SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

One touch operation for the top

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 12:48 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

For +12V switched IGN power use an "add-a-fuse" pictured above in any of the indicated positions in the photo below.
The add-a-fuse power output wire will be going towards the rear of the car for proper operation.

The following 2 users liked this post by FlopTop04:
CCC-TT (07-17-20), joemg (07-17-20)
Old 07-17-20, 12:52 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
For +12V switched IGN power use an "add-a-fuse" pictured above in any of the indicated positions in the photo below.
The add-a-fuse power output wire will be going towards the rear of the car for proper operation.

This is incredible detail, thank you so much for going to the trouble of explaining all of this.
Old 07-17-20, 12:58 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Glad to help.

You might find another +!2V source with your Digital Multi Meter once you fold back the rug.
With the add-a-fuse installed in the fuse box, the cover will not go back on normally. The
add-a-fuse sticks out about 7/16 of an inch and the cover clearance is minimal.
Old 07-17-20, 01:08 PM
joemg
Instructor

Glad to help.

You might find another +!2V source with your Digital Multi Meter once you fold back the rug.
With the add-a-fuse installed in the fuse box, the cover will not go back on normally. The
add-a-fuse sticks out about 7/16 of an inch and the cover clearance is minimal.

ahh, I'm glad you mentioned it, I was wondering about fitment. I'll dig around with my multimeter and see what I find. Would I need to add an inline fuse to whatever wire I find or would it already have a fuse on any line that's already there?
Old 07-17-20, 01:13 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Actually, that fuse box cover is part of the carpet and not tightly secured. You might get the extra bit of clearance you need.

Wherever you get the +12V power, I would add a inline fuse. I doubt that the TR-7's would short out but it's cheap protection.
The following users liked this post:
joemg (07-17-20)
Old 08-05-20, 11:50 PM
joemg
Instructor

Actually, that fuse box cover is part of the carpet and not tightly secured. You might get the extra bit of clearance you need.

Wherever you get the +12V power, I would add a inline fuse. I doubt that the TR-7's would short out but it's cheap protection.

I haven't had time to tackle this yet, but it occured to me that maybe I should do the quarter window mod while I'm at it.

What is the best way to control the quarter windows without adding any buttons to the car?
I read through this thread where they used a russian device to do it, but I don't know where to get this device.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...n-edition.html

Is there something clever like the TR7's that would do the trick or does someone sell something that does it and doesn't interfere with top operation like the russian device?
Old 08-06-20, 10:30 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
it occured to me that maybe I should do the quarter window mod while I'm at it.
Doing both would be a tough for me. You are already have your car disassembled, But I always think it is better to do one electronic project at a time. If you do both, and there is a problem, it is often very hard to diagnose which part is causing the problem. Especially in your case where you are "blazing a new trail" and the fact the "quarter window mod" and the top, overlap in operation.

Also if you are not confident in electronics, it is even tougher, since if things go wrong, you will have to troubleshoot it yourself
joemg (08-06-20)
Old 08-06-20, 10:34 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Doing both would be a tough for me. You are already have your car disassembled, But I always think it is better to do one electronic project at a time. If you do both, and there is a problem, it is often very hard to diagnose which part is causing the problem. Especially in your case where you are "blazing a new trail" and the fact the "quarter window mod" and the top, overlap in operation.

Also if you are not confident in electronics, it is even tougher, since if things go wrong, you will have to troubleshoot it yourself

That's a very good point. Maybe I should do the top first and then the quarter window mod after i'm sure that's functioning correctly.

To anyone who has the quarter window mod... how is the wind noise at highway speed with just the quarter windows down (and top up)? That's kind of my main motivation, the front windows are SO loud when they're down on the highway.
Old 08-06-20, 12:21 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm more interested in the rear windows mod than the top. I think ShawnOK did this but I'm nowhere near that good to try it.
Old 08-06-20, 04:35 PM
truongsean
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

joemg,
are you in southern CA if so let me know. if you need help I would like to offer help and if it work out well we can share amongst the forum..

Sean
Old 08-06-20, 07:22 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

A few thoughts on the rear quarter window mod...

I believe the main reason for this mod was to be able to have the top up and get all the windows down. The car just looks better that way. The other aspect for the mod was to be able to have the top down and all the windows up on a chilly day.

From what I have read, due to the way the windows travel up and down, there is a specific sequence that Lexus implements via computer control. Specifically, the front windows must be down before the rears are allowed to move down. Conversely, the rear windows must go up before the front windows go up. The thought being that the windows could bind or damage the molding if not operated in that sequence. If this is true, then operating the rear quarter windows while the front windows are up could cause problems. Someone that has done the rear quarter mod via relays or standard window control modules like the Directed 535T or 529T and a switch could help verify this info.

We must also remember that Lexus designed many safeties into the convertible top system. As reported by members, the rear quarter window mod "upsets" the SC430 when used. One reported sequence was rolling up the rear windows while the top was down. The top would not operate ( close ) until the rear windows were rolled down and the car was turned off and restarted, resetting the computers These issues would happen with any system that altered the rear windows location when the top was down. Lexus designed the system/control logic and doesn't want or expect any changes. Not a big deal or show stopper, just something to be aware of. After a restart everything is back to normal. No ECL's, etc.

I'm not sure if it is in production or available in the states, but the Russian module mentioned above would be a better way to go for a few reasons. First, it's a single module. Second, it appears all the necessary connections are in the trunk area and not by the rear quarter window motors. Thirdly, their system has built in "anti-pinch" and can move both rear windows at the same time like the factory system does with top open and close sequences. Not sure what the Russian module costs but two PAC TR-7's and one DEI 535T would be around $100.

The following 2 users liked this post by FlopTop04:
digitatc (08-06-20), GmanSC (08-06-20)
Old 08-07-20, 10:46 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

I'm not sure if it is in production or available in the states, but the Russian module mentioned above would be a better way to go for a few reasons. First, it's a single module. Second, it appears all the necessary connections are in the trunk area and not by the rear quarter window motors. Thirdly, their system has built in "anti-pinch" and can move both rear windows at the same time like the factory system does with top open and close sequences. Not sure what the Russian module costs but two PAC TR-7's and one DEI 535T would be around $100.
You can take the website off the module in the picture:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...n-edition.html
Old 08-08-20, 12:33 PM
joemg
Instructor

Thank you all for this excellent information. FlopTop04, the level of detail in your posts is fantastic!

The URL on the device leads you to this page:
http://www.turbofactory.ru/sc430/
which leads you to this page:
https://www.drive2.ru/b/544172220037988376/

When I wrap up some of the other things I'm working on (ECU Tune still ongoing) I'll start trying to track down someone in Russia who can sell me one of these maybe. I'll report back if I manage to get one.

I've had really great luck working with guys on drive2.ru for other things (rear STB brace was a homerun!)

The rear quarter windows are such a minor thing, if it can be done without causing any issues and without costing too much, I'll give it a shot. If not, not really that big a deal, I keep the top down probably like 85% of the time.
Attached Thumbnails One touch operation for the top-photo_2019_12_11_21_53_38_81dfa934eeae1c48aa38f13e4b27924d024cd8c3.jpg  
Old 08-08-20, 02:24 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

https://translate.googleusercontent....CwD35ccKUIXv5w

at the bottom of the post the guy mentions 7000 ₽ and that's about $95 according to today rate.

that site drive2.ru has a lot of cool mods as well. One of those guy makes a mid chassis brace for $80.

Last edited by digitatc; 08-08-20 at 02:28 PM.
joemg (08-08-20)
Old 08-09-20, 07:32 AM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Also we with other guys from Russian sc club asked him to made controller for remote top down/up from factory key. I hope he can do it, but seems like it is not interesting for him, sc is rare car, it will not be much orders.

Quick Reply: One touch operation for the top