SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

OBX Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 02:11 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OBX Headers

Long story short, OBX headers will not fit. Ran into steering linkage clearance. After all the modifications I can think of, they still will not clear.

Use my experience as a lesson and stay away from OBX Headers for the SC430.
here are some photos:

I tried shaving some material off steering universal joint but still it would not clear.

Heat and smashed the driver side OBX header for steering shaft clearance. Looks wicked!

Last edited by Lexusdk; 02-24-20 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (11-14-21)
Old 02-24-20, 02:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Ugh, thanks for the info. That does suck. They are like 1/2 the cost of PPE right? I ready early PPE had similar issues but they fixed it.
Old 02-24-20, 04:46 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

oh man, I really feel for you. I saw exactly how much work it takes to swap headers and then for it not to work out, what a bummer . I highly recommend the PPE headers if you can justify the spend. They require some minor modifications to fit, but they fit. PPE was also really responsive when we ran into issues on the install.

I bought mine from legitjapan, but a lot of vendors sell them. The price seems to vary from vendor to vendor. I think suprastore had a good deal on them too at the time.
Old 02-24-20, 04:52 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Ugh, thanks for the info. That does suck. They are like 1/2 the cost of PPE right? I ready early PPE had similar issues but they fixed it.
I paid about $400. It was a gamble for me. The passenger side fits. It’s only the driver side with issues. These OBX headers were made in China and supposedly replicas of the PPE.

Last edited by Lexusdk; 02-24-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 04:57 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Originally Posted by joemg
oh man, I really feel for you. I saw exactly how much work it takes to swap headers and then for it not to work out, what a bummer . I highly recommend the PPE headers if you can justify the spend. They require some minor modifications to fit, but they fit. PPE was also really responsive when we ran into issues on the install.

I bought mine from legitjapan, but a lot of vendors sell them. The price seems to vary from vendor to vendor. I think suprastore had a good deal on them too at the time.
This whole process was a torture and patience test for me. Unfortunately these headers got the best of me. I’m now having to reinstall the factory headers back on. My pain is a gift to you guys, a lesson well learned that you get what you pay for. I don’t have any experience with PPE, but maybe in the near future I will get them and test them out.
Old 02-24-20, 05:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusdk
This whole process was a torture and patience test for me. Unfortunately these headers got the best of me. I’m now having to reinstall the factory headers back on. My pain is a gift to you guys, a lesson well learned that you get what you pay for. I don’t have any experience with PPE, but maybe in the near future I will get them and test them out.
They seem to be the only real verified option that I know of.

https://www.suprastore.com/ppeenexmahe2.html

Old 02-24-20, 05:06 PM
Lexusdk
Driver

Im not sure how much PPE headers are going for, but I paid about $400 for these OBX Racing headers. I regret even trying to modify them, because at one point I had the chance to return them for full refund. I wanted to take on the challenge in making them work, but it was a gamble I lost. You can see how I smashed a good amount on the driver side pipes. Any more smashing, and it would’ve closed those passages. It’s insane how determined I was....
Old 02-24-20, 06:34 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

I was looking at the pictures and I thought, damn, I'd have done the same thing to make it work. However when I saw that you actually grind the steering linkage, then I was like, no way. I don't think i'll ever upgrade the header but thanks for the info.
The following users liked this post:
Lexusdk (02-24-20)
Old 02-27-20, 06:09 AM
Lexusdk
Driver

Deciding to sell these. Anyone with welding skills can probably make the driver side work. Passenger side is still good shape and basically new. Asking $250 (depending on shipping cost). Message me, accepting PayPal.

Old 03-02-20, 11:11 AM
Lexusdk
Driver

Headers have been SOLD!
Old 03-03-20, 11:26 AM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg

What does the Headers give you? This damn 4.3 engine is a slug compared to my M3 e93...lol
Old 03-03-20, 11:28 AM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They seem to be the only real verified option that I know of.

https://www.suprastore.com/ppeenexmahe2.html
Is this info legit?

These headers are a 100% 304 stainless steel, 4-1 design and feature 1 5/8" runners, smooth formed collector with 2.5" outlet. They are NOT a direct fit to the stock catalytic converters. Power gains are 18-20 whp and 20+ ft lb.

Includes new outlet gaskets.

Matching flanges for modifying your exhaust are available at an additional charge.

Optional Ceramic coating will reduce engine bay temperatures and keep the headers looking good for years.
Old 03-03-20, 11:46 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Tngo23
Is this info legit?

These headers are a 100% 304 stainless steel, 4-1 design and feature 1 5/8" runners, smooth formed collector with 2.5" outlet. They are NOT a direct fit to the stock catalytic converters. Power gains are 18-20 whp and 20+ ft lb.

Includes new outlet gaskets.

Matching flanges for modifying your exhaust are available at an additional charge.

Optional Ceramic coating will reduce engine bay temperatures and keep the headers looking good for years.
I think there are actually dyno sheets on this forum showing 20hp/25ftlb. Also, the stock cats do bolt up just fine, I'm running front oem cats with them.

If you're looking for performance, headers + catback are going to be your biggest gain, but it doesn't come cheap... headers are a lot of labor.