SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Power Folding Door Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 12:35 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Ok, door ECUs are in. Mirrors fold with the oem button, everything works on both doors (including memory) except the passenger window button the driver's side (oddly the pasenger window lock button works). I tried swapping the ECUs, but the only effect of swapping sides was that the "R" and "L" on the mirror control swapped, passenger window button on the driver's side still didn't work.

Aside from that, they don't "auto" fold when you turn the car off, maybe that was a function of the actual ECU on the JDM models if they even did that.

For now, I'm using the top down button as a workaround to put the passenger window down until I figure out how to wire it to work again. (Top up/down works fine, including all windows)

Video of mirrors in action:

If anyone has a really strong understanding of the door/window wiring and can help me figure out how to wire the driver's side "passenger window button" to work again, please chime in.

I'm also interesting in how to make them auto-fold when I turn the car off, but getting the button functioning is higher priority.

If I could get my hands on a wiring diagram for both the US and JDM MPX units, I could easily figure out what's different and repin the harness.
Attached Thumbnails Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_8528.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_8527.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_8525.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_8524d.jpeg  

Last edited by joemg; 03-27-21 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 01:59 PM
joemg
Instructor

As far as the glass goes... It looks like the left and right sides have different angles, so I swapped my USDM glass into the JDM housings. I'll go for a drive later and see if that fixed the viewing angle issue, if not, I'll have to pull the housings apart and swap frames.

The JDM glass is just REALLY tinted glass. I have tinted windows and the mirrors autodim, so this is actually super annoying. I like them better with the original glass, unfortunately that means giving up the wider viewing angle on the passenger side. I guess it's not that big a deal.

this thread was super helpful in pulling the glass off:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...de-mirror.html

Here are pics of the USDM driver & passenger mirror glass next to each other, you can see one is much taller (different angle) than the other. It would make sense the JDM glass is the same way, but in respect to a RHD driver.
Attached Thumbnails Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_8530d.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_8529d.jpeg  
Old 03-27-21, 02:13 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

That is really cool Joemg. I know that you checked this out but just to ask the obvious, did you plug the passenger side window switches back in? If so, maybe it is a switch problem. I can't remember if the switches use the same connector, if they do, you could try using the driver side switch on the passenger side just to confirm whether the switch is the problem.
Old 03-27-21, 02:26 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
That is really cool Joemg. I know that you checked this out but just to ask the obvious, did you plug the passenger side window switches back in? If so, maybe it is a switch problem. I can't remember if the switches use the same connector, if they do, you could try using the driver side switch on the passenger side just to confirm whether the switch is the problem.
haha, yes, and all the other buttons are working (which share the same harness). The driver door and passenger door switches have different harnesses, the driver's side has both window controls, window lock, and door lock. The passenger just has locks and window. (in fact, the passenger side has 2 small harnesses, the driver side has 1 big one)

You did give me a good idea, though, which is to go look at the JDM switches and see if anything interesting jumps out at me. Worst case scenario, I can just wire the driver switch to the same wires as the passenger switch, but what a pain.

EDIT: JDM switch looks pretty much identical except for the plastic surround:
https://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auction...173#enlargeimg

Last edited by joemg; 03-27-21 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 04:22 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Yes, I knew about the extra buttons but couldn't remember whether there were extra connectors on the driver's side to account for the extra switches. However, that still doesn't mean that the passenger switch itself hasn't gone bad. If you can figure out the pinout, you can check to see if the switch is actually making contact or not. Or you could take the switch apart and clean up the contacts and make sure that the mechanisms are working right. (Or just get a new switch...) It really does sound like it is a switch that is not working.
Old 03-27-21, 04:40 PM
joemg
Instructor

Yes, I knew about the extra buttons but couldn't remember whether there were extra connectors on the driver's side to account for the extra switches. However, that still doesn't mean that the passenger switch itself hasn't gone bad. If you can figure out the pinout, you can check to see if the switch is actually making contact or not. Or you could take the switch apart and clean up the contacts and make sure that the mechanisms are working right. (Or just get a new switch...) It really does sound like it is a switch that is not working.

hmmm... You know what I'll do, when I open the doors again I'll swap the original driver side MPX in and test the switch. If it works, it's the MPX, if it doesn't, I'll start troubleshooting the switch like you said.

quick update on the mirrors:
swapping the USDM glass back in didn't really help the viewing angle issue. It seems common on JDM mirror swaps of other cars that the housings have different angles, so you have to swap the jdm internals onto the usdm frame and put it back together. I'll be tackling this next time I open up the doors to work on this. I'll try to take some pics and note anything I learn. On the bright side, my original housings were in a bit better condition than the JDM ones (not that they were in bad shape), so at least it's a good excuse to swap that.

My jdm glass was a REALLY dark tint, but i'm not 100% they're all like that. Mine were specifically "green tint" in the listing. If anyone decides to ever do this in the future, pass on the green glass ones incase you want to use the JDM glass once you swap the frames.
Old 03-28-21, 09:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

It could also be that a pin backed out of the connector in the harness that goes to the switch, so be sure to check out the connectors in the harness.
Old 03-28-21, 09:17 AM
joemg
Instructor

It could also be that a pin backed out of the connector in the harness that goes to the switch, so be sure to check out the connectors in the harness.
Yeah, that's totally possible. I did struggle to get that switch out a little before I realized the best way to pry at it. Maybe one of the wires got snagged on the way out or something.

I would be so happy if that's all it is.
Old 03-28-21, 11:37 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I am in the UK and have power folding mirrors. I asked the Dealer if there was an option to fold the mirrors when the car is locked and was told there wasn't. Also checked the C Best settings and there is not an option there.
If you find a way to do it Joe, please share as I would love mine to do it.
Old 03-28-21, 01:23 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Joe, from the video I see you use the mirror button to control the fold. How do you control the tilt and movement of the mirror? Just curious.
Old 03-28-21, 01:47 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by WIL44
I am in the UK and have power folding mirrors. I asked the Dealer if there was an option to fold the mirrors when the car is locked and was told there wasn't. Also checked the C Best settings and there is not an option there.
If you find a way to do it Joe, please share as I would love mine to do it.

Thank you, this is very helpful! Once I get the button and the viewing angle sorted, I'll come up with a clever way to have them auto-fold. I can probably trigger it when the car is put in park or when the alarm is armed or something. I haven't had a chance to wrap my head around exactly how yet.

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Joe, from the video I see you use the mirror button to control the fold. How do you control the tilt and movement of the mirror? Just curious.

It's oem controls, I just swapped the JDM/UK mirror controls. It's exactly the same but instead of just the headlight washer button, there's a powerfold button as well. They still tilt in reverse and the memory functions as well.

The following users liked this post:
Pumabot (10-27-21)
Old 03-28-21, 01:54 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Joe, on the Auto folding when power off subject, I was thinking if you can just simply add the relay to the fold off line and have it trigger when key off. Doable ?
Old 03-28-21, 02:35 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Joe, on the Auto folding when power off subject, I was thinking if you can just simply add the relay to the fold off line and have it trigger when key off. Doable ?
That would be great, any thoughts on how to trigger when key off? Is there a type of relay that does that?

The oem button is a pushbutton switch not a momentary switch, which might complicate things slightly and it only functions when the car is on/acc. (if you press it while the car is off, when you turn it on it will adjust the mirrors to match the button position.)

When I get time to think about it, I'll look into what mechanism aftermarket powerfold windows use to trigger this function. Maybe there are some clues there on how to approach it.
Old 04-08-21, 02:54 AM
joemg
Instructor

So I got my hands on a JDM/UK switch pretty cheap on ebay.co.uk. Unfortunately, no luck, still no passenger window control. Does anyone know where I can find the pinouts/wiring diagram for both the US and UK door MPX units?

Basically like these:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...u-pinouts.html

Does anyone know where those diagrams came from?

I found this on ebay and ordered it, if I could find one for the RHD cars I could pinpoint the difference.
Attached Thumbnails Power Folding Door Mirrors-s-l1600.jpg  

Last edited by joemg; 04-08-21 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 04:45 AM
joemg
Instructor

quick update... I hooked up techstream and tested the buttons. The driver side driver window button shows as being pressed in techstream, the passenger window does not. This indicates to me the issue is between the switch and the driver door ECU. My guess is I need to repin the harness once I figure out which pins are used on the RHD door ECUs.
The following users liked this post:
WIL44 (04-08-21)

Quick Reply: Power Folding Door Mirrors