SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Power Folding Door Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 03:54 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Btw I have an entire exterior driver mirror unit for sale. No glass bc it broke. Lmk if you're interest so you can tinker with it.
Old 03-06-20, 11:01 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Btw I have an entire exterior driver mirror unit for sale. No glass bc it broke. Lmk if you're interest so you can tinker with it.
Thank you for the offer! I think I'm good for right now. I really liked the work you did on your mirrors in the thread I linked above. You've done a lot of innovative mods on here that I've come across thumbing through the archives.
Old 03-22-21, 06:07 PM
joemg
Instructor

Ok, its been a while that these have been staring at me begging to be installed. So today I started the installation. The new switch was plug and play and all functions work (besides the power fold). Both mirrors are plug and play (besides the powerfold). One thing about the mirrors is that it looks like the new ones are autodim which ours weren't. The autodimming seems not to be functioning and they're kinda dark. Besides that, the new viewing angle on the passenger side is fantastic, I really wish I could track down the EUDM one for the driver side.

I didn't even start figuring out how to make them powerfold yet, it was getting late in the day and once I saw the autodim may not be functioning I started to think about possibly swapping door ECUs rather than trying to get clever with wiring. Does anyone know if I can just swap the MPX units with the JDM ones? Will the 02-05 ones work the same? Will it cause any unintended side effects?

Last edited by joemg; 03-22-21 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 10:56 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

If my car's side mirrors have autodim I'm pretty sure yours has it too. Just make sure the switch on the rear view mirror is set to on.
Old 03-22-21, 11:23 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
If my car's side mirrors have autodim I'm pretty sure yours has it too. Just make sure the switch on the rear view mirror is set to on.

hmmm.. weird, maybe the JDM ones are just tinted? They're a lot darker than my originals. I checked the autodim on the rearview, the green light is on.

Old 03-23-21, 09:19 AM
digitatc
Instructor

From that angle it looks dark. Does it change color (light/dark) with the on/off switch ?
Old 03-23-21, 09:56 AM
joemg
Instructor

From that angle it looks dark. Does it change color (light/dark) with the on/off switch ?
Nope, it just stays like that. The passenger side isn't quite as dark, but still tinted. When you're outside and the sun is out, it's not that bad, but it would be nice if it would adjust.

I'm going to try a JDM door computer and see what happens. From what I've read, the GS guys who switched to Aristo mirrors/door ECUs were just plug and play and everything worked.

I'll update the thread as things unfold.

The extended viewing angle is so nice though, you can see practically every lane on a highway with just a glance. I'm going to keep looking for the EUDM driver's mirror glass, but it seems like a needle in a foreign haystack.
Old 03-24-21, 05:27 PM
joemg
Instructor

Interesting, thumbing through yahoo japan, some look like our glass and some look like dark like mine:
https://autoparts.beforward.jp/detai...rs/PA43075852/

Does anyone know what happens if you disconnect an auto-dim mirror while it's in the dimmed state? does it just stay wherever it is when the car is turned off?

I'm wondering if they made some purposefully "tinted" or if it's just the autodim not functioning.
Old 03-24-21, 05:35 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Your mirror doesn't look like purple does it?
If it's purplish the autodim feature is broken.
Old 03-24-21, 05:42 PM
joemg
Instructor

Your mirror doesn't look like purple does it?
If it's purplish the autodim feature is broken.
No, it's uniform and clear, just dark. I've seen some of the pics of when the "dimming fluid" inside gets messed up and makes psychedelic colors. These are totally usable, just noticeably darker than my originals, the left one more than the right.
Old 03-24-21, 05:47 PM
digitatc
Instructor

I guess it's something special in Japan.
Old 03-24-21, 05:50 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

i wonder if you can find the voltage that auto dims the mirror.

Apply that voltage to the mirror and see if you can turn the feature off (And then disconnect the power to see if it will stay that way)

This is not an apple to apple comparison, but I know you can use a 9v Battery to test a 12Volt Sprinkler Solenoid.
Old 03-24-21, 05:54 PM
joemg
Instructor

I guess it's something special in Japan.

As much as I love cool JDM street cred, I'm hoping when I put the JDM door computer in it gets lighter, lol. Worst case, i could always swap my original glass into the new mirror.

One other interesting thing I learned is that the angle of the driver side and passenger side mirrors are different, so when you swap a RHD set in, they're slightly off from the original (because the "driver side" is reversed). I've seen some of the 2GS guys swap the JDM internals into USDM housings to fix this. I'm not 100% sure yet if it matters, I have full visibility at maximum adjustment, but I guess it would be nice to have more flexibility. We'll see how things go, my first priority is to get 100% functionality including the powerfold/oem button.
Old 03-24-21, 05:56 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
i wonder if you can find the voltage that auto dims the mirror.

Apply that voltage to the mirror and see if you can turn the feature off (And then disconnect the power to see if it will stay that way)

This is not an apple to apple comparison, but I know you can use a 9v Battery to test a 12Volt Sprinkler Solenoid.

damn, that's a brilliant idea I wish I had thought of before I put them into the car. I might use that once I pull the doors back apart and swap the computer (if it stays dark).
Old 03-26-21, 12:17 PM
joemg
Instructor

So I'm going to install the JDM door computers this weekend, here's my question: Do I install the JDM "driver's side" unit on the US driver's side, or do I keep the right one on the right, and the left one on the left? (since it was originally from a RHD car, the driver's side was on the right)

My thinking is that you would keep driver's side on the driver's side (effectively swapping them from their original locations), because the driver's door has extra buttons and whatnot the passenger side doesn't. They have 2 different part numbers, so there must be a difference.

If anyone actually knows how these little MPX computers work, I would love some insight.

Quick Reply: Power Folding Door Mirrors