SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Aftermarket wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-20, 03:27 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheel question

So if you read my brakes thread, you know I have to get wheels in a hurry because my stock wheels don't fit over my big brakes (and my car is on blocks right now).

I decided on these badboys:
https://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_variante.php

19x9 / 19x10 staggered

Here are my questions:

1) Will the OEM TPMS work? and if the wheels/tires are coming already mounted/balanced, I would have to unmount and rebalance to add the sensors, correct? (or disable TPMS via techstream)

2) Is there any way to get a custom black center cap but with the Lexus "L" on it like the stock wheels? The center caps are 2 1/4" in diameter. The stock ones won't work, right? These were my stock wheels:

Last edited by joemg; 01-31-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 04:19 PM
joemg
Instructor

I talked with the store I'm buying from and they can add new TPMS sensors when they mount them for $150. I'm kind of in a tight spot, so I just had them do that. I'll use techstream to pair them to the car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fac...MAAOSwdGFYtzEy
these CT200h center caps are 2 1/4" (although not black, but paint could fix that if they would fit in the new wheels).

Does anyone have any experience with center caps? Is there anything different about aftermarket wheels or is one 2 1/4" cap the same as the next?

this is what the back of the aftermarket wheel cap looks like:

Here is the back of the ct200h cap:

Last edited by joemg; 01-31-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 05:00 PM
joemg
Instructor

I might try these... they're inexpensive, won't require luck to work and easily reversed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Covers-Ge...8AAOSwsnVd50QX
Old 01-31-20, 06:09 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes, just pay 10bucks for the decal/sticker. Get them from Amazon for quicker shipping.
I got both silver and black.
Regarding your sensor is it $150 per sensor or for all 4? Since you have 06+ , cant just disable the damn thing so you would need them.
what are the offset for the new wheels? nvm. Found it. They will definitely look good
1910VRT255114B76 19x10 5x114.30 25
1990VRT305114B76 19x9 5x114.30 30

Last edited by digitatc; 01-31-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 06:28 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
Yes, just pay 10bucks for the decal/sticker. Get them from Amazon for quicker shipping.
I got both silver and black.
Regarding your sensor is it $150 per sensor or for all 4? Since you have 06+ , cant just disable the damn thing so you would need them.
what are the offset for the new wheels?
oh wow, I didn't know that about the 06+... I'm glad I remembered it shortly after ordering. It was $150 for the whole set. They are brand/model: HUF UVS3040. I will be able to pair them with techstream, right?

I went with https://3dcarstickers.com, I used them once before for something and you can have them make it the exact size.

Fronts are ET30 and I'm going to use a 5mm spacer to get the fitment I want, rears are ET25. That means the front will sit out another 12.5mm from my stock wheels+20mm spacer, and the rears will sit out another 15mm or so from my stock wheels+30mm spacer.

Going off this chart from the wheel fitment thread, that's basically the most aggressive you can go without getting crazy. My fronts already have a tiny bit of fender trim and rolling, so hopefully this will be hassle free or at least hassle free enough to drive the car home from where it is now and get rid of any rubbing later, lol.

Oh, and I believe these wheels are around 22lbs each, they're rotary forged. That should be about 15lbs of savings off each corner, if the 37lb figure for the stock wheels is accurate. Plus whatever I dropped off each corner by going with aluminum monoblock calipers.

Last edited by joemg; 01-31-20 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 06:35 PM
joemg
Instructor

For Rubber I went with:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
245/40/19 front
285/35/19 rear
Old 01-31-20, 06:45 PM
digitatc
Instructor

I dont think you will need any spacer at all, but you will find out soon when you get them installed. You sure know how to spend your money and mod. Just get a good alignment and pay close attention to the tire wear during the first 1000 miles to make sure no they wear evenly.
Old 01-31-20, 06:56 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
I dont think you will need any spacer at all, but you will find out soon when you get them installed. You sure know how to spend your money and mod. Just get a good alignment and pay close attention to the tire wear during the first 1000 miles to make sure no they wear evenly.

LOL, yeah, my bank account is hurting bad. I had a pretty big "mod budget" when I was shopping for a car, but I definitely did not expect to do wheels/tires anytime soon. I pretty much have to work in the cost of basic performance upgrades into the price of the car when I car shop because I love modding cars too much to leave them alone. Needless to say, I've gone over budget on this one, lol.

You may be right about the spacer, but it was $10 on amazon, so if I don't use it I can always send it back.

Ah crap, I totally forgot about alignment... There goes more cash. It's just as well, I can have them take a look at my brake install and make sure I didn't unwittingly sign my death warrant with my ameteur workmanship. Luckily this is actually the second car I've done a complete brake system overhaul on. I did calipers/rotors/lines/booster/master cylinder (all parts oem from other cars cobbled together) on my Miata some years ago and it's still going strong, or should I say, stopping strong.
Old 01-31-20, 07:11 PM
digitatc
Instructor

I'm pretty sure you've done it correctly. Cant go wrong with the right torque amount and no extra nut/screw laying around afterwards.
The following users liked this post:
joemg (02-01-20)
Old 02-01-20, 07:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
oh wow, I didn't know that about the 06+... I'm glad I remembered it shortly after ordering. It was $150 for the whole set. They are brand/model: HUF UVS3040. I will be able to pair them with techstream, right?
Unless you get the Lexus OEM TPS, it won't pair up with the monitor in the car (unless there's something special about these that is new). You can use the Techstream to pair OEM sensors to the car.
Old 02-01-20, 09:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
I talked with the store I'm buying from and they can add new TPMS sensors when they mount them for $150. I'm kind of in a tight spot, so I just had them do that. I'll use techstream to pair them to the car.
Originally Posted by Harold57
Unless you get the Lexus OEM TPS, it won't pair up with the monitor in the car (unless there's something special about these that is new). You can use the Techstream to pair OEM sensors to the car.
Joe, Harold provided someone good advice...
according to the huf catalog, you might have ordered the wrong sensors...plus, it says their sensors work in SC430s built after Aug 2006.
another note, the original sensors were 2002-2006, then they changed to the newer sensors at the end of 2006.
https://www.intellisens.com/fileadmi...tion_guide.pdf
Old 02-01-20, 01:18 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Joe, Harold provided someone good advice...
according to the huf catalog, you might have ordered the wrong sensors...plus, it says their sensors work in SC430s built after Aug 2006.
another note, the original sensors were 2002-2006, then they changed to the newer sensors at the end of 2006.
https://www.intellisens.com/fileadmi...tion_guide.pdf

You guys are the best!

Since I don't have the car with me, all I have is this cutoff picture I took of the inside of the door when I first got it:

02/0_ would it be safe to assume that means either 02/05 or 02/06? It obviously can't be 02/07, so I think I would have the original tpms sensors, right?

Looking at the catalog, the 08/06+ list UVS3030/UVS3010. the pre 08/06 doesn't list a part number and the part number they specified, UVS3040, isn't in the entire catalog.

Looking at their website, it lists this model as "universal" and requiring programming, which this store said they would do prior to mounting, and then I would need to pair them to the car.
https://www.hufonline.com/product/un...-metal-silver/

I found this video showing how to pair a tpms sensor, just incase anyone is wondering how to do that (I was):

So I think I'm good? I hope, lol. Let's say it won't pair, the car will still drive normal until I can get somewhere to deal with it, right?
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket wheel question-screen-shot-2020-02-01-at-1.02.05-pm.png  
Old 02-03-20, 06:05 PM
joemg
Instructor

So I just got a call that the 285/35's are backordered.

I'm hoping they can do 295/35s, they're going to check and let me know first thing in the morning.

295/35s should be fine on a 10" wheel, right?

I'm also having them check if they have 255/40s for the front, that would keep both the same diameter. But I may just keep the 245/40s for the front (9") wheel. I don't think it makes any real difference on the front tires. It won't be a big deal if the rear is a tiny bit larger diameter, right?
Old 02-04-20, 12:52 PM
joemg
Instructor

Well, apparently everyone in the country is backordered on the 295 & 285 /35/19s for the Michelin 4S. I called practically every tire store in the country this morning, but Ebay came through with the last 3 285s that are out there and I bought 2 of them.

I'm having it all shipped to the tire shop next door to the place I did my brake upgrade (where the car is sitting), I got pretty lucky that there was a tire shop next door. I won't be using the TUF TPMS sensors since the mounting/balancing will be done there and I'll just re-use my existing ones.

Side note, even though the tires didn't workout, I still got the wheels from Jason Tung at https://www.getyourwheels.com. He was really helpful and they do everything really nicely, matching lugs, nitrogen filled tires, I think they even use black wheel weights for black wheels if I had gotten the tires through them. Love the attention to detail there.

Last edited by joemg; 02-04-20 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-13-20, 12:42 AM
joemg
Instructor

I ran into some fitment issues because the new brakes (LS460 Calipers, ISF Rotors) are so damn big.

Luckily the barrel cleared by about .2" but the face needed a 20mm spacer to clear the caliper, luckily I had it on my oem wheels, so no big deal. I used the 5mm spacer on the rears so the fronts didn't stick out more than the rears (rears are out about 2.7mm more than fronts with the 5mm spacer).

So the fronts are effectively 19x9 ET10 with the spacer and rears are 19x10 ET20 with the spacer. Now I have a challenge ahead of me to figure out how to get it to stop rubbing. I booked an appointment at SoCal Suspension, they did the original trimming/rolling when I first put spacers on the oem wheels, hopefully they can work their magic and make this work without having to go to a body shop. They seem to specialize in cars that are slammed or bagged, so this should be pretty mild work for them.

On another annoying note, there were no hub centric rings shipped with the wheels (shipping error on their part), so now I have to take the wheels off/on again when they arrive to put them on.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket wheel question-img_7684-2-.jpeg   Aftermarket wheel question-img_7690.jpeg   Aftermarket wheel question-img_7689.jpeg   Aftermarket wheel question-img_7688.jpeg   Aftermarket wheel question-img_7687.jpeg  

Aftermarket wheel question-img_7686.jpeg   Aftermarket wheel question-img_7685.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
okievision (02-13-20)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheel question