SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Extrude Honed Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 06:33 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
I've had a couple of these engines with 400k on them.
Btw, I love everything about this sentence.

If someone was to ask my why I went with a Lexus over a BMW/Mercedes, I want to show them that sentence.
Old 01-27-20, 08:26 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
Btw, I love everything about this sentence.

If someone was to ask my why I went with a Lexus over a BMW/Mercedes, I want to show them that sentence.
My original 1990 LS400 had 400k when I sold it. I had a 1998 GS400 with 200K and another 99 with 400k. My LS430 (sold to a friend) has almost 300k now. My IS350 had 200K. My wife's IS300 (manual!) has 400K. My last couple Lexus didn't have remarkable mileage (IS-F 120k, SC430 130k). Through all of that, no mechanical failures. Not once. Just maintenance stuff.
Old 01-27-20, 08:41 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by RRocket
My original 1990 LS400 had 400k when I sold it. I had a 1998 GS400 with 200K and another 99 with 400k. My LS430 (sold to a friend) has almost 300k now. My IS350 had 200K. My wife's IS300 (manual!) has 400K. My last couple Lexus didn't have remarkable mileage (IS-F 120k, SC430 130k). Through all of that, no mechanical failures. Not once. Just maintenance stuff.
I’ve wanted a Toyota for a while now, this is why. Music to my ears as a relatively new owner.

Now the only question is which will last longer, my Miata or my SC?

Miata is 27 years old and going strong despite a little rocker panel rust from the East Coast.

Gotta love Japanese engineering in the 90s/00s.
Old 01-28-20, 08:13 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I’m not saying the catch can hurts anything by any means. I’m saying that with all that oil in the intake you have a bad PCV valve. Either a weak or broken spring. This is just like back a couple of years ago . One of the members thought they had bad valve seals. The fact was he had a bad PCV valve letting in lots of oil. What small amounts of oil vapors from the lighter factions of the oil isn’t really a issue. If it’s still a concern for you. Read up on noack volatility. Pennzoil platinum ultra has the lowest noack number that I know of. IMO the place for catch cans is with forced induction and huge cam setups. I think there is too much fear mongering about PCV systems. A proper PCV system is important to long engine life. It reduces crankcase pressure, which reduces oil leakage, improved power, improved fuel economy. It makes the oil last much longer. It reduces sludge buildup.

that said a catch can doesn’t hurt a thing, as long as you still maintain the rest of the PCV system.
Old 01-28-20, 12:40 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I’m not saying the catch can hurts anything by any means. I’m saying that with all that oil in the intake you have a bad PCV valve. Either a weak or broken spring. This is just like back a couple of years ago . One of the members thought they had bad valve seals. The fact was he had a bad PCV valve letting in lots of oil. What small amounts of oil vapors from the lighter factions of the oil isn’t really a issue. If it’s still a concern for you. Read up on noack volatility. Pennzoil platinum ultra has the lowest noack number that I know of. IMO the place for catch cans is with forced induction and huge cam setups. I think there is too much fear mongering about PCV systems. A proper PCV system is important to long engine life. It reduces crankcase pressure, which reduces oil leakage, improved power, improved fuel economy. It makes the oil last much longer. It reduces sludge buildup.

that said a catch can doesn’t hurt a thing, as long as you still maintain the rest of the PCV system.
Amsoil Signature Series offers the same NOACK as Pennzoil Platinum.

It's what I've always run in my Lexus.
Old 01-28-20, 05:29 PM
joemg
Instructor

There was no actual oil in the intake tract, which would definitely indicate a valve failure. There was, I think, normal buildup for a car with 106k on the walls. It looked pretty consistent with other cars I've worked on that had high miles.

I'll see how much is in the catch can next time I do an oil change and go from there.
Old 10-21-21, 03:11 PM
Andreiu
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to revive this thread.

Even with a working PCV, you will get a good bit of oil coming out and into the intake. V8 can create a lot of blow by when you floor it. At the track I will get about 6-8oz in a 20 minute session. The catch can helps a lot keeping my intake clean, airflow clear, and avoid fowling plugs in demanding corners.

I get about 4 oz/5k miles with regular driving.
Old 10-22-21, 02:57 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too would like to see the results after 5K miles. I put a catch can on my Turbo MR2 and I catch a lot but I haven't pulled the intake off the SC to check it out.
Old 10-26-21, 06:20 AM
Roki187
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After digging deep on CL to find ways to add some power, I came across this thread where a LS400 (same intake manifold as us) gained 20hp/25tq and the power starts 500rpm earlier in the band.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rude-hone.html

So I grabbed a manifold off ebay (I used a LS430 manifold, same thing but has an extra vacuum port or 2 to cap off) and shipped it off to Extrude Hone in Irwin, PA. This is the same shop that did the one in the thread above.

They were easy to work with and turned it around pretty fast.

(NOTE: you'll need new gaskets if you do this since they take it apart to extrude hone it. You need the manifold gaskets, the plenum gaskets (gasket between top and bottom pieces), the side gasket for the vacuum actuator, and the throttle body gasket.)

I also installed this catch can after seeing how much buildup was on the inside of the TB/manifold (I have 106k and it was BAD, I want to keep the new one clean):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $25 you can't go wrong, it's solid CNC aluminum. Just don't use the hose included, there are a lot of complaints, get some fuel line to be safe. I used 3/8" fuel line.

I'll take a pic of the catch can next time I pop the hood. It's mounted off of my driver side strut tower brace. This thread used the same catch can I did, they mounted on the passenger side strut tower brace:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...with-pics.html

I don't have any dyno numbers for you, but it certainly is a noticeable change and seems consistent with the dyno sheet that the power comes on sooner and harder.

Sorry if the pics aren't great, it's a hard thing to really show you, it just looks shiny and smooth.

I think I may have found a place that can tune our ECUs, so I'll have a dyno sheet of the result of all my mods after the tune.

PS. If anyone decides to do this, my take-off manifold is available.

what was the cost of the honing? I picked up a mani and am hoping to do a max effort N/A setup soon
Or a 2j swap, I do have an extra one 😬
Old 10-26-21, 07:01 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roki187
what was the cost of the honing? I picked up a mani and am hoping to do a max effort N/A setup soon
Or a 2j swap, I do have an extra one 😬
2JZ will definitely give you more power. I did a max N/A effort and it's nice, but it's no 2JZ.

I believe it was around a grand if memory serves.
Old 10-26-21, 08:36 AM
Roki187
8th Gear

That’s not bad, I was thinking on a full exhaust (headers included), honed intake mani with cold air intake with an intake enclosure and tuned ecu 30 wheel would be nice. I have an extra intake manifold already
2j build would be oh so nice but with parts on backorders with no eta that may be a never ending project
and I have no more room
Old 10-28-21, 04:01 PM
Roki187
8th Gear

Here are the pics of the catch can. I strongly recommend getting one of these, they're so cheap. I wish I had taken pictures of how disgusting the buildup on the throttle body/intake manifold was before cleaning it.

Apologies for the lighting, the sun wasn't cooperating, lol.
sorry to revive but what intake inlet is that?
Old 10-28-21, 04:11 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roki187
sorry to revive but what intake inlet is that?
Do you mean the piece between the airbox and the intake pipe in this pic? Thats a 90mm > 80mm Silicone reducer hose (got it on ebay). I cut the "accordion" section of the OEM intake pipe, it's hard pipe after that so you can just hose clamp the silicone reducer to it after you cut that part off.

Quick Reply: Extrude Honed Intake Manifold