Help Glovebox area

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 06:29 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Help on Glove compartment

Hi Friends,

Can anyone please provide the take apart for the Glove Box area?

I know how to lower the Glove compartment, I need to know how to remove the plastic black covering above the blow Motor? Purpose is to see the wiring harness connector above.

Any help is MOST appreciated!!

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by hoffy5; 01-29-20 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 01-30-20, 10:03 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

This is a HUGE job..IF I UNDERSTAND your request. To get to the blower motor you have to take apart quite a few components following the recommended procedures...These three PDFs should help....you'll need each due to references to various components.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Blower OVERHAUL.pdf (193.2 KB, 79 views)
BlowerAssemblyComponents.pdf (217.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-30-20, 10:52 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Hi Bob

Appreciate all the pdf files! My Blower Motor is no problem. All I need to do is remove Glovebox, if you look above the Blower Motor there is a plastic shield/cover. I need to remove that shield, then I should be able to see a Wire Harness connector. That Connector had previously was cleaned by Lexus Dealer from my water leak, Over a year ago that fixed the issue of my remote not allowing me to open and lock doors. YEA!

I have 2 choices, bring back to Lexus, have them clean the connector again, or try to do myself. My thought was to use some electrical contact cleaner.

So when it gets cold out, remote stops working. When my car warms up, or if I crank the heat higher, the remote will work again, so my guess there is aa pin that is not clean and heat makes the connection work again.

If you have a pdf that shows the area I am talking about, that would be most appreciated!

You have been so nice to us on this forum! Your wealth of knowledge has helped me in the past, thanks again!

Bob
Old 01-30-20, 11:04 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Here is the area in concern

Hi Bob,

If you look at this diagram, I need to remove the plastic panel above the Compartment Door Assembly!. You cannot see that area in this diagram. Do you have a picture that shows that area?

Thanks again!
Bob

Last edited by hoffy5; 01-30-20 at 11:26 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-30-20, 11:21 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Here is the work Lexus performed on this issue

Service: Non warrantable operation code
description: Non warrantable operation code ~|~customer states the keys will not unlock or lock the doors with the keys, junction block was just replaced ~|~car has had water leak at some point. Found junction connector corroded for dash harness ~|~clea.. Non warrantable operation code ~|~perform multipoint inspection ~|~multipoint inspection. ~|~performed multipoint inspection
Old 01-30-20, 12:02 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Have you asked Lexus service for a quote/estimate to do the fix? You may get an affordable quote. Let us know how much they want.
Old 01-30-20, 12:34 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Quote

Hi

The repair was done 5/3/18. Forgot what I paid, so really what they did lasted over 2 years. I guess I will call them and ask!
Old 01-30-20, 02:50 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Hi

The repair was done 5/3/18. Forgot what I paid, so really what they did lasted over 2 years. I guess I will call them and ask!
Has the leak come back as well?
Old 01-31-20, 09:15 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Will removing the wood trim above the glove box grant you access to the area where the connector is located? Step 24ish?
Old 01-31-20, 11:03 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi

I called Lexus, talked with service manager about my previous repair:

1) Service manager is going to talk with original Technician who did my service who cleaned the connector. He will ask him to see if we can clean it again and or replace the connector and also inspect lower Cowl under the top Cowl near Windshield Wipers for a water leaks.

2) Regarding the Leak, I believe it is back. But not from the Windshield, I had the original company who re-installed my original Windshield, they came out and removed the Top Cowl Plastic cover near the top of the firewall. He inspected the Glass, no issues. However again, under that Top Cowl is the Lower Cowl, on the passenger side, there is rectangular opening for fresh Air vent, that rectangular area was glued at the factory, Glass people believe the water is gathering there and leaking down to connector.

3) So I believe the game plan is to have Lexus remove the Top Cowl and water test the passenger side.

4) If so, patch that vent with a adhesive if there is a pinhole, That plastic Cowl is 16 years old.

5) The blue highlighted area is the area I am talking about that may be the culprit?

I will let you know what happened. Car is a 2003 with 45K miles. The car has been great with the exception of my water problems.

I will let you all know!

Thanks
Bob

Attached Files
Lexus sc430.pdf (236.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-31-20, 12:52 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Hi

I called Lexus, talked with service manager about my previous repair:

1) Service manager is going to talk with original Technician who did my service who cleaned the connector. He will ask him to see if we can clean it again and or replace the connector and also inspect lower Cowl under the top Cowl near Windshield Wipers for a water leaks.

2) Regarding the Leak, I believe it is back. But not from the Windshield, I had the original company who re-installed my original Windshield, they came out and removed the Top Cowl Plastic cover near the top of the firewall. He inspected the Glass, no issues. However again, under that Top Cowl is the Lower Cowl, on the passenger side, there is rectangular opening for fresh Air vent, that rectangular area was glued at the factory, Glass people believe the water is gathering there and leaking down to connector.

3) So I believe the game plan is to have Lexus remove the Top Cowl and water test the passenger side.

4) If so, patch that vent with a adhesive if there is a pinhole, That plastic Cowl is 16 years old.

5) The blue highlighted area is the area I am talking about that may be the culprit?

I will let you know what happened. Car is a 2003 with 45K miles. The car has been great with the exception of my water problems.

I will let you all know!

Thanks
Bob
That's a great plan. Sounds likes everyone is on the same page.
Old 02-06-20, 11:57 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Water Leak Saga

Another update, Lexus replace those 3 gaskets,, I have yet to see the part#'s...They called me today and said they changed 3 gaskets/seals, still leaks. , Dang it! Now they are ordering another gasket, the main seal that runs on the bottom of the car passenger side frame of car, (seal that door closes into) that seal stops right next to the Junction box, hence they believe that is it.

So again, I said order the part, now we are on for Friday. So basically I am paying as they go for every seal they are replacing! We had over 4 inches of rain today in Charlotte, NC, Tornados! Anyway, my car is in the shop under cover, good thing!

So the wait/hunt is on, This better be it! The well is running dry, or should I say WET!

Again, I will post all part#s used, especially this last one since that is probably the main culprit, I hope!

The situation the baffles me, I have taken excellent care of all my seals, multiple times, to keep them supple, Dupont Krytox and Gummi Pflege, but again the rubber seals are 17 years old.

I also asked them to check the Junction box for water damage, they will be cleaning the connector pins since there is some blue like residue on them from the water.

Fingers crossed this is it!

B-

Last edited by hoffy5; 02-06-20 at 12:06 PM. Reason: update title
Old 02-06-20, 12:11 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Yes, leak is back. Lexus believes it is coming in on passenger door side.
Old 02-12-20, 10:37 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Update on issue's

Another update, Lexus replace those 3 gaskets,, I have yet to see the part#'s...They called me today and said they changed 3 gaskets/seals, still leaks. , Dang it! Now they are ordering another gasket, the main seal that runs on the bottom of the car passenger side frame of car, (seal that door closes into) that seal stops right next to the Junction box, hence they believe that is it.

So again, I said order the part, now we are on for Friday. So basically I am paying as they go for every seal they are replacing! We had over 4 inches of rain today in Charlotte, NC, Tornados! Anyway, my car is in the shop under cover, good thing!

So the wait/hunt is on, This better be it! The well is running dry, or should I say WET!

Again, I will post all part#s used, especially this last one since that is probably the main culprit, I hope!

The situation the baffles me, I have taken excellent care of all my seals, multiple times, to keep them supple, Dupont Krytox and Gummi Pflege, but again the rubber seals are 17 years old.

I also asked them to check the Junction box for water damage, they will be cleaning the connector pins since there is some blue like residue on them from the water.

Fingers crossed this is it!

B-

After 1-week of not having my SC430 at the Lexus Dealership this is the re-cap or should I call it fiasco:

1-installed new Windshield since mine was damaged on the way to dealership, non OEM Glass was installed. Lexus double checked their workmanship for any leaks with a special device-sonar unit no leaks there.

2- Passenger side door had 3 moldings replaced, The A-Frame Seal next to exterior door mirror ( the one that spits on the top) A new lower seal that runs all of the passenger door up to the top sides of that door. And the Door Belt strip ( See attachments). No photo of A-Frame seal.

3- After days of water testing, water was going down the passenger window door belt at rate it should have not done so, mine was leaking more. They believe that was the main culprit for the leak. Leak fixed!

5- After fixing the leak, the alarm system would still not work, Technician then wired 4 new wires that go to the alarm-remote locking system, so those to connections now have duplicate wiring, one that was corroded and the new wires. If you were to remove the Glovebox, then look up that is where the connection is. So how did water get up there, I believe the first repair that was repaired at Lexus due to my original windshield leak, at that time the fix was remove and replace my original Windshield, the they cleaned connectors and that worked for 2 years, then problem but came back due to moisture.

On another note, had rotors turned and new brake pads, rotate tires and oil change, also the wiper inserts

All in $$$$ excluding the Windshield that was covered under Insurance-100.00 deductible.
$ 1565.00. 1K was labor.

Picked up car, yesterday we had another 4 inches of rain in NC, drove to work, alarm worked when I stopped. Side bar note: I replaced the Driver side belt strip molding myself 2-years ago and no problems on that side.

Thats it! Whew!!

Old 02-12-20, 11:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

So your out of pocket was $ 1565.00?

Quick Reply: Help Glovebox area