SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just purchased a high mileage ‘02 SC - few issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 08:37 AM
CanadianG
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
two of us replace the leather on our seats...mine starts at post #25...plenty of pics...
BTW, I don’t think you will but please don’t drive your new toy until the radiator is replaced...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ed-thread.html
I will definitely be attempting that this summer.

I got a new thermostat installed yesterday. Looks like my shipment of the timing belt kit, radiator and hoses has come in from rock auto.

By the way thank you for the link on the other thread, I'm going to see if my Brake master cylinder will come back to life if not I have sourced out a used one locally for a couple of hundred dollars that I'll be picking up this weekend. Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-09-20, 10:54 AM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70
two of us replace the leather on our seats...mine starts at post #25...plenty of pics...
BTW, I don’t think you will but please don’t drive your new toy until the radiator is replaced...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ed-thread.html

Hey Bgw70 thanks a lot for your help.

wanted to post a 1 week in update,

new thermostat, radiator along with upper and lower radiator hoses installed.

ABS skid contol unit replaced ( for anyone out there wondering no programming is needed after this is installed, I installed it with the negative terminal to my battery unhooked and then when I fired it up with the replacement part installed, no more ABS and brake light, and the speedometer work started working immediately)

Also have a brake master cylinder unit on the way, (used previously) because my BMC, booster and Actuator were making a funny noise. VERY weird thing is before the install of the skid control unit it was making the same noise but after I got the replacement skid control unit in it stopped? I was assuming the issue was a hardware issue as opposed to a software related issue so this has thrown me off.

I have my AISIN timing belt, water pump and tensioner kit that came in as well, I won’t be getting to those until the weather is warmer but the plan is to take it to my mechanic mid week to do a once over and give me a report of other items it may need (suspension, etc) I’m concerned about the health of the head gasket, the car over heated with me once (sticky thermostat) so if it did so with the previous owner as well, there’s a chance the head gasket was compromised. If the head gasket is gone, I’ve located a dealer with Japan sourced engines with transmissions which supposedly have between 50,000 and 70,000km (30,000 - 45,000 miles) for around $1600 which I’ll buy to replace.

I got a smile across my face right now knowing it’s coming along nicely.
Old 02-09-20, 12:05 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Congratulations! It sounds like you got all the MUST DO issues resolved and are down to the "need to do eventually" stuff.

I am sure you are going to love the car, especially when the weather starts to warm up and the top can come down.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
Old 02-09-20, 05:26 PM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Congratulations! It sounds like you got all the MUST DO issues resolved and are down to the "need to do eventually" stuff.

I am sure you are going to love the car, especially when the weather starts to warm up and the top can come down.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
thanks a lot! Definitely, as long as the major items are out of the way I can be a little more relaxed now lol.

Old 02-23-20, 02:57 PM
CanadianG
Rookie

I was taking my old radiator to the local waste facility today, I took to picture of it to show everyone just how bad the leak was on it.
Old 02-24-20, 04:10 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, that's a mess. Any problem getting it out (and back in again)?
Old 02-24-20, 05:41 AM
CanadianG
Rookie

Originally Posted by maarp
Yeah, that's a mess. Any problem getting it out (and back in again)?
not at all it was very straight forward. Only thing was that I did have to physically cut the upper rad hose off from where it connected at the engine. It was stuck on really good
Old 06-22-20, 12:17 PM
miroslav23
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanadianG

ABS skid contol unit replaced ( for anyone out there wondering no programming is needed after this is installed, I installed it with the negative terminal to my battery unhooked and then when I fired it up with the replacement part installed, no more ABS and brake light, and the speedometer work started working immediately)
Where did you get your skid control unit? I have similar symptoms (ABS + BRAKE lights on, speedometer and odometer not working, and stiff steering) so I think I need to replace the module. I see used ones on ebay for ~$300 but wondering if that's the best option.
Old 06-26-20, 09:37 AM
QuandAns42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianG
that’s great to know! Did a quick search and it looks like it should be simple to fix! Thanks a lot

Was just trying to change the ABS skid module and it’s such a pain. I can’t get that inner 10mm bolt!!
Didn't you say the speedo and odo were "non functioning" or was that just referring to the cracked lens? If they're genuinely not functioning you'll need to address that as a high priority. That doesn't have to mean a trip to the dealership though, there are handful of independent shopd certified and equipped to do the necessary cloning for replacements and such. I recommend this shop as they deal exclusively with clusters. https://www.instrumentclusterstore.c...t_clusters.htm