SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why you should replace your Convertible hinge assemblies instead of just the Motors..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 12:39 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts
Default Why you should replace your Convertible hinge assemblies instead of just the Motors..

Regenerate asked me about replacing two motors in his convertible top the dealer said was bad. He didn't know which two motors were bad.
In order to know which motor is bad, you need access to techstream so it can run it's diagnostic in real time while you activate the convertible top sequence.

My recommendation is to replace both hinges assemblies instead of the individual motors. I make this recommendation because that is what the dealer does. If you have a convertible top motor problem, they always recommend replacing both hinges for about $3000-$3500.

I believe they do this because the motors need to be matched in speed when the top closes. If you replace a old motor with a new, slightly stronger motor, then that side turns faster putting the top out of sequence and causing the convertible top computer to shut down the opening/closing.

On the plus side, buying two hinges from the same car on eBay is not much more than buying individual motors. Of course with all used parts, you want newer and lower mileage.

Here is a write up about me replacing the hinge. This was before I decided on my two hinge theory. Plus u will see that I ended up swapping out motors. (everything I am telling you not to do)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...etty-easy.html

Ultimately I decided to do what the dealer does and replaced both hinges from the same car. That resolved my issue.

The following users liked this post:
texsexlex (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 01:29 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Daryl, as much as I respect your knowledge and opinion, on this one I happen to disagree. Each of the motors is controlled independently by the Sliding Top ECU. Which makes each motor independent of all the others. So, unless the hinge assembly is actually damaged due to a lack of maintenance which may also be reflected in the opposite side, I see no reason to go to such extremes and expense.

I myself have changed just one motor controlling the top on the passenger side and have experienced no further issues except for the package tray motor which seems to have been repaired by just tapping on the motor assembly to reseat the brushes.

Just my two cents worth here. Anyone with information I may not have is encouraged to post their opinions and experience on the subject and is welcome.

Paul
Old 07-13-20, 05:39 PM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree...from personal experience. When I bought or sc...3 years ago...the one thing that scrared on this car was the complex top. Plus and a minus. So I bought two complete hinges on ebay for maybe $200. Lo and behold...within a month of ownership...top started being wonky. Took it to a good independant Lexus guy. He said two codes came up with decoder. Said parts for both...were $500 +/-. Both on left side...gave him my spare...Bingo..all fixed. I was happy...he was too...saying sometimes you fix one thing...and it exposes another.

Just sharing my personal experience.