SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help Glovebox area

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 01:55 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

When I put that part number in Ebay, I come up with a heater core assembly for a couple hundred bucks. If you only need the box, you can probably get it cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05...ry!85012!US!-1

But it is a time consuming install.
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (03-10-20)
Old 03-10-20, 04:39 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
When I put that part number in Ebay, I come up with a heater core assembly for a couple hundred bucks. If you only need the box, you can probably get it cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05...ry!85012!US!-1

But it is a time consuming install.

Yes, that is the part, used 200.00 not bad, however I would have to find a capable person to do the work. I did talk with the Manager yesterday about all my previous repairs.......Manager is going to get back to me today 3-10-2020
Also mentioned to him, the door seals that were replaced, that had nothing to do with the leak, that's my opinion. Manager also said, he would sit down with techs and discuss that matter!

Main bone of contention, After 2 years of paying for the multiple repairs that where not needed, I believe now they probably did not have to do all the splicing, the previous time the connector was cleaned, the tech should have looked for the problem then. With all my trips to Lexus and monies spent, the electrical/door harness was the culprit for the shorts and the Evaporator box produced moisture/water to the connectors etc.

I was told yesterday, they only disconnect the front part of dash and never remove it completely for the Takata Recalls..my thinking was maybe it got damaged from the dash being removed twice, but they never removed dash!

The current state of my vehicle is, passenger seat removed, dash again has been pulled away from firewall so tech could look for leak, I also believe my carpet is out of car, driver door panel is off, who knows what else! For sure they finally did do a deep dive!!!

I also asked if I could meet with Lexus rep, he said he could set that up....however, if she sees and hears from me all the history of the worked performed, this may reflect negative on the dealer. So just maybe he will cut me some more slack on the repair! If I ever do meet with this rep, I can giver her this thread, YIKE'S

Sorry for the long post, I hope this may help someone, someday?

Old 03-10-20, 06:27 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Thanks for the help and suggestions! I do like the car and the part Evaporator Box that is leaking is the one attached. Not sure why it is so expensive? I am going to ask the Service Manager if he would do so, however I doubt,
but will ask!
Thanks!
B-
did they share how the evaporator box is leaking? They all produce moisture, especially in the humid months.
is the plastic box cracked, bad seal or clogged drain tube?

if is cracked, how does that happen?
it doesn’t happen.
Old 03-10-20, 06:35 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi

They said it was leaking, I will ask where! Still awaiting a call from them anyway regarding price reduction.

Thanks
B-
Old 03-11-20, 02:25 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received call from Manager at my Lexus dealership, they will not honor any past repair refunds or reduce the price of my issues. He did say, they contacted Lexus again for further consideration to reduce the LARGE repair bill.
If Lexus comes back with no more, than I have requested a meeting with the Southeast representative . That would mean, they would have to put my car back together again and I would have return loaner. The problem with that is my car does not have working A/C controls and turn signals--I guess the rep visits once every month.

The Evaporator Box, the plastic housing has a crack on the lower right corner, I have asked for a picture! You would think they could repair that crack, but they do not roll that way.

Hope to hear their answer today, Wednesday 3/11/20.
Old 03-11-20, 04:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received call from Manager at my Lexus dealership, they will not honor any past repair refunds or reduce the price of my issues. He did say, they contacted Lexus again for further consideration to reduce the LARGE repair bill.
If Lexus comes back with no more, than I have requested a meeting with the Southeast representative . That would mean, they would have to put my car back together again and I would have return loaner. The problem with that is my car does not have working A/C controls and turn signals--I guess the rep visits once every month.

The Evaporator Box, the plastic housing has a crack on the lower right corner, I have asked for a picture! You would think they could repair that crack, but they do not roll that way.

Hope to hear their answer today, Wednesday 3/11/20.
the big question becomes, how did the Evap box develop a crack?
cracks just don’t appear. It’s usually very sturdy and strong plastic.
when was your first airbag work vs the first time you had an electrical problem?
Old 03-11-20, 05:50 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi,

No clue how it got cracked? Lexus said age, that is probably not correct.
First Airbag recall was done a Lexus Dealership in Kansas!
Purchased car July of 2017 with 15K miles.
2nd Air-Bag was 4 months
I believe the problem happened by the first recall! Because weeks after getting my car, this all started with the Alarm system stops working after I wash my car! I tried to isolate, but obvious I could never find the Leak or issues!
Then it was off to Lexus and visit after visit here we are today with the 2 issues. That dang wire harness for sure caused the short, and by me opening and closing the door, hence shorts....
The Evap box plastic porting-housing is not sold alone, so they replace the entire Heat/AC B,that is why the part retails for 3200.00 and can be purchased for 2200.00 online.
Evaporator box leak created water in car/moisture, the harness I was told was due to opening and closing the door multiple times
So who knows how that box got cracked?

Thanks!
B-

Old 03-11-20, 09:58 AM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Something to think about ....
Several year ago my teenage son “misjudged” (his word) a turn while backing and ran over a parking block with his Corolla. In doing so he damaged, cracked, the EVAP emissions carbon canister container for the gas tank and lit the dashboard check engine light. I believe they are made of the same molded polyamide resin as your part. The replacement part was well over $600 bucks alone. But a tube of JBWeld was five bucks. Was never a problem again, and the car passed all Calif emissions testing. Just a thought.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-11-20 at 10:11 AM.
hoffy5 (03-11-20)
Old 03-11-20, 10:46 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

That sounds great, now would have to Ask Lexus if they would do that for me? If not, I could ask another Garage to do so!

Thanks-B

Old 03-11-20, 03:55 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Something to think about ....
Several year ago my teenage son “misjudged” (his word) a turn while backing and ran over a parking block with his Corolla. In doing so he damaged, cracked, the EVAP emissions carbon canister container for the gas tank and lit the dashboard check engine light. I believe they are made of the same molded polyamide resin as your part. The replacement part was well over $600 bucks alone. But a tube of JBWeld was five bucks. Was never a problem again, and the car passed all Calif emissions testing. Just a thought.
good call Bob, you and I were thinking the same thing. There is no pressure on the crack but I hope he enough access to apply the JB Weld...would have been better to apply the JBW from the inside but that won’t happen.
Old 03-12-20, 12:50 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Update:

Lexus will not kick in any more help for the repair. I did ask where the leak is, its on the seam , there is a gasket that holds the 2 pieces of the plastic box! I said too the manager, if I put in the harness,, would they JB Weld the Seam where the Leak is. He is going to check with his 18 year veteran mechanic to see if that might work and call me Friday morning and also send me pictures!!!

Stay tuned!
B-
Old 03-12-20, 06:16 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

Lexus will not kick in any more help for the repair. I did ask where the leak is, its on the seam , there is a gasket that holds the 2 pieces of the plastic box! I said too the manager, if I put in the harness,, would they JB Weld the Seam where the Leak is. He is going to check with his 18 year veteran mechanic to see if that might work and call me Friday morning and also send me pictures!!!

Stay tuned!
B-
and it’s too bad they cut the connector out...all those splices may come back to haunt you...sorry Hoffy5.
Old 03-13-20, 04:16 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Agree, for sure I am spooked about the wire harness! My wife said sell the car! Again, cannot due that without getting the car fixed. I have put so much money into the car, I will probably keep it.
Thanks!

B-
Old 03-14-20, 05:04 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Finally heard back from my Dealer. This is what they will now be performing on repairs:

1-Remove the entire Dashboard. Currently both of my seats are removed along with the front carpet.
2-Replace Harness for driver door
3-Remove the Evaporator box along with A/C evacuation-and recharge.
4-Seal the entire seam of the evaporator. Box. Not sure what they will be using for that. (2-Technicians feel confident that should fix the leak). I will get a picture.
5-Put it all back together, YIKES!

These repair's are extensive, Prior quote $3200.00 with new Evap. Box
New quote $1300.00 without new evaporator. box doing the repair.

My car has been residing in their shop this entire time, I have requested that they professionally clean my interior once repair is done. Car was spanking when I dropped it off, nothing worse than getting your car and having to go home and clean up any messes!

After much thought, when I first purchased the car with 15K miles, there was a slight odor, I believe the car had been leaking back then! So maybe it was a factory defect, I will never know. The electrical was the driver harness from day one also when I purchased the car, it was intermittent! Thanks to the awesome help from many of you, Bobvtti, BGW70, DshngDaryl, Harold57 and if I forgot someone, thank you!!!!!!

Here is what my car looked like when I brought in for service.

WHEW!

Old 03-14-20, 05:12 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

You have a beautiful car hoffy, I can certainly understand why you want to fix and keep her.
hoffy5 (03-15-20)

Quick Reply: Help Glovebox area