SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is valve cover gasket replacement beginner friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 03:55 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by RENEGATE28
I have had all my parts bought for about two weeks now. The valve cover gasket kit that I bought is the one above. It was roughly around the same price as the other one that was displayed above. I bought the service manual and was able to quite easily find the valve gasket replacement procedures. I need to find the spark plug replacement procedures as well though, because while in down there, I might as well replace the spark plugs too. Do you have any idea of what I should be looking for? I have the Lexus sc430 2004 model.
in your post #15 you display the manual showing one bolt per coil. Remove the bolt and remove the coil.
then insert a spark plug socket or a socket into the tube and unscrew the spark plug.
sparkplug sockets usually have a piece of rubber in them to grab the top of the plug
The following users liked this post:
RENEGATE28 (03-26-20)
Old 03-26-20, 05:08 PM
RENEGATE28
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
in your post #15 you display the manual showing one bolt per coil. Remove the bolt and remove the coil.
then insert a spark plug socket or a socket into the tube and unscrew the spark plug.
sparkplug sockets usually have a piece of rubber in them to grab the top of the plug
Thanks boss!

I also have another question regarding techstream. This is all soooo complicated and I’ve encountered every possible obstacle up to now. Been working on it for 5 days now, nonstop. I have everything installed and everything was going well. I literally just plugged everything in. Here’s the problem, and I know there was a previous thread on this.

The mini obd2 cable is not recognizing the car. I have to manually put my car in.

once I input everything in and connect, this error message pops up.

Do you reckon the cable might be the problem? This is what happens when I open the MVCI Firmware update tool.

as you can see, when I click on device info, it says the cable is connected, but no info is given regarding the cable. It has always been like this. Which leads me to believe that that is the underlying problem behind all of this. I first tried version 14 tech stream with 3 computers. This is the only one that is able to download everything. I encountered this problem and decided to go to version 12 since everyone says it works. But again, I just encountered this problem yet again like 15 minutes ago. What do I do! This is so frustrating.

ALSO, HOW THE HECK DO I REMOVE THE CABLE FROM THE OBD PORT IN THE CAR? I feel like the whole dashboard is gonna come off! Is there a Clip that I need to press, or do I just pull as hard as I can? I don’t want to break anything. Thanks for your help BGW, and sorry to bother you, but from all of my readings, you seem to know quite a lot about this software and I need help.
Old 03-26-20, 05:19 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like the xhorse driver may not be loaded or recognized
in the basic TIS software, there is a drop down to select the VIM
RENEGATE28 (03-26-20)
Old 03-26-20, 05:38 PM
RENEGATE28
Driver

Looks like the xhorse driver may not be loaded or recognized
in the basic TIS software, there is a drop down to select the VIM
Yes, I suspected that! But the crazy thing is that the Xhorse cable was an option and I had already set it up and put it there. Despite already being selected, and recognized as “conected” it still did not display any info. It is all n/a. Should I try with my grandmother’s corolla? I don’t think That would work though, I believe that my first step should be to get the darn computer to recognize the cable. How can it recognize it is connected, but not display it’s info?

Oh and can you help me with the removal process of the cable? Should I just pull, or is there a clip that I must press?
Old 03-26-20, 07:57 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

no, I only went to Rockauto.com in my early days of ownership...now I shop several places and I am inclined to go with OEM manufacturing companies...

why don’t you look them up for us?
Heck, call up your local Lexus dealer...
I didn't want to waste my time (or their time) inquiring with the local, high-priced Lexus dealer, so I spent lots of time surfing, checking, double-checking, to find the correct OEM parts for $50 on Ebay. The offering has the same parts found in the $41 Felpro kit. I concluded it is worth the extra $9 for the Toyota OEM parts. I ordered one kit for my 2001 Tundra, which happens to use the same exact part numbers. My SC is showing no signs of leakage yet, but after completing the Tundra, I'll be well versed for tackling the SC in the future! Here's the Ebay link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-VAL....c100005.m1851
Old 03-27-20, 12:04 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Yes, I suspected that! But the crazy thing is that the Xhorse cable was an option and I had already set it up and put it there. Despite already being selected, and recognized as “conected” it still did not display any info. It is all n/a. Should I try with my grandmother’s corolla? I don’t think That would work though, I believe that my first step should be to get the darn computer to recognize the cable. How can it recognize it is connected, but not display it’s info?

Oh and can you help me with the removal process of the cable? Should I just pull, or is there a clip that I must press?
Fitst, tell me what version of Techstream and cable did you get and what Window you installed to ? Second, if your Techstream did not recognize your car, there is an installation problem.
Did you get the message “can not connect to VIM”?
Old 03-27-20, 01:42 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I see that Gman stepped in...he is good with computers.
i will just say this for now, I have an old 32bit laptop running WinXP and it installed pretty easy.

the OBDII cable is just pulled from the car. Nothing locks it on...
you will get a VSC light after you connect anything to the OBDII connector in years 2002-2005, so you then need to short pins 4&14 on the cars connector...key on until fast vsc flash, key off, remove paper clip.
there are plenty of threads on the reset procedure...it’s easy.
we can cover it later.
answer Gman for now.
Old 03-27-20, 08:57 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you to all this is great information, I need to tackle this soon.
I see oil leaking on both sides of my engine in the front corners, so hopefully this is my solution.

Are there other gaskets at the bottom of the engine that can leak? aside from the oil pan.

Thank you

Old 03-27-20, 10:09 AM
RENEGATE28
Driver

@GmanSC @Bgw70

Ok, this is the summary of everything I have done.

I bought this cable from OBDii.com
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/mi...oyota-tis.html

after it arrived one month later (due to the COVID-19 situation) I went ahead and began the installation process. Every obstacle I could encounter... I encountered it lol.

first tried version 14.20.019

Installed it on my Dell Laptop: widows 7 32bit
Later to find out I needed to use the CD that came with my cable, otherwise I wouldn’t get the MVCI Firmware update tool file. My dell laptop does not have a disc insert.

I then tried using my “beats HP laptop”: windows 7; 64 bit.
The techstream app was able to download but the MVCI Firmware would not download. I believe it is due to being 64 bits.

I then ordered an HP external disc reader in order to use the disc for my Dell laptop. Everything worked smoothly and downloaded, but it would not recognize the cable. The cable would not connect.

I then used my last resort. It is an old HP windows 7 32bit laptop that my dad dugout of his office. I got the furthest I ever had and even managed to connect to the car. However, despite the cable appearing as connected, it would not establish the cables information. This is where I am standing now.

I even switched to version 12.20.024, but remember that my problem comes from within the MVCI firmware update tool and not recognizing the cable that is “connected”.
Old 03-27-20, 10:21 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

If you need to know how to change out your spark plugs, you can watch this video on YouTube. It is by my favorite YouTube teacher Chris Fixx. It is a general instruction video, but covers everything from How to, which one, when, etc.

If you want a specific video for the SC430, you can watch this one. If you have never doen it before, i would watch the first one for sure:

As far as your software problem, did you follow the directions from the vendor "To the letter?" Here is a link to the instructions from their website. It will help you, BGW or Gman troubleshoot: http://www.obdii365.com/service/inst...14-20-019.html

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 03-27-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-27-20, 10:23 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Oh hey, it also looks like they have a "How to Install Video" on youtube also.

You can find anything on youtube
RENEGATE28 (03-27-20)
Old 03-27-20, 06:29 PM
RENEGATE28
Driver

Default Everything I did was based on the video

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Oh hey, it also looks like they have a "How to Install Video" on youtube also.
https://youtu.be/9rrGKvtBEoo

You can find anything on youtube
thank you for the links! I actually followed both EXACTLY (pausing the video every single step of the way).
Old 03-27-20, 07:32 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

That's a bummer, maybe you can ask OBDii365 for help.

On the plus side, you could probably change your valve covers independent of Techstream, since it only gives you error codes and not "how to" tips
RENEGATE28 (03-28-20)
Old 03-27-20, 07:32 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

I see that Gman stepped in...he is good with computers.
i will just say this for now, I have an old 32bit laptop running WinXP and it installed pretty easy.

the OBDII cable is just pulled from the car. Nothing locks it on...
you will get a VSC light after you connect anything to the OBDII connector in years 2002-2005, so you then need to short pins 4&14 on the cars connector...key on until fast vsc flash, key off, remove paper clip.
there are plenty of threads on the reset procedure...it’s easy.
we can cover it later.
answer Gman for now.
Thanks BGW for the kind words, however, I am not as good as you thought. My back ground was in Manufacturing Engineering, there for, I probably know more about processes, procedures, and assembly instructions more than I know about computer software and programming as an EE and CE major. Like you, I probably push more buttons and kind of like to explore.

Renegate,

If you installed Techstream to an 32-bit Window, you should not have any problem. Just completely uninstall and reinstall the software. Remember, even you get the first screen, it does not mean the software is working. It’s working when you can connect to your car automatically without the error message “ can not connect to VIM”.

Read thru the below thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...solutions.html

Good luck

RENEGATE28 (03-28-20)
Old 04-01-20, 10:48 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

thank you for the links! I actually followed both EXACTLY (pausing the video every single step of the way).
Speaking in a very general computer hardware sense, it sounds like you have a driver issue. You might be trying to install a 32 bit driver on a 64 bit operating system. The most common version of windows 10 is 64bit. Finding a 32 bit version is actually quite rare. You can tell what version you have by watching this video.

If you do find out it is 64 bit, then you will have to google a solution, since this is about all I know

Quick Reply: Is valve cover gasket replacement beginner friendly?