SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Right channel audio not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 02:57 PM
Pene
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right channel audio not working

Hi everyone. I could use some guidance. I recently helped a friend who's audio system was sounding terrible and muffled. Of course it was the foam speaker surrounds that deteriorated.

The new foam surround install went really well, and everything went back together fine except there is absolutely no audio from the right channel. Nothing from the right rear, or any of the three right door speakers. Left side front and rear sounds great, as does the subwoofer. I've checked all speaker harnesses and they appear solid.

Has this happened to anyone? Anywhere I should start looking? I'm just getting ideas right now because I don't have regular access to the car. TIA!

Old 08-18-20, 04:24 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

Did it happen RIGHT AFTER you put the speakers back in? Or did it happen shortly after you put the speakers in?
Old 08-18-20, 05:41 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

Just to be sure, is the balance in center?
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (08-18-20)
Old 08-19-20, 10:15 AM
Pene
Driver School Candidate

DshngDaryl, it may have happened right after I put them back in. I did unplug and replug them, but strange that it is an entire channel and not just one speaker. Problem is that the sound previously was loudest from the driver's door speakers, so not positive on that one, but I think it may have had (low and terrible) output previously.

GmanSC, I've tested balance centered, as well as all the way to left and right. Also, fader front/rear, so I've tested each corner individually. Left front and rear works, right front and rear does not. The subwoofer is tied to both channels, right? It also doesn't output anything with balance set to the right.
Old 08-19-20, 10:19 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It is also possible that a connector was not plugged in or came loose.
Old 08-19-20, 10:51 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

If the left side works, then I would try testing the right side speakers in the left side. This will eliminate whether the speakers are bad.

Then I would take a multi-meter and see if you are getting any kind of power out of the right side speaker wires. If not, then it is probably your car amp.

There are a few (like maybe 3 or 5) fuses in the trunk near wear the amp is located. I would look there and see if any of them are blown. The proper way is to look in the manual and see which fuses control the car stereo or the amp, but unfortunately I do not have my car manual handy.

Does anyone know which fuses control the amp/radio?

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 08-19-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 05:52 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

It turns out there are 7 fuses in the trunk. I think all of them have to do with the Stereo or Nav system.

You can see in BGW's pictures, where they are located. You don't have to take out the carpet to get to them, there is a little access door

Old 08-21-20, 09:58 AM
Pene
Driver School Candidate

Oh wow! Thanks for the info. I searched and found this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...am-2002-a.html
Looks as if fuses 31-37 are in the trunk.
31 license plate light
32 hardtop lock system
33 fuel filler door
34 hardtop lock system
35 quarter window
36 luggage lock
37 luggage lock

Hmmm, these may not be the fuses I'm looking for. Looking through the entire list:
#19 DOME
Interior light, Personal lights, Vanity lights, Foot lights, Ignition switch light, Trunk light, Antenna, Garage door opener system, Audio system
#24 RADIO NO.2
Audio system, Trip- information display, Seat belt warning light, Shift lock system
#29 TV
TV, Navigation system
#47 RADIO NO.1
Audio system

That's a start.
Old 08-23-20, 10:27 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pene
Oh wow! Thanks for the info. I searched and found this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...am-2002-a.html
Looks as if fuses 31-37 are in the trunk.
31 license plate light
32 hardtop lock system
33 fuel filler door
34 hardtop lock system
35 quarter window
36 luggage lock
37 luggage lock

Hmmm, these may not be the fuses I'm looking for.
Dang, I was waaaaaay Off. none of those fuses have to do with the Radio/Amp/Nav.

Sorry about that, but I am glad you found the info you needed. I was hoping there was a listing for a left channel amp and right channel amp, but it doesn't look like there is one.

Old 08-26-20, 01:08 PM
Pene
Driver School Candidate

It works! But I have no idea what fixed it! Car sat for a while (week or two?) and then all the speakers are now magically working. Thanks for everyone's help.

There are several other concerns now. One is that the passenger side door lock now doesn't work right. I broke this white piece when I had the door panel off. I rigged it so that it mostly works, but isn't 100%. Also, the power door lock motor is probably dead on the passenger side, and is dying on the driver side.

Additionally, the back of the passenger seat had fallen off some time in the recent past. I popped it back on, but can't quite figure out exactly how it connects. Got the top two hooks in, but there seems to be two bottom tabs which don't seem to connect to anything. It also almost looks as if it used to be glued on - can see some glue residue at the bottom side.

Final pictures are some before and after of the driver door speakers, plus the mid-range with some blue RTV Silicone gasket stuff as recommended in one of the posts here. Speakers looked fine, but sound was crappy so probably had a hairline split.

Passenger door lock.

Seat back not attached

Blue RTV Silicone gasket seal

Before

After
Old 08-26-20, 02:48 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I bet if u look under the seat, you will find 2 screws
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ack-panel.html
Old 08-26-20, 02:57 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

you can fix your lock actuators yourself, or you can replace them from parts u can get from rockauto.

Both options are written up in this post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...removal-2.html