SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

One touch operation for the top

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 02:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Reminder about our forum rules regarding group buys - that's a benefit allowed only for our supporting Club Lexus forum vendors.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...faq_group_buys

Group Buys, Bulk Sales and Gathering Interest Posts
Group Buys (GB) or bulk sales are allowed ONLY in conjunction with a Club Lexus authorized vendor. ‘Gathering interest’ posts for group buys or new products are also not allowed without the prior support of an authorized Club Lexus vendor which can be coordinated directly through the vendor or requested of moderators or the forum administrator. Linking to group buys sponsored by non-CLUB LEXUS vendors or on other sites/forums is not allowed.

Inappropriate GB posts will be promptly closed or removed without notice.
I've removed a few posts related to group buys from this thread; please do not replace them. While it's absolutely fine to discuss a product and it's pros/cons (sold via CL vendor or otherwise) or figure out and share a DIY that does that function, group buys need to be arranged via CL vendors. The seller can sign up to be a vendor or sometimes an existing CL vendor can carry the product and host it.

Please PM me with any GB questions vs posting and let's keep this thread on the controller topic so it can stay open. Thanks
Old 08-09-20, 03:21 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Reminder about our forum rules regarding group buys - that's a benefit allowed only for our supporting Club Lexus forum vendors.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...faq_group_buys

I've removed a few posts related to group buys from this thread; please do not replace them. While it's absolutely fine to discuss a product and it's pros/cons (sold via CL vendor or otherwise) or figure out and share a DIY that does that function, group buys need to be arranged via CL vendors. The seller can sign up to be a vendor or sometimes an existing CL vendor can carry the product and host it.

Please PM me with any GB questions vs posting and let's keep this thread on the controller topic so it can stay open. Thanks

Sorry about that!
Old 08-09-20, 03:22 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by truongsean
joemg,
are you in southern CA if so let me know. if you need help I would like to offer help and if it work out well we can share amongst the forum..

Sean
I am, I'm in the SD area, how about you?
Old 05-16-23, 12:46 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
A few thoughts on the rear quarter window mod...

I believe the main reason for this mod was to be able to have the top up and get all the windows down. The car just looks better that way. The other aspect for the mod was to be able to have the top down and all the windows up on a chilly day.

From what I have read, due to the way the windows travel up and down, there is a specific sequence that Lexus implements via computer control. Specifically, the front windows must be down before the rears are allowed to move down. Conversely, the rear windows must go up before the front windows go up. The thought being that the windows could bind or damage the molding if not operated in that sequence. If this is true, then operating the rear quarter windows while the front windows are up could cause problems. Someone that has done the rear quarter mod via relays or standard window control modules like the Directed 535T or 529T and a switch could help verify this info.

We must also remember that Lexus designed many safeties into the convertible top system. As reported by members, the rear quarter window mod "upsets" the SC430 when used. One reported sequence was rolling up the rear windows while the top was down. The top would not operate ( close ) until the rear windows were rolled down and the car was turned off and restarted, resetting the computers These issues would happen with any system that altered the rear windows location when the top was down. Lexus designed the system/control logic and doesn't want or expect any changes. Not a big deal or show stopper, just something to be aware of. After a restart everything is back to normal. No ECL's, etc.

I'm not sure if it is in production or available in the states, but the Russian module mentioned above would be a better way to go for a few reasons. First, it's a single module. Second, it appears all the necessary connections are in the trunk area and not by the rear quarter window motors. Thirdly, their system has built in "anti-pinch" and can move both rear windows at the same time like the factory system does with top open and close sequences. Not sure what the Russian module costs but two PAC TR-7's and one DEI 535T would be around $100.

I should have bought the Russian device when it was available. He's still making them but because of the war paypal nolonger services Russia so there isn't a easy/good way to purchase from him.

There's a similar but less refined device on yahoo! japan, but its costly with the proxy service.

I'm going to follow these instructions using
THIS THIS
Scytek ACCWR-8-4 device (window controller).

Props to Retroplay, I can't even count how many OG threads of his I've read through regarding wiring of this car for various projects.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post9577530

FlopTop04, if you're still around, my question to you is this:

Can I use 2 TR7's in place of the 3way momentary switch (Function 14 I think). I would like to use the "window lock" button as the trigger for both up & down like the Russian unit. So for 3 pulses: TR7#1 will pulse the "down activation" wire once and for 2 pulses: TR7#2 will pulse the "up activation" wire once. (on the skytek unit).

Do you see any issues with this? You have a very strong understanding of the TR7s.
Old 05-16-23, 01:16 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

What I have never understood is since all window functionality is programmed, why couldn't Lexus have just programmed it that the rear windows go up too if you hold the close button. Oversite in my opinion.

Paul
Old 05-16-23, 01:33 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raven01750
What I have never understood is since all window functionality is programmed, why couldn't Lexus have just programmed it that the rear windows go up too if you hold the close button. Oversite in my opinion.

Paul
right?!

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if the rear windows just did whatever the front windows do. I'm never going to want 1 up and 1 down on the same side.

I wonder if there would be a clever way to wire that with the TR7 instead of a switch. Maybe Fliptop has an idea how. I'm not sure what wire would be a proper trigger in that scenario.
Old 05-16-23, 02:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Props to Retroplay, I can't even count how many OG threads of his I've read through regarding wiring of this car for various projects.
.[/QUOTE]

Retroplay certainly knew his way around our car…he was in the business of restoring old aircraft avionics here in Melbourne…i too learned plenty from him.
i had lunch with him once and what an intelligent person…he gave me a gear for the ashtray in my 2007
Old 05-16-23, 07:25 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Retroplay certainly knew his way around our car…he was in the business of restoring old aircraft avionics here in Melbourne…i too learned plenty from him.
i had lunch with him once and what an intelligent person…he gave me a gear for the ashtray in my 2007[/QUOTE]

That's great! I hope he's doing well. I wonder if he still has his SC.