SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 11:50 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Headlight restoration

I'm looking to purchase a headlight restoration kit. Any recommendations? There are a couple of different Meguiar's kits, Rain-X, 3M....are they all pretty much the same? Any tips or advice for actually doing the restoration?
Old 05-15-20, 12:31 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
I'm looking to purchase a headlight restoration kit. Any recommendations? There are a couple of different Meguiar's kits, Rain-X, 3M....are they all pretty much the same? Any tips or advice for actually doing the restoration?
It won’t be easy. Lots of work, not like wipe on-wipe off, I can tell you that. Depends on how bad your headlights are, sometimes you can get away with just tooth paste, other times you have to sand it down with 400 or 800 grid sand paper. I used to restore my Corolla headlights, spent many hours and they still looked little dull, probably from inside. The sun UV done quite the damage on those plastics.
Old 05-15-20, 01:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

This is the kit I used. Worked well

3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, 39008
Amazon Amazon

Protect with this or similar -
Blue Magic 730-6 Headlight Lens Sealer - 8 oz.
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-15-20, 01:41 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

ArmorAll has a headlight restoration/protectant sold at Walmart. Its an orange and black box. I have used in the past and it works well.

Ian B
Old 05-15-20, 01:54 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

I've used both the 3M and the Rain-X. Both work well. Once back to clear, you can coat the restored lenses to preserve the polishing with a Meguiar's product called Headlight Coating.

One recommendation I have is that you mask a good 2' around the headlight. The polish sprays everywhere when you use power tools, and once dry, it takes some effort to remove. I use a cordless drill to polish mine, although I have also used a corded drill in the past, as well.

It's a lot of work, but you can get good results if you put in the time. However, the results never last as long as a new headlight lens, even with the Meguiar's coating product. The best results are gotten by replacing with new, then coating, to prevent fogging. I'm experimenting with new OEM on my wife's ES, and new aftermarket on my Tundra. On my SC, I've only polished and coated once in the four years I've owned it.

Too, keeping the vehicle headlights out of direct sun slows down the fogging, but this is easier said then done. I cover my SC, since I don't have room in the garage for it.
Old 05-15-20, 03:45 PM
maarp
Pole Position

^ Thanks Wilson. I've seen some videos and hey usually say to tape the paint. I was wondering if there was a coating or a film of some sort to protect the headlights when you're done. My car lives in the garage overnight, but as my DD, is outside all day, so I should get something to protect them going forward.
Old 05-15-20, 04:18 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
^ Thanks Wilson. I've seen some videos and hey usually say to tape the paint. I was wondering if there was a coating or a film of some sort to protect the headlights when you're done. My car lives in the garage overnight, but as my DD, is outside all day, so I should get something to protect them going forward.

expel plastic protective film. Pre cut to fit. That is if you have a pre 06 . That's truly the best option. If its post 06, you can cut a piece or have it done at a shop.

Old 05-15-20, 04:42 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I used the mothers' kit on my wife's Rx and it worked out well. Just remember to tape off the paint surfaces next to the headlight.
Old 05-16-20, 09:22 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 341 Posts

Wilson2000

So let me get this straight. You park a Tundra Pickup in the Garage and let the SC sit outside? Now I get letting the wife park her ES in the garage because we all know a happy wife is a happy life. But parking the pickup inside over the SC, man that is shameful. (just kidding)

Dennis
The following users liked this post:
Lavaiie (09-12-23)
Old 05-16-20, 10:12 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
So let me get this straight. You park a Tundra Pickup in the Garage and let the SC sit outside?
Unfortunately, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where a million $'s nets you a one-car garage! To ease your mind, I have a $350 car cover that protects the SC very well. I've literally only washed it about one time per year in the four years I've had it. But, each time I drive it and return home, I wipe it down with a detailing spray before covering it again.
The following users liked this post:
Lavaiie (09-12-23)
Old 05-18-20, 06:23 AM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer detail work on headlight covers

I have used the Lex dealer for my headlight cover restoration in conjunction with detail job. They do a great job on my 2003. The kits are a giant pain in the neck, and results are nowhere as good.
Old 05-18-20, 12:59 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidsaxe
I have used the Lex dealer for my headlight cover restoration in conjunction with detail job. They do a great job on my 2003. The kits are a giant pain in the neck, and results are nowhere as good.
​​​​​​Not sure why you think the kits don't work well. They work great and are pretty easy if follow the instructions. User error is often why people get poor results. Don't forget to protect the lens after you clear it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-18-20 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 01:36 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Mine look like the left shot - almost greenish in colour. Hoping to end up like the right one.
Old 05-18-20, 02:46 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's easy enough. That was obviously before and after.
Old 05-19-20, 12:30 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I found trough trial and error that you can use a cleaner wax to clean that top yellow layer off of the headlights. Unfortunately, you will need to use that cleaner wax every 6 month to keep the headlight crystal clear. Even if you use a top coat wax or sealer after the cleaner wax the sun will deteriorate it and the yellowing will start again.

I saw a few youtube videos where a spray clearcoat was applied after the cleaning process and they said that would do the trick... I did not do that so I can't be sure.

The option that has worked on my 2002 sc430 was using the meguiars headlight restoration kit, around $15.
It has been about 2 years since I did it and have been very satisfied with the results.
good luck!

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration