SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help Glovebox area

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 01:53 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffy5
After 1-week of not having my SC430 at the Lexus Dealership this is the re-cap or should I call it fiasco:

Thats it! Whew!!
WHO WOO!
It sounds like it was painful while it lasted, but now you have the problem resolved. Thanks for the update
Old 02-12-20, 02:06 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

So glad the dealer stepped up to do it right this time. Some repairs take time unfortunately. Sounds like you ended up paying only $100 for the repair. Was this with an extended maintenance plan? If so, did that $100 include the brakes? Not quite clear about the information with costs you included. That would be a good plan that turned out to be a good purchase.
Old 02-12-20, 04:41 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

YEs, 1565.00 included NC Tax. The additional 100 was my deductible for the Windshield, not included in the 1565.00
Old 02-12-20, 04:42 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi,

No I paid 1565.00 to Lexus! Then 100.00 more to Glass company for the replacemennt windshield.
Old 02-15-20, 07:23 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Ouch, that hurt (financially)! Glad that you got it resolved though!

So in your mind, which gasket was the problem child or was it the sum of several of them?
Old 02-16-20, 04:22 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Angry Follow-up

Hi Harold,

According the technician, the combination, the door belt is was the last seal and that solved the issue, MAYBE, Please read on-------

Update again, picked up my car from having it detailed, I will post a picture on another thread, I go to start my car, and the VSC off, VSC and ABS lights came on. Then I go to turn on my A/C control panel and it was not working, the only thing that was working on that panel was the clock and the Hazard light switch. Then I checked the Radio, that worked, so I continued to check other controls, the turn signals did not work.

Now I am really MAD! So here it is Saturday, I call Lexus and they are open till 3pm on Saturdays, Service writer and assistant manager greet me, I leave my car spanking clean and they give me another loaner.

I get home, my wife says look at the driveway, there was a small spot with a light oil on the ground. I then emailed and texted my service advisor to let the tech know!

Googled around, apparently if you have a leak or low brake fluid, those 3 lights will come on!!! Not sure if they bleed brakes when they did my front and rear brakes, fluid low? Since there is oil on the ground, my guess a brake line is leaking~~Maybe the Technician did not hang the Caliper and stressed the brake line?

Now the other problems, A/C panel and turn signals, who knows? I will assume maybe blown fuse, not sure if they are on the same circuit, hoping that is the fix? Or maybe the water intrusion is not fixed? Hope not!

However the Alarm/Remote system did work, the original reason the car went in for service in the first place.

I enjoy my 2003 SC with 43K miles, this is my daily driver, I have no choice but to get these items fixed. When they call me and say something else is bad, (not paying for that) I did not have any leaks prior to them turning the front and rear rotor's with new pads all around.

If this is a water issue again, i have never had that A/C panel stop working along with the turn signals--If water, then all those seals that were replaced was a waste of money, I hope not, since then this will also be a payment issue.

So tomorrow we will hear what is up?

Thanks for any feedback!

B-

Old 02-16-20, 06:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Mercy, sorry to see that! Hopefully they will get the latest issues resolved. (Good to know regarding the low brake fluid and the warning lights though.)
Old 02-17-20, 10:34 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

So here it is 1:30 pm est. Lexus dealer has not called me with any updates on my car issues.
Old 02-18-20, 09:01 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Update:

Lexus dealership texted me with update, the connector on top of the glove box that they worked on last week continues to be the culprit. Lexus spent most of the day to come up with a solution for that connecter. They have not yet diagnosed the VSC lights from my recent break job.

1- Lexus is going to do a straight wire method and attempt to bypass that connector all together. They said they ordered some parts, not sure what that is since I did not ask. No charge for the additional work! Otherwise replacing that harness would cost thousands!

I will update this thread with anymore information I receive.

Does anybody got a picture of the connector above the inside of the Glove Box? Last week Technician said if you remove glove box, that is the location of the connector they worked on.

Thanks
B-

Old 02-18-20, 09:55 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Regarding the connector, there is no way to figure out what one they are working on! If I can, I will ask them to take picture of the work.
Old 02-18-20, 12:55 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Don't have a picture but you may be able to figure out which one from these two diagrams of the instrument panel area.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LHD Instrument panel 1.pdf (104.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf
LHD Instrument panel 2.pdf (193.4 KB, 59 views)
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 01:57 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Bob,

Thanks again for your awesome support! I will ask Technician to point out the connector in question, then I will re-post the answer!

Thanks again!!

B-
Old 02-21-20, 08:34 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Verdict in-Finally

Hi Friends,

Ok, car is at Lexus almost one-week, I respect the Dealership who has taken ownership to finally solve my electrical problems.

All the lights I mentioned, VSC, VSC off, ABS, turn signals not working, A/C panel would not turn on was related to the Connector I once had cleaned 2-years ago. (See Picture 1).

Attached is the photos of the connector and the wiring work that was completed to get all working! You can see the connector for sure had resistance, hence voltage drops.....

The wiring work does not look like it was fun, Yikes! (Picture 2). The only other choice was to purchase a new Wiring Harness at a price that was crazy, 5K. Of course there is used ones on E-Bay.

Having a leaky Original Windshield was the main culprit, Replacing new door seals, hopefully I do not have this issue again.

Lexus wants to keep the car until Monday so they can continue various test drives and also letting the car sit for a couple of days...Heck why not, I have the loaner;-). But I do miss my daily driver.

B-

Old 02-21-20, 05:58 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Hi Friends,

Ok, car is at Lexus almost one-week, I respect the Dealership who has taken ownership to finally solve my electrical problems.

All the lights I mentioned, VSC, VSC off, ABS, turn signals not working, A/C panel would not turn on was related to the Connector I once had cleaned 2-years ago. (See Picture 1).

Attached is the photos of the connector and the wiring work that was completed to get all working! You can see the connector for sure had resistance, hence voltage drops.....

The wiring work does not look like it was fun, Yikes! (Picture 2). The only other choice was to purchase a new Wiring Harness at a price that was crazy, 5K. Of course there is used ones on E-Bay.

Having a leaky Original Windshield was the main culprit, Replacing new door seals, hopefully I do not have this issue again.

Lexus wants to keep the car until Monday so they can continue various test drives and also letting the car sit for a couple of days...Heck why not, I have the loaner;-). But I do miss my daily driver.
B-
so glad it’s fixed for you!
can I ask a dumb question, why didn’t they just clean the connector?
Old 02-22-20, 01:40 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Bgw70,

They cleaned the connectors 2 years ago.. Lexus said it was beyond trying to clean, to many bad connections--

Thanks
B-
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (02-23-20)

Quick Reply: Help Glovebox area