SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tire Blowout/Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20 | 05:37 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Default Tire Blowout/Replacement Question

Yesterday my wife noticed the TPM system light turn on and beep. I checked out the tires and noticed the back left or passenger tire was low on air. I took it to Discount Tire and unfortunately because it was like a staple or two nails, two holes close together they could not repair it so I bought a new tire. The tread depth on a new Michelin tire is about 9 or 10/32's, can't exactly remember, while the tread depth on the other three older tires is at 6/32's. I asked if I should be concerned about running a new tire with three older tires with less tread depth he said there is no reason to be concerned. He recommended that I wait till the other three tires reach 4/32's of tread that will qualify them for a discount on the next three Michelin's purchased and the new fourth one would qualify for some sort of goodwill rebate/discount and then I would finally have four new tires. I'm conservative in regard to tires, does this logic seem sound? TIA
Old 05-06-20 | 11:04 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Discount tire is pretty good and they always seem eager to sell me a tire. If they didn't try to sell you a tire, I think it is because the logic is sound.

However, I would also consider buying another single new tire. That way you have 2 match sets of two tires.

As you know, front tires wear faster than rear tires. You can put the new tires up front and they will wear faster. I doubt if they will wear fast enough to catch up to the rears, but you never know.
The following users liked this post:
texsexlex (05-07-20)
Old 05-07-20 | 05:30 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Thanks for the response. I want to avoid tread depths that do not match and replacing a tire or two here and there. I think I will go with Discount Tire's recommendation and when the other three tires reach 4/32's tread depth I will replace them all and get a goodwill credit on the newest one.

As far as the puncture is concerned, there are legal guidelines they have to follow, so I agreed with their recommendation. I was also concerned about tread depths that do not match effecting treadwear, driveablity, etc., but since this is a basic rear-wheel drive no problems should be encountered.
Old 05-07-20 | 05:15 PM
texsexlex
Racer

I'm with DshngDaryl about buying another single tire & running matching pair. The only difference, is that I would put the new ones on the rear & continue to wear the older tires out first. When it's time to purchase 2 new ones, I would then put those on the rear & move your fairly new ones, to the front.....just my thought
Old 05-23-20 | 11:34 PM
Oivey2000
Rookie

I just purchased an '06 with new Pirelli PZero Run Flats. They ride rough. I've read that they should not be driven in ambient temps of 45 or below. While I don't plan on driving the car in the snow, I do plan on driving it when it's cold out (ie: below 45) and everything I've read said it's dangerous & not to. So I think that, sometime in the fall, I should switch to All Seasons. Looking to stay with the same size, but want a grand touring tire that gives a smooth & comfortable ride (going for luxury here!). I read that Vredenstein Quatrac Pro are good. Anyone replace their summer rubber with all-seasons and, like me, were looking more for ride comfort/no noise than handling (since it will never see a snowy road)? If so, what brand/type?
Old 05-23-20 | 11:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Oivey2000
I just purchased an '06 with new Pirelli PZero Run Flats. They ride rough. I've read that they should not be driven in ambient temps of 45 or below. While I don't plan on driving the car in the snow, I do plan on driving it when it's cold out (ie: below 45) and everything I've read said it's dangerous & not to. So I think that, sometime in the fall, I should switch to All Seasons. Looking to stay with the same size, but want a grand touring tire that gives a smooth & comfortable ride (going for luxury here!). I read that Vredenstein Quatrac Pro are good. Anyone replace their summer rubber with all-seasons and, like me, were looking more for ride comfort/no noise than handling (since it will never see a snowy road)? If so, what brand/type?
I replaced my runflats with Michelin A/S....they have a very quiet ride, great handling & all around good tire. There are a lot of brands out there, that can deliver the same, so do some research & see what might best fit your need & pockets
Old 05-24-20 | 07:11 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
texsexlex (05-25-20)
Old 05-24-20 | 09:00 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

I agree with buying a matched set and putting them on the rear. The rears should always be identical diameter, and your newest tires should always go on the rear. I also agree with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 recommendation.
texsexlex (05-25-20)