SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Advice on electric cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 05:44 AM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice on electric cutouts

Good morning, I have been contemplating an exhaust setup for a while now. I do not want anything aftermarket and am in search of a cheap alternative. For about a year now, my plan has been to do a muffler and 3rd cat delete. I believe that is the sound that I would like the most. However, after much research I have come to discover the electric cutout. What I would like to do is replace the third cat with the electric cutout. I would like to have my car very loud and listen to that V8 how it should be, but I would also like the option to go back to stock or similar volume and tone. Is an electric cutout a good idea? They are charging me $450 at a professional muffler shop. I’ve heard that e-cutouts do not last and die. I’ve however heard many good things about QTP. I was actually thinking of ordering QTP e cutouts myself an having a muffler shop at a local flea market install it for me. Any opinions? This is honestly exactly what I want from an exhaust, any reason why I shouldn’t?
Old 07-02-20, 06:29 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Being super loud in a slow car is obnoxious. Hell its obnoxious on a 1000hp car too, but at least understandable there.
Old 07-02-20, 07:02 AM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
Being super loud in a slow car is obnoxious. Hell its obnoxious on a 1000hp car too, but at least understandable there.
Doesn’t take away from the fact it’s a V8. Fast or not I believe that there is a time and place to be loud or not. I will not lie to you, it is extremely annoying at certain locations and times of day, which is why I think the option of closing and opening the cutout is nice. As for this Lexus, I’m 18 and it’s sure as hell faster than whatever the hell my high school friends are driving... and sounds better in my humble opinion XD. Thank you for your feedback though, I do understand your point
The following users liked this post:
NeimanM095 (04-16-23)
Old 07-02-20, 08:02 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Before you do that, take off your y-pipe and hear the noise, make sure you like that before sinking $450 for the e-cutout.
I'm not sure if the e-cutout survives the heat@ the 3rd cat location for long term.
RENEGATE28 (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 08:20 AM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Originally Posted by digitatc
Before you do that, take off your y-pipe and hear the noise, make sure you like that before sinking $450 for the e-cutout.
I'm not sure if the e-cutout survives the heat@ the 3rd cat location for long term.
Oh ok, so in your opinion, do you think my option of doing a third car delete and muffler delete were better? I heard the ls430 straight piped and I really liked it, but definitely not something I would want to be driving all of the time. I think these cars aren’t really meant to be super loud, I like the luxurious quietness of the vehicle, but I just want the option to F around with my friends.
Old 07-02-20, 08:54 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Ive been thinking of doing the exact same thing. Currently, my 98 LS has the rear 4 mufflers removed. 3" original single pipe exits a bit before the rear diff. It is meaty and obnoxious, but fun for occasions. I plan to put a 3" QTP cutout directly before the rear diff, and then reinstall the Y-pipe with 2 of the stock mufflers. And im going to have a cheap exhaust shop in the hood do it, they do the best work.
Old 07-02-20, 09:47 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RENEGATE28
Doesn’t take away from the fact it’s a V8. Fast or not I believe that there is a time and place to be loud or not. I will not lie to you, it is extremely annoying at certain locations and times of day, which is why I think the option of closing and opening the cutout is nice. As for this Lexus, I’m 18 and it’s sure as hell faster than whatever the hell my high school friends are driving... and sounds better in my humble opinion XD. Thank you for your feedback though, I do understand your point
Hey bud, ignore what I said. I was on CL when I was 18 with an sc300 and it was loud. At you’re age you deserve to be as loud as you want... you stop enjoying it as much as you get older.

So as I said, ignore my first post and go for it!
be sure to keep an eye on where you vent the cut outs so you dont melt any plastic or wiring.
The following 2 users liked this post by CCC-TT:
Neil E (07-02-20), RENEGATE28 (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 12:51 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Originally Posted by RENEGATE28
Oh ok, so in your opinion, do you think my option of doing a third car delete and muffler delete were better? I heard the ls430 straight piped and I really liked it, but definitely not something I would want to be driving all of the time. I think these cars aren’t really meant to be super loud, I like the luxurious quietness of the vehicle, but I just want the option to F around with my friends.
Try this, doesn't cost you any $ other than your time.

For third cat delete, how much are you going to pay the shop? I bought the Megan y-pipe for $250 and spent a few hours installing it. It's stainless steel and seems to have bigger diameter.
Get a K&N filter, and don't bother with aftermarket CAI, I think the car has a great design for cold air intake already.

Have fun.
RENEGATE28 (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 01:04 PM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
Hey bud, ignore what I said. I was on CL when I was 18 with an sc300 and it was loud. At you’re age you deserve to be as loud as you want... you stop enjoying it as much as you get older.

So as I said, ignore my first post and go for it!
be sure to keep an eye on where you vent the cut outs so you dont melt any plastic or wiring.
Most definitely man! Yeah, and like I said I completely understand your point, I myself don’t really care for really loud cars, but if all my friends are Going to show off their straight piped inline 4 Honda’s, then I might as well show’em what a real V8 sounds like . After I’m done showing off I’ll just close the cutout and go on with my day. I just graduated high school now and if there’s any time to have a loud car it’s now. Just ordered the QTP cutouts and even bought the controller that comes with it. It was only $307. I’m just not sure how to wire it up, do I really have to drill a hole in my car to get the cables and switch inside the cabin, or is there another way around this? Any tips on how to go about this?
Old 07-02-20, 01:09 PM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

Try this, doesn't cost you any $ other than your time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PToBZCLdkF4

For third cat delete, how much are you going to pay the shop? I bought the Megan y-pipe for $250 and spent a few hours installing it. It's stainless steel and seems to have bigger diameter.
Get a K&N filter, and don't bother with aftermarket CAI, I think the car has a great design for cold air intake already.

Have fun.
Thank you for the video! What I decided on doing is ordering the e-cutouts so that I can have them installed. If for any reason I do not like them I can always keep them closed and do something else to the exhaust Any advice you would give me on how to install? I really want to avoid drilling any holes. And I’m not really too sure how wiring works, or where to connect it to. 😅
Old 07-02-20, 01:25 PM
digitatc
Instructor

I thought you said you'll have the shop install the e-cutout for you so I'm not sure what you need to do. I've never done this but I imagine it's not that hard to run the wire to the battery and use the remote control to open/close. Just make sure you run wire far away from the exhaust.
It'll be loud so 1/2 mile to/from your house, close the valve or your your neighbors will hate you.
RENEGATE28 (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 01:48 PM
RENEGATE28
Rookie

I thought you said you'll have the shop install the e-cutout for you so I'm not sure what you need to do. I've never done this but I imagine it's not that hard to run the wire to the battery and use the remote control to open/close. Just make sure you run wire far away from the exhaust.
It'll be loud so 1/2 mile to/from your house, close the valve or your your neighbors will hate you.
Yes, I was going to have the shop do it. However I called and they decided to raise the price to $550 when I told them what car I drove. They are insane! Plus it wouldn’t even come with a portable controller, just a switch. I got the entire cutout kit for $207 and the controllers for $90. I’ll just have a muffler shop at the flea market weld it in for 50-80 dollars and wire it myself. I’ll save myself $200 and get better quality and convenience That is why I’m asking the questions regarding wiring. You are absolutely correct btw! I do plan on running the wire all the way to the battery. However, the wireless controller box does not do well under the elements and it is recommended to have it inside of the cabin. I am just unsure how I can have the cable run from the battery to inside the car without drilling any holes.
Old 07-02-20, 01:54 PM
digitatc
Instructor

There are many holes in the car, you don't have to drill through any metal, just look closely for those black round plugs.
or run the wire to the back and leave the wireless controller in the spare tire area. It has a round plug, cut a tiny hole just enough for your wire and use some silicone to seal it up.
Old 07-02-20, 03:21 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

digitatc beat me to it. There should be grommets in the firewall and probably behind the rear seat that already bring in wires. Just seal it really good after bringing another cable through.

I like the idea of showing the other guys what a real engine should sound like. Some of those modified cars by kids today are just annoying noise makers that should embarrass the owners... IMHO
CCC-TT (07-02-20)
Old 08-01-22, 01:45 AM
Eleven
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hello, you can try SPELAB exhaust cutout. It can control the exhaust volume with a remote switch to increase the performance of the engine and the sound of the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Advice on electric cutouts