SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Meet Samantha, my newly bought 2005 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 10:58 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

His girl might have some issues. It's very difficult to say for sure, but the body lines appear to be off on the drivers side rear. Plus, if he can see daylight from under the door sill on the passenger side, He has some major damage. First off would be to pull the passenger seat and carpet back to find out just how much damage to the floor plates etc., then have the frame checked. I think he knows all of this already. I just hope it doesn't turn into too big of a project to get her back on the road safely.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
Foxfire413 (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 11:10 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxfire413
It opens just fine, but it needs help closing. The right roof pin that fits into the hole near the windshield is too high, while the left fits just fine. I close it 90 percent of the way, push down the roof with my left hand, then press the close button with my right. (While standing outside the passenger door)

Hopefully Lexus allowed some adjustments to be made near the hinges, otherwise I'll have to get crafty with a solution. Any tips would be appreciated.
Well, this is what I can tell you about the top. There is only one user adjustment that sets the proper gap of the middle hinge point. I was trying to think of anything else it could be. And this is a reach. One of the main drive motors could have slipped a tooth during the impact. "I don't believe it mind you" because you say that it closes just fine with some assist. That to me means that the tops final position is straight and even across the top where it meets the windshield with no unusual gap from one side to the other. This would also tell me that the front latches that secure the top are also engaging. You have not mentioned whether or not you are throwing codes though. What I do believe is that the impact did indeed twist the frame. You have cross bracing under the frame for stiffening. One of more of these braces may have been knocked out of alignment or are damaged. Good luck and keep us informed.

Paul
Foxfire413 (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 07:19 PM
Foxfire413
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

About an inch, if it isn't helped down then the pin will stab into the rubber liner, just above the pin hole.
Old 07-31-20, 07:21 PM
Foxfire413
Rookie

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Well, this is what I can tell you about the top. There is only one user adjustment that sets the proper gap of the middle hinge point. I was trying to think of anything else it could be. And this is a reach. One of the main drive motors could have slipped a tooth during the impact. "I don't believe it mind you" because you say that it closes just fine with some assist. That to me means that the tops final position is straight and even across the top where it meets the windshield with no unusual gap from one side to the other. This would also tell me that the front latches that secure the top are also engaging. You have not mentioned whether or not you are throwing codes though. What I do believe is that the impact did indeed twist the frame. You have cross bracing under the frame for stiffening. One of more of these braces may have been knocked out of alignment or are damaged. Good luck and keep us informed.

Paul
I think you're spot on, I'm not throwing any codes regarding the roof operation, and the motors seem to be in sync too. I'll try and post updates as time goes on, parts are already in the mail as we speak too.
Old 07-31-20, 07:26 PM
Foxfire413
Rookie

Originally Posted by Raven01750
His girl might have some issues. It's very difficult to say for sure, but the body lines appear to be off on the drivers side rear. Plus, if he can see daylight from under the door sill on the passenger side, He has some major damage. First off would be to pull the passenger seat and carpet back to find out just how much damage to the floor plates etc., then have the frame checked. I think he knows all of this already. I just hope it doesn't turn into too big of a project to get her back on the road safely.

Paul
She's already great on the road, I just got home from a 1300 mile trip from where I picked her up. Just a few evap codes showed up on the whole trip (turned out two hoses were disconnected). Although, the radiator cap did blow and spray the engine bay with coolant (I didn't notice til I got back, the tempo gauge never went above halfway and there were no symptoms of overheating). I don't believe it was the right cap, it was rated for .9 bar, whereas on *******.com the cap matching my VIN is rated for 1.1 bar. The higher rated cap is on order now, but to be safe I haven't ruled out the radiator either, I'll check for damage in the daylight.
Old 08-01-20, 06:24 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Foxfire413, one of the symptoms of motor mounts going bad is hoses coming loose. Also, as these cars age, the vacuum hoses get hard and crack. So be sure to check out both of these, as your hoses may be telling you that you need new motor/transmission mounts and since you have to reconnect the hoses, check them out to determine whether it is time to replace them also.
Foxfire413 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 07:46 AM
Foxfire413
Rookie

Originally Posted by Harold57
Foxfire413, one of the symptoms of motor mounts going bad is hoses coming loose. Also, as these cars age, the vacuum hoses get hard and crack. So be sure to check out both of these, as your hoses may be telling you that you need new motor/transmission mounts and since you have to reconnect the hoses, check them out to determine whether it is time to replace them also.

My mechanic said the exact same thing about the motor mounts! Luckily the hoses are still soft and malleable, I suspect it will need the motor mounts though.