SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc 430 spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20 | 03:19 PM
lexus034
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc 430 spoiler

Thinking of putting a spoiler onto the sc430 or a duck tail. However no luck finding pics on google. Has anyone tried this and if so, could you share some details about your findings. Some people might argue about adding anything to the trunk but I kinda like the look of this one sc430 from Pinterest, I’ll attach the photo.
Old 10-02-20 | 03:48 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 357 Posts

No not really.

Dennis
Old 10-02-20 | 04:22 PM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default lose the spoiler...

Actually I'm spending $600 next week to take the damn thing off...I think they're terribly dated, ruin what could be a classic look.
The following users liked this post:
lexus034 (10-02-20)
Old 10-03-20 | 07:56 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

It's got that low rider, gang banger appeal......
Old 10-03-20 | 12:06 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to everyone's taste but someone had to try it. The tail has grown over time and recently reached full maturity

I think Lexus might have sold a lot more to the SC300/400/Soarer community if they had not chosen such an unusual style for the SC430. I'm not convinced that the car has a 'classic' look, I think it was a bit of a departure from the classic style of its era and drew some pretty harsh reviews when it first appeared. My view is that more and more people gradually grew to like or accept the original shape..

lexus034 (10-04-20)
Old 10-03-20 | 03:30 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil E
I'm not convinced that the car has a 'classic' look, I think it was a bit of a departure from the classic style of its era and drew some pretty harsh reviews when it first appeared. My view is that more and more people gradually grew to like or accept the original shape..
I agree. However, in spite of the SC430's odd-duck design, I still wanted one for all the reasons that make it a fantastic GT sports coup. No vehicle is perfect... one can't have it all.

The spoiler and the wheels on the SC in your pics dresses up the design nicely.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilson2000:
Caflashbob (10-11-20), lexus034 (10-04-20), Neil E (10-04-20)
Old 10-04-20 | 02:47 AM
lexus034
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil E
Not to everyone's taste but someone had to try it. The tail has grown over time and recently reached full maturity

I think Lexus might have sold a lot more to the SC300/400/Soarer community if they had not chosen such an unusual style for the SC430. I'm not convinced that the car has a 'classic' look, I think it was a bit of a departure from the classic style of its era and drew some pretty harsh reviews when it first appeared. My view is that more and more people gradually grew to like or accept the original shape..

Hey Neil, how did you go about the spoiler fitment. Did you have someone custom make it or did you order it ?
Old 10-04-20 | 05:15 AM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Some of it is here on another thread. (see below)

The original spoiler came from a Celica and I built it up from that. I don't have the skills but I made it myself and had a body shop finish and re-paint it. There was a prototype then another one that took a long time and then recently I got round to extending it to the size it is today.

There's a huge thread about the car on the UK based Lexus World site with many more pics of the spoiler at different stages. Also a really boring you tube video.. (Now out of date of course)

There surely would not be enough demand for a supplier to produce anything similar as a rear spoiler, most owners prefer to keep things fairly standard. It took me ages but a good shop that works with fibre-glass could probably make you something similar as a custom one off piece.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...m-project.html
lexus034 (10-06-20)
Old 10-11-20 | 08:14 AM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Default 2007 SC sans spoiler...

As previously mentioned I've never liked the factory spoiler so last week I had it removed, the holes filled, and repainted. $600 here in Florida and I think it takes an easy ten years off "the look". At first I thought I'd add a much more modest carbon fibre lip but now not so sure it would be helpful in my intended "update" The logo on back should be swapped out for a black chrome version, as well

Also - where would I find the photos of an SC 430 front - grille, hood, fenders, etc. - that was modified to use the more current Lexus "spindle" style design? I saw it once - a white car, maybe a blue 430 as well but could never find my way back to it. If anyone else recalls this pls send me the link so I can contact the maker and get pricing.

Given this car has a modest 68,000 miles on it, cost me probably $19K, all in two years ago, I'd be OK with some updates while I consider perhaps one of the new Lexus roadsters, though at $100K it would be a stretch given I live in a condo without secure parking

Spoilerless 2007

2007 with spoiler removed
JTho (10-12-20)
Old 10-11-20 | 08:51 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemisphere

Also - where would I find the photos of an SC 430 front - grille, hood, fenders, etc. - that was modified to use the more current Lexus "spindle" style design? I saw it once - a white car, maybe a blue 430 as well but could never find my way back to it. If anyone else recalls this pls send me the link so I can contact the maker and get pricing.
The grills were custom made by the owners. I would love to have one also (Depending on price) so if you have one made, I'd love to hear the details.

I think the grills came off a 2014 Fsport and were molded into the 430 bumper cover.

Old 10-11-20 | 10:28 AM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Many thanks for the quick response re adding "spindle grill" to an SC 430. So you think everything below actual 430 hood is stock and the IS F Sport element is basically inserted and "blended" into the existing SC front? If so a competent body shop - or customizer perhaps being more adventurous - should be able to pull this together, no? Let's continue to compare research efforts toward this possibilty
Old 10-11-20 | 12:40 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

My guess is they took a bumper cover off each car and then cut and spliced them together. I was driving through one of Phoenix's suburbs a couple of months ago and I saw a bumper cover repair shop. I think if one of those are in your city, they may just be the best people to make you one.

Old 10-12-20 | 10:42 PM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, I kind of like that clean look! If you have a photo sideview a bit further away, would love to see it. Looks nice. I assume you are quite happy with it!
Old 10-13-20 | 10:58 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JTho
Wow, I kind of like that clean look! If you have a photo sideview a bit further away, would love to see it. Looks nice. I assume you are quite happy with it!
These are just pictures I found on the internet.. Not my car

Old 10-13-20 | 04:07 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

The kit is actually similar to mine but with the spindle grill cleverly grafted into the front bumper/fender.

Quick Reply: Sc 430 spoiler