No audio from stereo after airbag replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 07:46 AM
SeaStories
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No audio from stereo after airbag replacement

All,

I recently took my 2002 SC430 with the ML stereo in for the airbag recall, and shortly after I got the car back my stereo stopped making sound. The head unit seems to function fully, and the antenna goes up and down when I change sources. The nav screen is also on the fritz. The nav screen shows the Lexus symbol on startup, and the tilt feature works. The information menu causes the screen to say "information menu" but that's it. Other than that, the screen usually unresponsive. If I turn the car off and on several times, the display menu button will bring the display menu up, and I can get into the diagnosis screen. However, the diagnosis screen does not look like the pictures I've seen in other threads. Here is a photo:

The only reason I mention the airbag replacement is because I know they had the dash open, as I had disconnected my TPMS and the dealer reconnected it.

My questions are as follows:

1. Given the information I provided, can anyone give me a definitive diagnosis of the problem?

2. If there are different possible problems, what is the best course of attack for me to diagnose what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-20, 09:51 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

First thing you should try is disconnect the battery to see if anything changes. If not, take the SC back to the dealer. Upon your claim, they will go thru the dash to see if they have forgot something. My suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
SeaStories (08-04-20)
Old 07-31-20, 09:58 AM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same recall performed and had all kind of audio concerns afterward. Being that I have an aftermarket system many connections were left apart. I hate pulling the head unit out but I had to, to reconnect everything. Good luck, I am sure that you will find and correct the dealer missteps.
SeaStories (08-04-20)
Old 07-31-20, 04:49 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It sounds like they knocked a connector loose on the back of one of the modules (headunit or NAV) or both or damaged a cable there. If you trust the dealer, bring it back to them, they should fix it. Seems like my headunit door quit working and I brought it back and they fixed it, though they kept it for another day in doing so. No charge.

If you don't trust the dealer, open it up yourself by going through the procedure to remove the head unit and NAV modules and inspect the cables and connections.
SeaStories (08-04-20)
Old 08-01-20, 12:23 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

The NAV has 4 harness connectors. They each do a different function. I bet one (or more) are loose.

This is what the NAV board looks like

I would take the car back to the dealer and ask them to check it. I always have the fear the dealer is going to not take responsibility and charge me for the service call, but so far I haven't heard that happening on Air Bag recall work. They were also suppose to give you a tank of gas, did u get yours?
SeaStories (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 05:35 AM
SeaStories
Driver

Thanks for all the input. The only thing I got around to was disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, which did not do the trick. Working like crazy so I can go on vacation next week, so it may be a little while before I deal with this issue, but I will post an update eventually.
Old 08-22-20, 09:03 AM
SeaStories
Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
The NAV has 4 harness connectors. They each do a different function. I bet one (or more) are loose.

This is what the NAV board looks like

I would take the car back to the dealer and ask them to check it. I always have the fear the dealer is going to not take responsibility and charge me for the service call, but so far I haven't heard that happening on Air Bag recall work. They were also suppose to give you a tank of gas, did u get yours?
So I took it back to the dealer and asked them to check the connections, which they did, reluctantly, and they said everything checks out and it is probably a bad amplifier. When I picked up the car, the speedometer did not work and the ABS light was on, neither of which was a problem I had ever experienced. I turned around and took it back to the dealer and told them what happened and the service advisor's immediate reaction was that these problems existed when I dropped it off for the airbag recall and that they were noted then, neither of which was true, which made me angry. They agreed to take a look at it, but my wife, who had given me a ride to pick up the car, had already left, so I said I'd bring it back another day. Then I got in the car and I had no power steering! This all seems crazy to me. I understand that an old car will have issues, but why do my issues only come up when it is at the dealer?

I'd appreciate any insights on why the ABS light and speedometer would stop working and whether it has anything to do with the checking of the stereo issue.

Putting aside the new issues, looks like I need a new (or used) amplifier. Ugh.

Thanks again for the input and advice.
Old 08-22-20, 03:27 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Hmm, sounds serious. First the audio, now the air bag and power steering. I really think you’re having electrical disconnection somewhere. The weird thing is all three are unrelated.
Two things I must ask: one, do you find any rodent dropping in or around engine compartment? Two, were your car had history of flooding or water leaking anywhere ?
SeaStories (08-23-20)
Old 08-23-20, 10:11 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeaStories

I'd appreciate any insights on why the ABS light and speedometer would stop working and whether it has anything to do with the checking of the stereo issue.

Putting aside the new issues, looks like I need a new (or used) amplifier. Ugh.

Thanks again for the input and advice.
Your speedometer and ABS is controlled by the same module.

In my opinion, It seems like you have an electrical issue. That possibly your battery connection is poor or your alternator is not charging, or the voltage regulator (which is built in to the alternator) is bad.

The reason both Gman and I think this, is because it seems weird that multiple modules would give you problems and electrical is a component that all of them share.

Could it be related to the airbag replacement? Possibly. I am sure they disconnected your battery when they worked on the airbag. That means my first place to look would be at the battery itself. Check the connections for a tight fit, check for white stuff on the battery terminals (white stuff is bad) Here is a video for other things you can check

SeaStories (08-23-20)
Old 08-24-20, 10:58 AM
SeaStories
Driver

The dealer called and said that I have a bad Skid Control Module, that it is coincidence that it failed while I had it in the shop, and that they charge $3,500 to replace it ($2,700 part, $800 labor). I would appreciate thoughts on whether it is reasonable to believe that it is coincidence that the module failed while it was in the shop and the most efficient way of replacing the module.

Thanks in advance,

SeaStories
Old 08-24-20, 03:20 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

@Wilson2000

If someone reversed the car battery and attached the cables to the wrong posts, would that blow the electronic modules in a car?

It really isn't feasible since the cables are pretty short so the battery would have to be physically removed and placed in backwards, but I thought I would ask.
Old 08-24-20, 03:24 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Other people have had to replace their skid control modules. It is not an uncommon problem. Your car is 18 years old, so that is a contributing factor to the fact it has gone bad.

If you work on your car, I hear that you can buy a used one off ebay and replace it yourself.

Other people have found independent mechanics that are willing to put in a used module. (many won't)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...odule&_sacat=0

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 08-24-20 at 03:33 PM.
SeaStories (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 05:48 PM
SeaStories
Driver

I’m definitely getting a used module if I can’t find someone to repair my bad one. I’ll try installing t myself. My friend has a shop, so he will install a used one for me if I need it (he would not do it for a person off the street.

Ah, the joys of a 20 year old car! I’m lucky I (1) don’t have to drive to work and (2) have another car.
Old 08-28-20, 11:26 AM
robertbuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just joined ClubLexus today. I had the same issue when I turned in my 2003 SC430 to the dealer for an AirBag recall. I wish I would've said forget it. Got the car back - no power seating adjustment after closing the door to a pre-set setting; steering wheel did not pop-up when shutting off engine and exiting the car, CD player no longer produced sound. Took it back and they "fixed" the seat selector and steering wheel function but did not fix the CD player. Claimed everything is working. I pulled out a CD from my backpack to test it and it did not work right in front of the service tech. He said it may need to be replaced ($700.00 part) but would like the car another day to check it - with service labor charges.
I have been a customer at this dealership for over 20 years. I am no longer a customer of theirs. They screwed this up and want me to pay for fixing it. Obviously it something they broke when they replaced the air bag. This is not a coincidence since other people have reported problems after having this done. Lexus quality of service here in Las Vegas has seriously deteriorated; I now go to a private mechanic.
SeaStories (08-29-20)
Old 08-28-20, 02:30 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

For the new owners of the SC, if you take your car to the dealer for the air bag recall, make sure you document the current condition of your car with photos and videos. Also, talk to the service manager about your concerns and show him the proofs. Many of us has scratches or nicks to the leather.

Quick Reply: No audio from stereo after airbag replacement