SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lost my key innards. What is the best and cheapest way to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 05:42 PM
OmTeam
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lost my key innards. What is the best and cheapest way to replace?

Hey all. A few days ago I noticed that the key to my 2004 SC was coming apart. Unfortunately, I didn’t do anything about it and at some point the innards (battery and electronics) dropped out (now lost) and all I have is the plastic shell and the metal key, which I found out will not start the car. What is the best and cheapest way to replace?
Fortunately, I have a spare I can use but I need to replace the broken key. Thanks in advance 🙏🏻
Old 06-17-20, 06:06 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Is your spare key a regular or valet key? If it’s a regular (has three buttons), then all you have to do is buy a blank key, have a local Locksmith cuts and programs it, or just have him cuts and program yourself to save $$$.
Old 06-17-20, 07:04 PM
OmTeam
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Gman. My spare is a regular key, not a valet... thinking that the busted and hollow regular key will need some “innards“ that a locksmith won’t have? But I could be wrong about that. Or are you saying I should just have a valet key created since I have an intact regular key?
Old 06-17-20, 07:09 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by OmTeam
Thank you Gman. My spare is a regular key, not a valet... thinking that the busted and hollow regular key will need some “innards“ that a locksmith won’t have? But I could be wrong about that. Or are you saying I should just have a valet key created since I have an intact regular key?
Some locksmiths do have Lexus 3 button replacement keys. Mine didn't..but he did have a flip key (reminded of an Audi key/remote).that he could program for the Lexus.
Old 06-17-20, 07:26 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

You’re lucky that you have a regular spare key. You can create a duplicate using your spare. If you go to Locksmith you’re looking to spend 200-250 dollars. If you buy the blank key, have it cut by a local Locksmith then program it yourself, you will reduce the cost in half. The problem is the blank key purchasing from EBay or Amazon sometimes is not guarantee to be programable. There is a recent discussion about this subject, you will find lots of infos in the link provided in the thread.
Old 06-18-20, 03:24 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by OmTeam
Hey all. A few days ago I noticed that the key to my 2004 SC was coming apart. Unfortunately, I didn’t do anything about it and at some point the innards (battery and electronics) dropped out (now lost) and all I have is the plastic shell and the metal key, which I found out will not start the car. What is the best and cheapest way to replace?
Fortunately, I have a spare I can use but I need to replace the broken key. Thanks in advance 🙏🏻
@OmTeam
see posts #7 and #8 in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...06-2010-a.html

Old 06-18-20, 06:01 AM
Carlos Ramirez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you can order a new key from eBay with new fob, I recommend you also get TIStechstream so you can program it as well, What happens is that ecu has a limit on the number of keys it can support. You would want to remove old keys/fobs and install new ones. A new key is only like $50 bucks techstream with OBDI/usb connector maybe $20.