SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Polishing wood trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20 | 04:20 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Default Polishing wood trim

Not sure if there is/was s thread about this, but I polished the wood in my car this weekend.

When shining a bright light on the wood, was a bit surprised at the micro swirls/scratches in the wood...just from age and use.

So I polished it much like you would car paint since the wood has a pretty decent clear coat on it like your exterior paint.

I used a Lake Country orange hand pad cut into a 1" square or so. I used HD Speed all in one as the polish. And of course a bit of elbow grease!

Came out spectacular...depth is impressive. I was negligent taking before pictures...but did snap one after picture.

Easy project to do if you're bored.

The following users liked this post:
Lavrishevo (05-24-20)
Old 05-24-20 | 04:57 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Looks great. Inspires me to do my SC and GX.
Old 05-24-20 | 07:00 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Default wood?

Originally Posted by RRocket
Not sure if there is/was s thread about this, but I polished the wood in my car this weekend.

When shining a bright light on the wood, was a bit surprised at the micro swirls/scratches in the wood...just from age and use.

So I polished it much like you would car paint since the wood has a pretty decent clear coat on it like your exterior paint.

I used a Lake Country orange hand pad cut into a 1" square or so. I used HD Speed all in one as the polish. And of course a bit of elbow grease!

Came out spectacular...depth is impressive. I was negligent taking before pictures...but did snap one after picture.

I have had my dash apart a few different times for radio and a/c control upgrades. I noticed on my car both the dash, door and console wood grained trim are made of plastic. I have an '06

Last edited by leexed; 05-24-20 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-25-20 | 06:17 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by leexed
I have had my dash apart a few different times for radio and a/c control upgrades. I noticed on my car both the dash, door and console wood grained trim are made of plastic. I have an '06
He's absolutely correct. Its all plastic. Yes, you can buff it out. But you need plastic type polishes.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
leexed (05-25-20)
Old 05-25-20 | 12:24 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raven01750
He's absolutely correct. Its all plastic. Yes, you can buff it out. But you need plastic type polishes.

Paul
I've read multiple times that's it's a real wood veneer on plastic. Steering wheel and shifter are more "solid" wood. Ditto my LS430.
Old 05-25-20 | 03:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it is real wood glued to plastic as mentioned.
Old 05-25-20 | 05:46 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

I used a Lake Country orange hand pad cut into a 1" square or so. I used HD Speed all in one as the polish.
Nice work! I haven't heard of the pad or polish brands you used. Are they specific for polishing plastic? Before reading your post, I would have likely tackled this job with any brand of plastic polish I had on hand, like Meguiars, and a microfiber cloth.
Old 05-26-20 | 02:32 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Default sorry

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yes it is real wood glued to plastic as mentioned.

Sorry to disagree, but as you can see the nav screen door is a piece of ABS (marked as such) covered with a piece of aluminum, painted or decal ed, then cleared.
Old 05-26-20 | 09:33 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by leexed

Sorry to disagree, but as you can see the nav screen door is a piece of ABS (marked as such) covered with a piece of aluminum, painted or decal ed, then cleared.
No disagreement on the main door material. But have been told it's real wood many times...a wood veneer. "A wood veneer on composite" was the actual term used. Supposedly from the same tree. I read another story how the veneer sits on a piece of aluminum...which you seem to confirm. And yes, it's nearly paper thin.(my dad woodworks and some of his veneers are incredibly thin).

Although I think, in the end, we're splitting hairs. It's the clear coat that gets the scratches anyways.

**EDIT** Just checked the sales brochure and real wood is mentioned multiple times. Hand chosen for grain consistency too, apparently.

**EDIT 2** Apparently, Yamaha Fine Technologies has been doing the Lexus wood since the onset. The wood itself is only ~ .2mm thick (.008") The wood, aluminum and adhesive composites combined are less than 1mm thick (.04").

Last edited by RRocket; 05-26-20 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-26-20 | 09:43 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Nice work! I haven't heard of the pad or polish brands you used. Are they specific for polishing plastic? Before reading your post, I would have likely tackled this job with any brand of plastic polish I had on hand, like Meguiars, and a microfiber cloth.
No..these are car paint polishing items. Since the wood is covered with a clearcoat (as is the exterior of the car) I used those items in the same way I remove micro swirls from the exterior. Albeit with gentle hand rubbing and not a machine.
Old 05-27-20 | 05:08 AM
maarp
Pole Position

It still astounds me that Lexus, that paradigm of perfection, would use a different species and colour of wood on the steering wheel and shifter than what's used on the rest of the interior. (Mine is the same, not pointing out flaws on yours.)
Old 05-27-20 | 05:45 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Was it just polish that you used or did you use a seal or wax over it? it does look great!
Old 05-27-20 | 03:21 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
Was it just polish that you used or did you use a seal or wax over it? it does look great!
The item I used is an AIO (all in one). It's a cleaner, polish and sealant.
Old 05-27-20 | 03:21 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Picture of the process from Yamaha Fine Technologies. Impressive that all of that is less than 1mm thick when you think about it.