SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Valentine One rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 10:59 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valentine One rear view mirror

I know this should be (and it is) in the electronics forum, but I thought you guys might like to see it. You can see pics in the electronics forum or on their website at beastpower.com. It looks nice, especially since we have limited space in our SC430s. You could put the detector right in front of the rear view mirror and not have to worry about the display or the remote module. Just thought you might think it was neat.

Doc C
Old 09-11-03, 12:40 PM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Nonsense

This makes no sense to me at all.

First of all, it's $900, and you still have to put the V1 up on the visor or on the windshield, so you don't save any windshield space. You cannot put it right behind the mirror or you will block the sensors which receive signals that are behind you.

I just did 1,500 highway miles with the V1 stuck to the windshield to the right of the mirror, and the little remote stuck with velcro to the top of the dash way over on the far left. This worked great. I like the remote sensor there, instead of atop the steering column, which is too low to be really convenient.

This mirror thing is cute and quite an accomplishment, but I don't see any advantage to having it if you have to mount the V1 up there anyway.

I might be missing something, but I'm not missing the $900.00 part.
Old 09-11-03, 02:09 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

tfischer,

Oh, it makes no sense at all!! But, neither does lowering your car 2", or putting 20" wheels on it or anything else. I mean, the response to that would be "Yeah, but lowering looks cool!!". Never mind it's expensive, rides rough, and you scrape on anything bigger than a cockroach. Same with this. It's different and looks good. What I meant about detector placment was that a lot of people put theirs to the right of the rearview mirror and I had heard that the mirror or sunvisor down can sometimes block the display. I was not commenting on how much sense it made, or how cost effective it is, just that it was different and nice.

Doc C
Old 09-11-03, 02:22 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree Doc. How many folks do stuff to their cars just because they can ? I for one do. Heck, I'd buy a shoebox if it came with an on/off switch and flashing lights!
Old 09-11-03, 02:48 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Larry,

LOL. Absofreakinlutely!!!!!

Doc C
Old 09-12-03, 04:50 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay ... to the highest bidder goes this wonderful marvel of ingenuity. The real beauty behind this ... um ... beauty is that it uses no energy - it doesn't have a plug.
Bids start at $1,000.
Attached Thumbnails Valentine One rear view mirror-switch.jpg  
Old 09-12-03, 06:34 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

I bid $1,500. !! I just gotta have it !!

Actually, today is quite an exciting day for me. I'm having a new Dell computer delivered with all the bells and whistles, am expecting my new Panasonic "RR-US006" digital recorder with docking station, a set of "Altec-Lansing" speakers for my computer and am picking up a radio controlled airplane (a cheapo trainer for about $49.)

I have all this stuff delivered to my office and then sneak it home bit by bit so the Mrs. doesn't yell at me.

I can't wait to get home and play with all my stuff !!!
Old 09-12-03, 07:15 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Yikes, Larry ... that's a whole lotta stuff at one time!

Dell's a good choice - I've been buying them for years for myself and for others. In fact, I have three in my den right now - gotta get rid of the old 266, though. I need some room for a pre-amp and turntable so I can start ripping my LPs to CDs on the 733.

Wait ... this is off-topic! Um ... I plan to use the CDs in my SC430. There ... that should do it.
Old 09-12-03, 07:30 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

It's not off topic Ed. I plan to use my new Dell to log on to Club Lexus and take part in the discussions. I'm not that computer savvy as far as brands go, but the guy in command of the out I.T. Division highly reccomends them. Have you looked at their website (when you're not on this one.............)? You can start with a computer for 99 cents and before you're done customizing he price is over $50,000 !! Well ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration..........anyway, the I.T. guy sat at my computer (while I was on the Lexus forum.........) and configured the whole system for me. He was able to get an "upgrade" and got me a second drive that can burn DVD's (not that I'd ever do that of course.........) as well as read/write CD (that I'll listen to in my Lexus).

By the way, I also got a custom automatic knife made by Rainy Vallotton yesterday !! (I also collect automatic knives of the high end variety). I'm sure most of you guys have no clue what I'm talking about here........
Old 09-12-03, 07:53 AM
tfischer

Default Enhance It

ED:

When you are recording those LPs to the computer, get DC Five or DC Millenium audio restoration and enhancement software (go to: www.audioenhancement.com). I have recently used DC Five to restore and enhance some old 33s from the 60's. The software takes out all the pops, hiss, clicks and other surface noise. Really amazing.

Then you can play the CD in your Lexus.
Old 09-12-03, 08:56 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Larry ...
Rainy Vallotton automatic knives? GULP! We used to call them switchblades back in the 50's

Yeah, Larry ... I've configured quite a few Dells for myself and others. It's amazing how the price can run up. I don't think I've ever paid less than $2,900 for any of mine (which I, too, use to access ClubLexus). I get a new Dell whenever the processor speed increases threefold over my current PC, so I guess my next one will have a 7.2GB processor chip.

Tim ...
Thanks much for the recommendation. I've collected some information on transferring LPs to CDs, but haven't come across that particular software package. I'll check it out; my old LPs will sound great on CDs in my Lexus SC430.
Old 09-12-03, 06:24 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

OK Ed, yes they are switchblades ! Been collecting ever since I saw "West Side Story" back in the 60's. I use them to fend off vandals when they approach my Lexus.

Thanks Tim for the info. HUh ? You have records from the 60's ? I don't remember the 60's.....which proves I was there !

Right now I'm using my new Dell to access this forum.
Old 09-13-03, 05:49 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

> I don't remember the 60's.....which proves I was there !<
Right on, Larry ... I wish, oh, how I wish, I had kept a diary so I could relive some of those good times now.
Old 09-13-03, 06:25 AM
tfischer

Default Hold on.

Hey, I didn't say I remembered the 60's.

Anybody who remembers the 60's really wasn't there for the good part.

Hell, I can't even remember where I put the Ghinko.
Old 09-13-03, 06:47 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

I have to keep referring to this to remind myself that I really did have hair at one time.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Valentine One rear view mirror