SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

No audio from stereo after airbag replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 03:37 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaStories
I haven't solved the problem. I haven't had time to pull the radio and isolate the bad connection, and I lost sound again this past weekend. I was just suggesting that the other poster check his connections before buying a new amp since he has the same symptoms that I have.
Bummer. I was hoping for the best for you.

You may want to ask him if he wants to buy one of your amps, if his connections are good.

BTW, have you ever felt your amp to see if it unusually hot?
Old 10-01-20, 10:30 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Is there a pattern to the loss in audio? Such as:
  • Does it always have audio when you first start it up?
  • Does the audio go away after playing it for a while?
  • Does the audio ever come back on the same trip once it goes out?
  • Do bumps make any difference?
  • Does the outside temperature seem to have any affect on it?
  • Is it more apt to fail after playing loud music, or does it equally fail after playing softer music?
Old 10-01-20, 05:47 PM
SeaStories
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no pattern. Every time it happens, it does not come back on until I remove the head unit and mess with the harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. I have not observed bumps being the cause. It has been hot or mild out when it has happened. The volume does not seem to have an impact. I'm hoping to work on it this weekend.

SeaStories
Old 10-03-20, 08:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Thanks for the clarification SeaStories. I'm still pretty sure that there is a loose pin in a connector or just a loose connector. Hopefully the loose component is one of the external connectors and not one on the inside of the unit.
Old 10-04-20, 08:35 AM
SeaStories
Driver

I pulled the head unit out and, as far as I can tell, isolated the problem to the harness that came with my VAIS. I removed the VAIS and the stereo is working fine. I’m going to give it a few days to make sure that was the only problem.

I will report back.

SeaStories
Old 10-04-20, 09:21 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

I pulled the head unit out and, as far as I can tell, isolated the problem to the harness that came with my VAIS. I removed the VAIS and the stereo is working fine. I’m going to give it a few days to make sure that was the only problem.

I will report back.

SeaStories
I’ll bet that is it. Congrats.
Old 10-04-20, 09:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I'm glad that you were able to track it down SeaStories. Depending on what the problem is, you might be able to fix the harness and reinstall the Vais. Check out the connectors for loose pins/sockets. Sometimes you can just reinsert them back into the connector housing and be okay but other times, they won't stay because the little locking tab on the pin/receptacle is damaged and will require replacing the pin/receptacle itself. Also look for broken or cut wires. (Unfortunately, broken wires are not always visible as the copper can break inside the insulation without the insulation showing any damage.)
Old 10-05-20, 11:55 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I will report back.

SeaStories
WOO WHO! That is awesome you solved it (Hopefully)

Harold has some GREAT tips on fixing the cable. Most likely one of the pins in the harness came loose and you can just use a small screwdriver to push it back into place.

I don't know if this is the cable you need, but thought I'd send it your way anyways.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-SPEC-VA...ce56c496964470
Old 10-05-20, 06:34 PM
Hookedongo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for that information. My car is planning to go in for that within the next week or so. I have a 2003 SC430 which was in fantastic shape when I purchased it two years ago. The only nicks I could see on the leather were on the dash where they put in a new Pioneer radio. Has anyone been told by Lexus that because you have a installed a non factory radio that it would cost you upwards of $200 plus to have the bag replaced because of the new wires that make it more difficult for them?
Old 10-12-20, 09:15 AM
SeaStories
Driver

@Hookedongo , the dealer did not charge me extra because I had the VAIS aux input device installed. It sounds suspicious that they would charge you extra because you have an aftermarket stereo.
Old 10-12-20, 09:17 AM
SeaStories
Driver

I've been driving my car for a week with the VAIS removed, and the stereo works consistently. I could not identify any loose wires in the VAIS harness, and it is still under warranty, so I have contacted VAIS to get my unit repaired or replaced. I'll see how that goes.
Old 10-12-20, 11:51 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I've been driving my car for a week with the VAIS removed, and the stereo works consistently. I could not identify any loose wires in the VAIS harness, and it is still under warranty, so I have contacted VAIS to get my unit repaired or replaced. I'll see how that goes.
Thanks for the update. It is always good to hear how the issues are resolved; Especially for the people that have the problem in the future.
Old 10-18-20, 06:02 PM
SeaStories
Driver

I emailed VAIS and explained my situation, and they sent me a replacement Y harness to me vi overnight delivery. I put it in yesterday and have driven the car approximately 30 miles, and so far, so good.

SeaStories
Old 10-18-20, 07:51 PM
Natroth
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

I emailed VAIS and explained my situation, and they sent me a replacement Y harness to me vi overnight delivery. I put it in yesterday and have driven the car approximately 30 miles, and so far, so good.

SeaStories
So! SeaStories, with all this hindsight, can you tie the source problem to the recall? Did the dealer simply bump the faulty wiring? I have been following your story as my car has to go in for recall soon. I will video the dash to show everything is working and no warning lights are on and also take photos of the leather components, then cross my fingers
Old 10-18-20, 11:09 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Took my SC in for airbag recall, twice. Nothing was damage. Got the loaners plus car wash but no gas.

Quick Reply: No audio from stereo after airbag replacement