SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake Assist is Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 08:14 AM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Brake Assist is Awesome!

I just had to post a note on the Brake Assist feature. Has anyone else experienced it?

I did a search on brake assist and didn't find it in any of the old posts in this forum.

I was driving last week, looking out of the side window instead of straight ahead, and when I turned back around I could see that I was about to rear end a Lincoln Navigator that was making a right turn. Exciting, eh?

Well, of course I slammed on the brakes and I felt the brake pedal go out from under my foot, further to the floor. The brake assist feature apparently works by sensing the speed and force used to apply the brakes, and if it senses a panic stop will work in conjunction with the ABS system to stop you even faster.

I was very impressed on how smoothly this function operated. I can't tell you if there was any noise from the brakes since I had the radio turned up, but it felt very smooth. I was leary about this feature when I first heard about it, but am now very happy to have it. I probably would have stopped in time before hitting the Navigator, but it was nice to have some added distance between us when I finally stopped.

Here's a Lexus press release about Brake Assist which also talks about Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) for those of you interested in further reading:

http://www.lexus.com/about/press_rel...ndex_1999.html

My congratulations to Lexus on this great safety feature.

Robert
Old 09-12-03, 10:57 AM
dingo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, pretty neat until you also have a Nav or some other monstrosity on your rear. THEN you learn what its like to have better brakes than the dufus on your tail!

I almost got creamed like that on I95 but the guy behind me managed to veer off onto the shoulder but he got hit by the guy behind him and ditto from the guy behind that guy. Me? Good thing I had some spare tiny whites in my suitcase..

Last edited by dingo; 09-12-03 at 11:19 AM.