SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

1/2 road trip over MINI review on 2k+ miles in 6 days on SC430

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 04:10 PM
dsimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised to see so many complaints on the handling of the SC. My two previous cars were an Audi TT 225Quattro and a BMW 528. I chose the SC over an M3 converitble. I prefer my SC over each of these. My wife still drives a 528 Touring Sport, and I certainly prefer driving my SC. I haven't done any real track testing, but I know that I can turn a corner faster in my SC than I could in any of my previous, or present, vehicles.

The TT has quicker ratio steering and more road feel, but it doesn't have the V8 roar that the SC has. In fact, driving home today with the top down I couldn't help but step on the throttle just to hear the exhaust. Again, I'm surprised that some find the car too silent.

For $85k-$120k I'm sure there are more entertaining rides, but none offer the reliability of a Lexus. And for those of us who don't have unlimited budgets (where $63k is stretching it), I don't think there is a better drivability/reliability combination available, nor do I believe other makes exceed Lexus customer service.

I was actually waiting and hoping to purchase a new BMW 645. However, I'm just not drawn to the look of the new Bimmers. And now that I see that the starting price of a 645 convertible is north of $70k, I am even more satisfied with the decision I made.

I also don't find the ride of my SC cushy. In fact, I think it's a bit harsh; yes, I am still running on Bridgestone run-flats (and I've experienced absolutely no tramlining). I also find the NAV in my '02 SC (built 3/02) to perform flawlessly, and it has helped me find amazing shortcuts through D.C.

Perhaps I may get bored of it some day, but as of now, I have no interest in selling it, and I hope I can keep it long enough for it to become a classic!
Old 09-09-03, 04:51 PM
alfa2600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dsimo

You have expressed my feelings exactly - and curiously, my final choice was between an M3 convertible and the SC, I had put down a deposit for the M3 and it was the first to arrive at my local BMW dealer, on the same day the SC appeared at the Lexus shop. Have never regretted the SC.

alfa2600
Old 09-09-03, 09:25 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sorry..

we changed our whole schedule and didn't go anywhere more than Yosemite and then Death Valley... to Vegas... and this was the first time I could get online (we were distracted too much in Las Vegas.. doh!)

Sorry Gene, I really wanted to get that ride but we abruptly changed plans

Anyway, I did forget to mention (I think) that the stereo in the SC430 is the best I've ever had and will miss it...

BUT, EVERY time I see the new C4 911 (the new WIDE body)... I just drool...(so to speak) ....I used to feel that way about my SC430 but this trip has soured me due to the handling issues. Since being back on the open highway (in Flagstaff, AZ tonight) the car has been great again (minus the tracking issues).

BTW: I didn't see a single other SC430 on the road ANYWHERE until reaching the other side of Yosemite on the way to Lone Pine, CA.... I forgot the name of the town at the moment but it starts with a B... Funny thing is that it was ALSO a Red SC430 and we waved to each other.... his interior was white/cream, however and mine is black.

Anyway, the car is up to 13,594 miles now...

Don't get me wrong, I never had 'handling' complaints back home because it wasn't what I used it for on my straight boring midwest roads... I still have my track set up 911 for weekend track fun.... ...but I wonder if I'll find myself craving that 911 C4 Cabrio the more I see it..

I agree that perhaps it is just my time to move on.... as I only kept my BMW Z3 Roadster for a little over a year and a half before growing totally sick and tired of the glitches and repeat problems (yes, under warranty but a PITA nontheless).... so that was part of the whole alure of the Lexus SC430... to have a car without problems has been great

Anyway, we still have some more time before heading home.... Since we changed our whole trip, we are changing more again and heading down to Sedona tomorrow and back up to Flagstaff (the last time I took 98A to Sedona, I was in my Z3 Roadster and feel the SC430 won't fair as well) but Sedona is just great!