SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help Glovebox area

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20 | 08:23 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

If the connector pins' and sockets' plating was eaten through, then Bob would have continued to experience problems in the future since that is one of the purposes (corrosion resistance) of the outer plating on the connectors. The dealership was right to try to cut their losses and replace the connectors. (Then again, they probably are going to charge for this, so there isn't likely to be any losses on their side.) Of course, a better solution would have been to replace the connectors with the same type but they may not have the tools and parts to do that.
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (03-11-20)
Old 02-23-20 | 03:46 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Harold,

The wiring harness does not give you much length to cut the old cables off and re-pin with same harness wire-----------Service advisor told me that multiple Technicians worked together along with the service manager to come up with this game plan for my car.

Also, if you look, the darker purple connectors, they are the spade Type that can be disconnected for individual troubleshooting. If you look at many of my post's on this crazy electrical problems, I had problems, dome light flickering on and Off, Roof not opening, A/C controls stopped working, VSC/ABS lights, Alarms system would not work, Windshield wipers got confused where to stop and continue on intermittent selection and notary signals. Problem with wire connections obviously raised many of my issues.

As mentioned the car is being test driven each day it is at Lexus. Car was completed on Friday, so they have 3 additional days to make sure we are good without issues.

Picking her up on Tuesday the 25th of Feb. The Lexus dealer is not charging me anything more.

At the same Dealership, I was told a couple was traveling from
Floriday to North Carolina and their SC 430 completely went dead. Turned out they also had a windshield Leak, same location passenger side! They had to replace Windshield and clean their connections. Apparently Lexus had QC issues with the Windshield, bad sealer during manufacturer.

If anybody has similar issues, take your Glove-box apart, look at the connector above the glove box and check to make sure you are good for no leaks, the leak was small enough over time 17 years to finally create issues. I never saw water in my car, carpet was always dry, so again it was small enough to create corrosion to wires~~

Hope this helps anybody.

B-
Old 02-23-20 | 06:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Yeah, I noticed that they put in additional wire length to make it fit (using crimp splices). Having all the wires connected by the quick connects will be helpful in debugging in the future for sure.

Very glad to see that Lexus isn't charging you anything. Sounds like you got a good dealer there. It is interesting that they've had other owners with the same problem. Definitely something for us all to be on the look out for. Thanks for letting us all know.
hoffy5 (02-23-20)
Old 03-02-20 | 07:42 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Still not fixed

Bad News--------

Picked up the car from Lexus Dealer on Friday, car was ok and drove 22 miles home. Parked car in Garage for the weekend. Went to start car this morning for it to heat up, when I went to get back into the car, the VSC Lights and ABS Light along wit the Heater controls would not work and the directionals did not work.
All of the lights was identical prior to Lexus re-doing the wiring!

So now what, I am ready to sell the car, but cannot since there is obvious issues!

Back to Lexus Today and had a meeting with the Service Manager and Assistant manager, here is part of the discussion:

1- Told them I cannot keep on throwing money at this car.

2- My Dashborad has been removed twice from the Lexus- Takata Bag Re-call's, maybe a wire got damaged from all the removals and or installations??

3- Also, I said it was time to call a Lexus Engineer, they said they called once, not sure if they called.

4- I mentioned that they Lexus same dealership also had a customer with a Leaky Windshield, and that person had to get new Windshield installed due to electrical issues. Hence Lexus issue from Factory?

5- Demanded the Manager needs contact Lexus District Manager and talk with Lexus about paying for this if it is a harness? Manager said he would work with me, again I said we cannot afford to be throwing parts at this car!

6- Also mentioned I cannot sell this car since nobody would purchase a car that did not work, dang, no turn signals, ABS and VSC lights on, ABS on, NO cool or Heating. etc.....

Thats' it for now, I almost had a panic attack in his office, I told the manger that!

Have my 3rd loaner, ES-350 111 miles, like the car, but want to put this issue to bed!

Pictures attached:

Old 03-02-20 | 08:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

So sorry to see this Hoffy. I hope that you and Lexus are able to get to the bottom of this issue.
hoffy5 (03-02-20)
Old 03-04-20 | 09:49 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Update from Lexus Dealer

I believe this is the turn of events for all my visits and problems:

1-The technician spliced in 4-wires to get the alarm/remote door locking work, I also had my brakes done. Then 2 days later, the VSC and ABS warning lights and A/C control unit along with the turn signals stopped working~~Bring car back to Dealer,

2- Before they then added all the new connections. My guess is they never checked the fuses and just assumed its was bad connectors and performed all that wiring.

3- I get car back and 2 more days later~~exact same issues ( VSC and ABS warning lights and A/C control unit along with the turn signals stopped working).

4-Back to Dealer, Car has been at Lexus since Monday. I received a text message that they found a Fuse was blown on Driver side junction box. Requested they text me the fuse# that was blown, attached is a picture of the fuse that was bad. Technician said they will be tracing the circuits to look for a failure of a component? Fuse MPX-IG has many on this list.

5-Current status, car is a Dealership and I have not heard back from results of replacing that fuse and or the circuit testing? I am hopeful that the fuse went bad due to age? Or maybe when he first spiced in 4 wires for the alarm/remote system, maybe the caused a short?

This is from Lexus Tech.
Old 03-04-20 | 10:29 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Good luck.
hoffy5 (03-04-20)
Old 03-05-20 | 02:46 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

The chances of your fuse blowing due to age is very small. It was most likely when they were splicing the wires together.

But no good technician would hand back a car without checking the dash lights were off after splicing a wire wire harness.

My guess is the wire harness splices were ok when the car was parked but when you started driving it or when you closed the door, one of the wires came loose. As I type this, I realize that the chances the EXACT same wire that is causing you problems came loose is not good. My guess is you have a bad component on the circuit

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 03-08-20 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-05-20 | 04:35 PM
VVTiBob

Yikes! splicing hot wires ? Removing harnesses with the battery still connected ? YIKES!
Old 03-06-20 | 07:51 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Dshngdaryl,

I believe you may be correct on that. I followed up with my service advisor on my status, he said they are 50% through checking circuits/components that are associated with MPX-IG (21 on the list I posted).

So I guess I have the 2020 ES 350 for another weekend.
Old 03-06-20 | 07:55 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi VVtiBob,

Not sure exactly if they did so, you would think not! I think Dshngdaryl is correct that something on a circuit may be bad or failing.
Old 03-09-20 | 06:30 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Verdict is In-Not Good!!!!!!!!!!!

Lexus just called, they said they finally figured out MY Problems, not good news:

1- The Evaporator Box has a leak, that has been the root of all my corrosion on wires!

2-The short was from the Driver Door Harness, has damaged wires and corrosion, see picture. That is the driver side, opening and closing door and some corrosion.

The cost is so much, I am shocked to say the least! I was told the evaporator box retails for 4300.00. And the harness around 600.00 NOW What to do, fix harness and sell car, or do all the work and keep car?

Lexus Corporate will help on the repair, all in I am looking at $2927.40. So what would you do? Fix harness trade in car? Or do the repairs?

B-

Old 03-09-20 | 09:45 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Here is the water from under the passenger Seat, water traces back up to Evaporator Box! (Passenger Seat removed) Still trying to decide! I also had the Manager/Technician make sure this vehicle never was under water, ok There!

Old 03-09-20 | 11:43 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

If it were me, AND I REALLY LOVED THE CAR, I would ask Lexus to cover all the bills prior to this last discovery, since they did not solve the problem.

Then I would find a good independent Lexus Mechanic and ask him to fix the wire harness and the Air Condition Evaporator. You can get a non OEM evaporator for $58 or a Lexus Evaporator for $300. It is part number 885013A050

You can buy a door wiring harness (used) from ebay for $22 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2010-L...3d1de5143ff7b7

But based on the fact that it seems like you are frustrated over the whole situation and you already have your car up for sale, I would trade it in. Selling a car with the harness spliced would probably make a sale harder than you want and reduce the value. However, the new people on the board have great new ideas for mods and such, so maybe someone is looking for an SC they can strip down and rebuild from the ground up.
hoffy5 (03-10-20)
Old 03-09-20 | 12:49 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default This is the part

Thanks for the help and suggestions! I do like the car and the part Evaporator Box that is leaking is the one attached. Not sure why it is so expensive? I am going to ask the Service Manager if he would do so, however I doubt,

but will ask!

Thanks!
B-

Quick Reply: Help Glovebox area