SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just purchased a high mileage ‘02 SC - few issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 06:16 PM
CanadianG
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just purchased a high mileage ‘02 SC - few issues.

Edit - I mistakenly deleted my post

Purchased my friends 2002 SC430 with 215,407 miles on it (probably closer to 220,000 miles because of a malfunction of the ABS Skid Control module - which gives me the ABS & Brake Light along with a non functioning speedometer and mileage counter.

I also have a transmission leak.

S

Last edited by CanadianG; 02-05-20 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-04-20, 07:17 AM
Lawler999
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding the trans pipe leaking , you could take it off and have it repaired , my lad works with hydraulic pipe manufacturing and they have a trade counter where loads of people take hoses in to have them repaired , jet washer hoses , trans pipes, brake lines etc etc . They just cut out the leaking section and replace it .
Old 02-04-20, 08:26 AM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lawler999
Regarding the trans pipe leaking , you could take it off and have it repaired , my lad works with hydraulic pipe manufacturing and they have a trade counter where loads of people take hoses in to have them repaired , jet washer hoses , trans pipes, brake lines etc etc . They just cut out the leaking section and replace it .
very interesting, I'm going to see if there is a place near by that would do that.

Also on a side note - I'm going to pick up my replacement ABS Skid Control Module at lunch and will be installing it this evening. It's a used one, *fingers crossed it works

I could also use a new speedometer/cluster (You can see the crack on the speedometer's glass|)but am holding off on that until I get everything else sorted out and I get my mechanic to do a once over on my work and potentially point out other areas of concern.
Old 02-04-20, 08:55 AM
MrIanB
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Check the top back of the radiator facing the engine. Looks for cracks. Its made out of plastic and mine at 110k miles had a hairline crack that my mechanic found while working on it. If it breaks and you lose all your radiator fluid, your engine is done.

Ian B
Old 02-04-20, 09:04 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianG

it has a transmission leak. Looks like it’s one of the hoses that go from the transmission to the radiator. Would after market hoses be okay or should I go genuine Lexus for this ?

If it is one of these rubber hoses, you can go aftermarket. If I recall correctly, when I did my fluid change, it was just a rubber hose with clamps on the end

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...rain-plug.html
Old 02-04-20, 10:37 AM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrIanB
Check the top back of the radiator facing the engine. Looks for cracks. Its made out of plastic and mine at 110k miles had a hairline crack that my mechanic found while working on it. If it breaks and you lose all your radiator fluid, your engine is done.

Ian B
You know what Ian and DshngDaryl (definitely from one of those rubber hoses).

For good measure I'm ordering a new radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, and rubber hoses for the transmission cooler, will be changing it all out when I do my timing belt and waterpump sometime next month.

Anything else I am missing. I figure if I'm doing the waterpump anyways and will have fluid out of the system might as well get any points of failure of a 200k+ mile car.

Also I read people mentioning that if the radiator fluid isn't put in correctly it can cause head gasket failures.. I'm asuming this is when people put in radiator fluid without letting the air bubbles purge??
Old 02-04-20, 11:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

You know what Ian and DshngDaryl (definitely from one of those rubber hoses).

For good measure I'm ordering a new radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, and rubber hoses for the transmission cooler, will be changing it all out when I do my timing belt and waterpump sometime next month.

Anything else I am missing. I figure if I'm doing the waterpump anyways and will have fluid out of the system might as well get any points of failure of a 200k+ mile car.

Also I read people mentioning that if the radiator fluid isn't put in correctly it can cause head gasket failures.. I'm asuming this is when people put in radiator fluid without letting the air bubbles purge??
the vacuum lines become brittle and cause the check engine light to come on...two or three codes, cannot remember the numbers...if you remove the cover they are the lines just aft of the oil fill cap.
also, change the PCV valve.

check Rockauto.com and Amazon for the parts. Get the Aisin TB WP kit with tensioner.
Amazon Amazon

another one...do your valve cover leak oil?
Old 02-04-20, 02:45 PM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70
the vacuum lines become brittle and cause the check engine light to come on...two or three codes, cannot remember the numbers...if you remove the cover they are the lines just aft of the oil fill cap.
also, change the PCV valve.

check Rockauto.com and Amazon for the parts. Get the Aisin TB WP kit with tensioner.
https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-TKT-021.../dp/B008EEYWKI

another one...do your valve cover leak oil?
Excellent will order a PCV valve as well. The valve covers actually look to be in good shape, no seeping oil from what i saw.

That was going to be my next question - any brands over others? Aisin TB WP kit it is. I typically use Rockauto for parts.

Goal is to have all the mechanical items sorted out by the end of March. Then I'll move onto the body / interior. For the body I might not even touch the bumpers and leave the scratches as is for the time being.

Interior wise, its in nice shape (needs a cleaning) - I am sourcing out a replacement drivers seat - this one has a tear in it.

I'm looking forward to driving it around this summer.
Old 02-04-20, 03:59 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent will order a PCV valve as well. The valve covers actually look to be in good shape, no seeping oil from what i saw.

That was going to be my next question - any brands over others? Aisin TB WP kit it is. I typically use Rockauto for parts.

Goal is to have all the mechanical items sorted out by the end of March. Then I'll move onto the body / interior. For the body I might not even touch the bumpers and leave the scratches as is for the time being.

Interior wise, its in nice shape (needs a cleaning) - I am sourcing out a replacement drivers seat - this one has a tear in it.

I'm looking forward to driving it around this summer.
there is a thread about installing new leather on your seats if you are up to the task.
the supplier is also included...I think it was $350 shipped for the front seats, Headrest’s and console.
Old 02-05-20, 06:19 AM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70
there is a thread about installing new leather on your seats if you are up to the task.
the supplier is also included...I think it was $350 shipped for the front seats, Headrest’s and console.
Yeah I would love that, I've searched and come up empty handed, would you happen to have a link to the thread? Thank you in advance!
Old 02-05-20, 06:59 AM
CanadianG
Rookie

Update - it looks like its a coolant leak not a transmission leak! (I mistook the red liquid for transmission fluid - very slow but the car is not over heating - keeping it topped off) I've ordered the TB & WP kit, along with thermostat, radiator, radiator cap and hoses, needless to say I won't really be driving it until the leak is fixed.
Old 02-05-20, 08:39 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

The glass aka plastic on the speedo is a seperate piece and is not part of the cluster. Just FYI.

Paul
Old 02-05-20, 03:44 PM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Raven01750
The glass aka plastic on the speedo is a seperate piece and is not part of the cluster. Just FYI.

Paul
that’s great to know! Did a quick search and it looks like it should be simple to fix! Thanks a lot

Was just trying to change the ABS skid module and it’s such a pain. I can’t get that inner 10mm bolt!!
Old 02-05-20, 04:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I would love that, I've searched and come up empty handed, would you happen to have a link to the thread? Thank you in advance!
two of us replace the leather on our seats...mine starts at post #25...plenty of pics...
BTW, I don’t think you will but please don’t drive your new toy until the radiator is replaced...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ed-thread.html
Old 02-05-20, 09:35 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Update - it looks like its a coolant leak not a transmission leak! (I mistook the red liquid for transmission fluid - very slow but the car is not over heating - keeping it topped off) I've ordered the TB & WP kit, along with thermostat, radiator, radiator cap and hoses, needless to say I won't really be driving it until the leak is fixed.
Check for power steering leak also. The fluid from your power steering leak will destroy the alternator.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a high mileage ‘02 SC - few issues.