SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Considering 2008 SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 02:10 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Your scalp surgery was wicked! My dermatologist has been monitoring my bald spot for years. Hopefully I can avoid what you went through. Very sorry to hear about your dad too. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. Kudos for being able to provide his care!

On to the fun stuff...I've only owned my 2008 for four years. In 2016, I paid $30K for a pristine example with 45K miles. I likely paid too much, but it was, and still is, flawless. I have zero buyer's remorse and I'm impressed each time I drive it! Since I haven't owned, or even driven, the 2002-2005 model, I can't compare and contrast, but generally, the newer example with the least amount of miles should be a priority, and here's why: The 2002 example you detailed sounds great, considering all the maintenance and repairs that have been done, but that is my only concern. Unless the service provider, specifically the tech who has been working on it, was very good at his trade, I would worry about reliability. I've been working on cars for over 50 years and I know how to do things right. When service providers are doing work, they know how to do things fast and cheap, in order to increase their profits. So, unless the maintenance is done with care, the vehicle is not going to be as reliable as one that has only required preventive maintenance (done properly).

That's my two cents, for whatever it's worth. Bottom line, you will love whichever one you choose! BTW...love your LS!
thx Wilson - appreciate your thoughts -
funny thing, they shaved me bald so didn’t have the spot before but I was like a “Chinese Crested” fog for the first couple months - here’s a pic after 6 wks

and now pretty much all hair has regrown over that entire exposed area you see - plastic surgeon worked to keep most all the hair follicles, but the plastic reconstruction was most of the big incision you saw to “screw my head back together and close the incision - the malignancy was only 3cm long and <1cm deep, so lot of “surgical damage” to repair when on your scalp- BE CAREFUL and keep close watch as mine was underneath my hair growth not an exposed bald spot

love to hear about your SC (color, etc) - I know fr my 99LS w same engine they are great cars as long as properly cared for and maintained - have you had any issues w convertible top or other? Any major maint/repairs?
Old 05-03-20, 02:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad to see that your head is healing well and the hair is growing back.
Old 05-03-20, 03:09 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Harold57
Glad to see that your head is healing well and the hair is growing back.
or maybe my “hair is healing and my head growing back!” After that first night I wasn’t too sure!!!
Old 05-03-20, 03:20 PM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's my 2 cents (probably worth as much): I would get the 08. For a little more, you get a six year newer car. I bought an 09 PB w/ 21K mi three yrs ago and I know I overpaid too but I have zero regrets. I like the color and like I said, it was pristine. Even still smelled new. I paid over $30K (we'll just leave it at that). Do you favor one color over the other? You will likely have this car for the rest of your life. if you factor in how much per day that extra will cost you, it's not much for what you get, IMHO. I plan to keep mine forever. This supposes both cars check out w/ a full mechanical inspection. I am so glad I had that done before I bought mine; it revealed a few things I was able to bargain down for.

I care for my 95 yr old mom w/ early cognition issues. I get it how time consuming this is. I had some early skin cancers removed (also on my face, but you can't tell). Former sun worshiper. My dermatologist absolutely hates that I have a convertible! But I always use spf 50 sunscreen now for sure. Your scalp is healing nicely! Get some good high spf sunscreen & some cool hats.

Good luck choosing and have fun with it! You deserve it! If not now, when, right?

PS: might want to look into a battery tender. Pain in the backside but still worth it.
The following users liked this post:
jeffgwaltney (05-03-20)
Old 05-03-20, 06:09 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JTho
Here's my 2 cents (probably worth as much): I would get the 08. For a little more, you get a six year newer car. I bought an 09 PB w/ 21K mi three yrs ago and I know I overpaid too but I have zero regrets. I like the color and like I said, it was pristine. Even still smelled new. I paid over $30K (we'll just leave it at that). Do you favor one color over the other? You will likely have this car for the rest of your life. if you factor in how much per day that extra will cost you, it's not much for what you get, IMHO. I plan to keep mine forever. This supposes both cars check out w/ a full mechanical inspection. I am so glad I had that done before I bought mine; it revealed a few things I was able to bargain down for.

I care for my 95 yr old mom w/ early cognition issues. I get it how time consuming this is. I had some early skin cancers removed (also on my face, but you can't tell). Former sun worshiper. My dermatologist absolutely hates that I have a convertible! But I always use spf 50 sunscreen now for sure. Your scalp is healing nicely! Get some good high spf sunscreen & some cool hats.

Good luck choosing and have fun with it! You deserve it! If not now, when, right?

PS: might want to look into a battery tender. Pain in the backside but still worth it.
thx JTho - if I remember correctly did you choose white (would it be Starfire Pearl for an ‘09 PB (and the red int) - what were some things the inspection revealed that helped you negotiate your purchase?
Old 05-03-20, 07:47 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Two of your biggest resources in looking for an SC are two of the stickies at the top of the forum page: What to look for when buying a SC430 and SC430 FAQs. They'll mention the most common failures and items that need to be checked out during your search. (Usually the two biggest are timing belt/water pump and front end suspension. But there are several others too.)
jeffgwaltney (05-03-20)
Old 05-04-20, 06:50 AM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Jeff.

The 09 spcl edition exterior was mercury metallic (a light silver) w/ ecru and black leather interior with black bird’s-eye maple wood trim.
I think another year had the colors you referred to.

My mechanic put it on a hoist and there were issues w/ the right rear axle (a crack and gunk / grease all over). I was able to take photos to show the dealer. Other stuff was just stuff I had to do that the dealer "was going to do" such as replace the battery, new tires & sensors, replace all fluids, filters. Once I showed the dealer my photos, they said, "Oh we forgot to tell you about that!" Yeah right.
The biggest thing was the axle which would not have been detected if not on the hoist. All total it was about $1600. I negotiated the dealer price to accommodate this, though I bought better tires than they would have - had them sent to my mechanic from Tire Rack. The on;y thing I didn't think of addressing to maybe get the price down more was the timing belt replacement. Had it done LY despite the low mileage due to the age.

The odd thing was it appeared to have the orig Lexus battery still inside. Can't imagine how that could be, given the history of batteries w/ this car, and the fact that this was an 8 yr old car at that time. Replaced that, too. As well as other small things (bulbs, etc).

I went through three Interstate batteries in a few mos. I had a tender after the third but left it off once for less than a week & it still died. My mechanic could not find a source of drain. I finally got an AGM. And I still hook that up to a tender if I am not using it for long periods. I had perused the stickies on this site and knew of the issues so my eyes were wide open. Some people seem to get lucky w/ their batteries. Hopefully you will but be prepared, esp if this won't be a daily driver.

Best,
Jill

Last edited by JTho; 05-04-20 at 07:17 AM.
jeffgwaltney (05-04-20)
Old 05-04-20, 05:56 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffgwaltney
love to hear about your SC (color, etc) - I know fr my 99LS w same engine they are great cars as long as properly cared for and maintained - have you had any issues w convertible top or other? Any major maint/repairs?
My 2008 is Matador Red Mica with Camel interior. Bought in 2016 with 45K miles, now, four years later, I have 57K on it now with zero problems to report. The top has always worked flawlessly. I recently sold the original G-Spyder wheels as they were too heavy and too flashy. I replaced them with light-weight Enkei RPF1 racing wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires (had been wanting to ditch the run-flats since I bought the car). Instead of plus sizing, like most, I minus-sized the wheels/tires by one inch to increase the sidewall height to improve the ride. I gave up a little on flat cornering, but gained a tremendous improvement in comfort. At 65-years-old, I'm not carving canyons anymore! BTW...I got $650 for the 12-year-old G-spyder wheels on Craigslist!

Here's a couple of pics before I changed the wheels:

I also have a 2001 Toyota Tundra with the same engine and love it too, even though it is now 19 years old! I'm like you, I keep my vehicles a long time and keep them in excellent condition. I even own a 35-year-old MR2! My wife has a 2011 ES350. We've owned it for almost 10 years now and amazingly have had zero problems with it. Part of my luck with repairs is because I do all my own maintenance as I don't trust the techs at the dealers and indies.

Good luck with your quest. Take your time looking--it's half the fun!
Old 05-04-20, 07:10 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
My 2008 is Matador Red Mica with Camel interior. Bought in 2016 with 45K miles, now, four years later, I have 57K on it now with zero problems to report. The top has always worked flawlessly. I recently sold the original G-Spyder wheels as they were too heavy and too flashy. I replaced them with light-weight Enkei RPF1 racing wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires (had been wanting to ditch the run-flats since I bought the car). Instead of plus sizing, like most, I minus-sized the wheels/tires by one inch to increase the sidewall height to improve the ride. I gave up a little on flat cornering, but gained a tremendous improvement in comfort. At 65-years-old, I'm not carving canyons anymore! BTW...I got $650 for the 12-year-old G-spyder wheels on Craigslist!

Here's a couple of pics before I changed the wheels:

I also have a 2001 Toyota Tundra with the same engine and love it too, even though it is now 19 years old! I'm like you, I keep my vehicles a long time and keep them in excellent condition. I even own a 35-year-old MR2! My wife has a 2011 ES350. We've owned it for almost 10 years now and amazingly have had zero problems with it. Part of my luck with repairs is because I do all my own maintenance as I don't trust the techs at the dealers and indies.

Good luck with your quest. Take your time looking--it's half the fun!
Beautiful!😎👍
Old 05-04-20, 07:12 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JTho
Hi Jeff.

The 09 spcl edition exterior was mercury metallic (a light silver) w/ ecru and black leather interior with black bird’s-eye maple wood trim.
I think another year had the colors you referred to.

My mechanic put it on a hoist and there were issues w/ the right rear axle (a crack and gunk / grease all over). I was able to take photos to show the dealer. Other stuff was just stuff I had to do that the dealer "was going to do" such as replace the battery, new tires & sensors, replace all fluids, filters. Once I showed the dealer my photos, they said, "Oh we forgot to tell you about that!" Yeah right.
The biggest thing was the axle which would not have been detected if not on the hoist. All total it was about $1600. I negotiated the dealer price to accommodate this, though I bought better tires than they would have - had them sent to my mechanic from Tire Rack. The on;y thing I didn't think of addressing to maybe get the price down more was the timing belt replacement. Had it done LY despite the low mileage due to the age.

The odd thing was it appeared to have the orig Lexus battery still inside. Can't imagine how that could be, given the history of batteries w/ this car, and the fact that this was an 8 yr old car at that time. Replaced that, too. As well as other small things (bulbs, etc).

I went through three Interstate batteries in a few mos. I had a tender after the third but left it off once for less than a week & it still died. My mechanic could not find a source of drain. I finally got an AGM. And I still hook that up to a tender if I am not using it for long periods. I had perused the stickies on this site and knew of the issues so my eyes were wide open. Some people seem to get lucky w/ their batteries. Hopefully you will but be prepared, esp if this won't be a daily driver.

Best,
Jill
Thank you Jill - love that you found Special Edition - post pics Ext/int sometime