SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc430 Florida Underbody Rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 08:52 AM
Andreiu
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Sc430 Florida Underbody Rust

I was dropping the transmission pan and removed the under beauty covers to find rust shown in the attached photo.

Looks like running the a/c all the time on this Florida car left lots of water sitting around the exhaust heat shield bolt and dripped onto the front subframe bushing attachment.

Not too bad, but this is a Florida car.

Waiting on quotes from a body shop, but nothing a wire polishing brush drill bit, and a hand brush, with some por-15 can't cure.

Still, glad I caught it now. Only drove it through snow/salt once so far on these Michigan roads.

The mount where the rust occurred is seen behind the tire.

The condenser drain hose probably drops water behind the heat shield and it slowly dripped onto the bushing attachment. Combine that with thin paint at the corner and we got rust.
Old 03-11-20, 04:10 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Andreiu
I was dropping the transmission pan and removed the under beauty covers to find rust shown in the attached photo.

Looks like running the a/c all the time on this Florida car left lots of water sitting around the exhaust heat shield bolt and dripped onto the front subframe bushing attachment.

Not too bad, but this is a Florida car.

Waiting on quotes from a body shop, but nothing a wire polishing brush drill bit, and a hand brush, with some por-15 can't cure.

Still, glad I caught it now. Only drove it through snow/salt once so far on these Michigan roads.

The mount where the rust occurred is seen behind the tire.

The condenser drain hose probably drops water behind the heat shield and it slowly dripped onto the bushing attachment. Combine that with thin paint at the corner and we got rust.
Congrats on the Florida car. That is a lot of rust and I wanted to ask you if you added the VIN to the https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ website.
it will allow you to see the service history and the original purchase history.

that rust makes me question its Florida history...if it lived on the beach, perhaps, but 10 miles inland makes all the difference in the world.
please let us know.
Old 03-11-20, 09:21 PM
Andreiu
Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Congrats on the Florida car. That is a lot of rust and I wanted to ask you if you added the VIN to the https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ website.

that rust makes me question its Florida history...if it lived on the beach, perhaps, but 10 miles inland makes all the difference in the world.
please let us know.
I have all the maintenance records from the other two owners. Sarasota Florida was its home until a year ago. And I've added its adventures and mine to the maintenance history. Very useful.

It's really not bad at all. Vehicles are disposable and I would be fine driving this for the next 7 years to end of life without issue. But that's just not me. I fix things.

I also just wanted to make people aware that rust can happen to any car anywhere with the right conditions. Florida or California cars are no exception.

​​​​
Old 03-12-20, 10:04 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

please let us know.

compared to a Michigan car, that's almost nothing. The chloride they spread up there is like instant rust for your undercarriage.

spray it with fluid film a few times a year. It will keep it at bay. Pretty much everything else is just temporary too, but costs much more.

Last edited by Coleroad; 03-12-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 11:08 AM
Andreiu
Driver

Originally Posted by Coleroad
compared to a Michigan car, that's almost nothing. The chloride they spread up there is like instant rust for your undercarriage.

spray it with fluid film a few times a year. It will keep it at bay. Pretty much everything else is just temporary too, but costs much more.
Amsoil metal protector HD is the consensus among the guys here in my R&D department. I just did undercarriage wash for now since I've only driven it once, but I'll be applying it for next winter.

Bought a siphoning sand blaster on Amazon for 35$ and a POR15 kit. I have some silver paint that will match close enough.

I'll be 6 ft under before this spot comes back. Hopefully everyone who sees this checks their car as well. Wouldn't want that rust to spread to the sub frame mount if ignored too long.
The following users liked this post:
Harleygirl (05-20-22)
Old 03-12-20, 01:28 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

I would like to get the same picture and angle since I have two Florida only SC430s...
it would be a nice comparison.
Old 03-13-20, 09:58 AM
Andreiu
Driver

Did you get a chance to take a look? With a mirror and flashlight, you can probably get a look without lifting or removing the scuff shield.