SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Power Folding Door Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 07:51 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

Ok, so it was a bad door computer. After a while the passenger window would just act on its own and that tipped me off. I just swapped with 2 EUDM door units, they do the same thing as the JDM ones without paying more for "JDM". I got them on ebay.co.uk for about $50 each. Everything works perfectly, no wiring required. Just plug and play.

So if anyone is considering this in the future, you just need the eu/jdm door computers and the eu/jdm switch (and obviously the mirrors). It takes very little time to install, just pop the door cards off, 2 bolts for the MPX unit and you're done. The switch just pops out and swaps. The mirrors can be used as/is (I have been for a while) but ideally I'm going to swap the innards into the USDM frames/housings because they are spaced out from the car slightly differently on each side.

Now, at some point I want to get a little fancy and find a way to trigger the fold when I shut the car off.

(I forgot to take pics of the EUDM units. They have a white label like the USDM but a different part number, the JDM ones have the blue label shown in my previous pics)
Old 08-28-21, 01:10 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Could you list all the part numbers involved so that they'll be all in one place. This is really cool Joe. Nice job.
The following users liked this post:
joemg (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 03:50 PM
joemg
Instructor

USDM (White Label) Door MPX: 89223-2410 (Left) & 89222-24010
JDM (Blue label) Door MPX: 89223-24020 (Left) & 89222-24020 (Right)
EUDM (White label) Door MPX: 89223-24030 (Left) & 89222-24030 (Right)

I don't seem to have a part number for the switch in my notes, but it is easily identified when scrolling through listings since it has 2 buttons at the top instead of just 1.
I believe the blue label JDM MPX units would work just fine, I think I just got a bad unit since the window started doing its own thing occasionally. Both the JDM and UK models were RHD and had power fold.

When I get around to swapping the innards of the power folding ones onto the frame/housing of the USDM ones at some point I'll try to take some pics for everyone.
Harold57 (08-28-21)
Old 10-26-21, 05:38 PM
joemg
Instructor

So I finally got to taking apart my USDM mirrors. It's a real pain, even after getting the first one apart and knowing exactly how it holds together I still managed to break a ton of plastic clips on the second one. The other thing I learned is that I don't think you can swap the frames like on some cars. The part that controls the angle the mirror sits at is the same part you need from the JDM one with the motor. So what that means is that the passenger side mirror has to be turned all the way in so you have a normal field of vision in the mirror. It's really not bad, I've been driving with it for months now and it's fine, I can still see everything I need to.

So here's the take-aways for anyone considering this:

1) buy it in your paint code and really make sure its in good condition cosmetically. You can technically swap the housings, but I don't recommend it.
2) if you can find the LHD euro mirrors that have power folding, that would be perfect, but they're in every euro market except the UK (which is RHD like Japan). Not a lot of those out there.
3) you'll still be able to operate your vehicle safely, but just know that you're going to have to adjust the passenger side to tilt in as much as possible.

Maybe you could have a wider range of adjustment if there was a way to replace the nylon wormdrive screws that control the mirror glass adjustment with longer ones? I'm not sure to be honest.

Here's some pics of the mirror disassembled just for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_9079d.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_9078d.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_9077d.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_9075d.jpeg   Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_9081d.jpeg  

Power Folding Door Mirrors-img_9080d.jpeg  

Last edited by joemg; 10-26-21 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-26-21, 06:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Be sure to post the source if anyone can find the nylon worm gears. I gave up on mine and used a donor mirror to replace mine because it had a bare spot in the middle.
Old 11-07-21, 10:12 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Mirror Diagrams

Hello guys. I am currently upgrading my 2008 SC430 side view mirrors to the 2010 mirrors. I am not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I have attached a pin diagram from TIS that shows what happens when power and ground is applied to various pin combinations and the resulting functions of the mirror with said applications. Power and ground has to be applied without the pigtail connected to the car. The diagram is used to diagnose problems with the mirror. There is a pin combination that when power and ground are applied to the correct corresponding pins, the mirror will darken and lighten. I am not sure if the pin diagram is the same for pre-2008 or non US models although I believe it is probably the same. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
joemg (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21, 12:44 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaalib3
Hello guys. I am currently upgrading my 2008 SC430 side view mirrors to the 2010 mirrors. I am not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I have attached a pin diagram from TIS that shows what happens when power and ground is applied to various pin combinations and the resulting functions of the mirror with said applications. Power and ground has to be applied without the pigtail connected to the car. The diagram is used to diagnose problems with the mirror. There is a pin combination that when power and ground are applied to the correct corresponding pins, the mirror will darken and lighten. I am not sure if the pin diagram is the same for pre-2008 or non US models although I believe it is probably the same. Hope this helps.
the 2010’s have folding mirrors? Are the wires there on a us 08? Dash switch needed?
Old 11-08-21, 12:55 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
the 2010’s have folding mirrors? Are the wires there on a us 08? Dash switch needed?

To my knowledge no USDM SC's had folding mirrors. The 2010's had lights and looked a little different.
Old 11-11-21, 09:48 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

I don't know yet if my mirrors are folding. They are probably not because they are the US model mirrors. But I will review the diagram to see which wires I need to apply power to and report back. If my mirrors ARE folding, it is my guess that I will have to update the driver and passenger door ECU along with the mirror switch to the 2010 JDM or Europe model for the folding mirrors to function. Right now all I can say is that the 2010 mirrors are a direct bolt up and plug N play. Everything functions except the puddle lights and the turn signals. So far I have managed to get the puddle lights working using two relays (one for each side) tied to my door sils. I will need to splice in two more relays (again, one for each side) placed in the engine compartment to get the turn signals working. If you don't care about those functions (turn signals and puddle lights) and just want the cosmetic improvements, you can just install the mirrors as is. They come pre-painted to match your car's factory color.

Fyi, our cars have constant positive 12V for the door sils and turn signals which I did not know initially. The ground is what is switched, not the power. That is why a relay is needed on the positive signal wires for the puddle lights and turn signals. Pin # 2 is the positive signal wire for the puddle light and Pin #16 is the positive signal wire for the turn signal. You will NOT need to send a ground signal to the mirror once it is plugged into your factory harness. Just some basic info in case someone else wants to do this same upgrade.
Old 11-12-21, 10:17 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtaalib3
I don't know yet if my mirrors are folding. They are probably not because they are the US model mirrors. But I will review the diagram to see which wires I need to apply power to and report back. If my mirrors ARE folding, it is my guess that I will have to update the driver and passenger door ECU along with the mirror switch to the 2010 JDM or Europe model for the folding mirrors to function. Right now all I can say is that the 2010 mirrors are a direct bolt up and plug N play. Everything functions except the puddle lights and the turn signals. So far I have managed to get the puddle lights working using two relays (one for each side) tied to my door sils. I will need to splice in two more relays (again, one for each side) placed in the engine compartment to get the turn signals working. If you don't care about those functions (turn signals and puddle lights) and just want the cosmetic improvements, you can just install the mirrors as is. They come pre-painted to match your car's factory color.

Fyi, our cars have constant positive 12V for the door sils and turn signals which I did not know initially. The ground is what is switched, not the power. That is why a relay is needed on the positive signal wires for the puddle lights and turn signals. Pin # 2 is the positive signal wire for the puddle light and Pin #16 is the positive signal wire for the turn signal. You will NOT need to send a ground signal to the mirror once it is plugged into your factory harness. Just some basic info in case someone else wants to do this same upgrade.

If you need any additional wiring info, I have the electrical service manual I posted earlier in the thread, so I can look up anything you need and take a pic of it. Let us know how it goes and please confirm if they power-fold. I also don't think so from the research I did on the topic, but I'd like to confirm that with someone who actually has the mirrors in hand.
Old 11-12-21, 11:48 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

So I can confirm that my mirrors do not have the power folding option. Pin #3 and Pin #11 are the pins that are used to control the power folding option. On my 2010 wire harness, there are no wires at those pin locations. So there is nothing to send power to for the mirrors to fold. One more thing, for the relays, make sure to use solid state relays also know as: SSR. If you use the standard mechanical relay from your local auto parts store, you will hear a clicking noise when the relays turn on and off. Solid state relays do not make noise when they operate.
joemg (11-13-21)
Old 11-18-21, 11:20 PM
DPlainview
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I may have a bad mirror switch. Seems to work on passenger side, but when I flip to drivers side....works sporadically. If anyone doing this change out has one for sale....without folding mirrors....please PM me. I have yet to test the switch, but may need new.
I've seen a lot of people referencing TechStream. Is there an official version of Techstream? Seems to be some knockoff sort of things online and would like to ensure I'm ordering the correct software/cable for a 05 SC430.
Also, any advice on the repair manuals? Found them on ebay for $250, and will likely order them if that's the going rate. I still have my 1986 Toyota Celica manual and it's the very best repair manual I've ever used.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 11-19-21, 07:06 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by DPlainview
I may have a bad mirror switch. Seems to work on passenger side, but when I flip to drivers side....works sporadically. If anyone doing this change out has one for sale....without folding mirrors....please PM me. I have yet to test the switch, but may need new.
I've seen a lot of people referencing TechStream. Is there an official version of Techstream? Seems to be some knockoff sort of things online and would like to ensure I'm ordering the correct software/cable for a 05 SC430.
Also, any advice on the repair manuals? Found them on ebay for $250, and will likely order them if that's the going rate. I still have my 1986 Toyota Celica manual and it's the very best repair manual I've ever used.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
It may not be your switch, it’s your mirror. There are many threads addressing this problem and how to fix it. Do a search for this subject. For TechStream, as I understand, if you are dealer you can purchase the official software. Expensive though.
DPlainview (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21, 08:12 PM
DPlainview
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
It may not be your switch, it’s your mirror. There are many threads addressing this problem and how to fix it. Do a search for this subject. For TechStream, as I understand, if you are dealer you can purchase the official software. Expensive though.
Appreciate the heads up on the mirror. Thanks for that. I think you've posted some good info on the Techstream on another link so I'll head over there to ask. Owned this 2005 SC430 for 2 days.....coming up to speed quickly on this site so many thanks to everyone for the postings. Informative reading. Still got 6 or so issues to resolve.
Old 05-18-23, 10:15 AM
joemg
Instructor

Quick update. The Jdm mirrors and door ecus have been working fine.

I found this on eBay for having the mirrors open and close on lock/unlock:

“For TOYOTA PREVIA 2000-2005 POWER folding mirror retractable control unit box”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255202906119

Toyota apparently uses the same power mirror harness on a ton of cars. Fit right into our switch when I test fitted it.

WIL44 (05-19-23)