SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bad Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 10:12 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Camshaft Position Sensor

Hello everybody. Today I started my 2006 SC430 (81K miles) and got check engine, VSC and VSC OFF lights. I wasn't able to turn off VSC OFF light with the VSC button. The code reader gave me P0335, P0340, P0345 and P1340. I searched these codes on google. It seems I have a problem with Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP). Do you have any guidance replacing this sensor? How difficult to do it on SC430 and where is this sensor located? Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 10-04-20, 05:44 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

The P0335 is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The P0340 is the Bank 1 (left) Camshaft Position Sensor and the P0345 is the Bank 2 (right) Camshaft Position Sensor. We are talking about 3 different sensors. There are two Camshaft Position Sensors so I'm thinking some more troubleshooting is required before replacing anything. The SC430 Service manual has detailed testing for each of these sensors. Has any work been performed on your SC recently?
Old 10-04-20, 10:17 AM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

Thank you for your comments. I only replaced alternator about 9 months ago, so to answer your question - no work on the car recently. Unfortunately I don't have 2006 SC430 Repair Manual. It is highly unlikely that all 3 sensor are not good. I will go to Autozone to check codes there (the car is running okay). Maybe they have more sophisticated code reader. It seems the Crankshaft Position Sensor is quite difficult to replace. Not sure about the two Camshaft Position Sensors...
Old 10-04-20, 10:44 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

The Service Manual I have is for a 2003. I don't think that area of the engine changed much on your 2006 but you never know. All three sensors are deep in the engine, under the Timing Belt #1, 2 & 3 covers at the front of the engine.. All are visible / accessible when doing a timing belt replacement. The Camshaft Position Sensors would be easier to replace, if needed. Maybe someone with the 2006 Service Manual can provide additional troubleshooting info.

Old 10-04-20, 02:00 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

Started the car this morning - there are no lights. I was pleasantly surprised but still worry about it. I erased all four codes. My plan is to wait and see if the engine light will come back and then I will read codes again. Also I searched for the PDF repair manual but could not find it for the SC430. It will be desirable to define the bad sensor now if this is the case, because I am going to do timing belt shortly. I meant to do it at Toyota or Lexus dealership. Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.
Old 10-05-20, 11:51 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLDSc300
. I meant to do it at Toyota or Lexus dealership. Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.
If you are willing to go with a non dealer, I found the best Lexus mechanic last week. He changed my timing belt. The labor was only $240 and I supplied the parts (I was going to do it myself, so I bought all the parts beforehand)
Ha's Auto, 707 W Mission Lane, Phoenix. (602) 944-1885

You definitely won't get the "Dealer Experience" with Loaner cars/Doughnuts but you will get an excellent job at an affordable price.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/has-auto-repair-phoenix
The following users liked this post:
GOLDSc300 (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 12:51 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Check your fully-charged battery voltage at rest. It should be at 12.6V or above. While running, it should be around 13-14V depending on engine speed. Several posters have seen your symptoms/codes due to a bad battery or alternator.
Old 10-05-20, 03:54 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

Thank you for your comments. It is very interesting information about a bad battery or alternator. I did not mention in my first post that a day before I got those lights/codes my wife could not start the car because the batter was discarded. I charged the battery, started the engine and got all those lights/codes. My car drains batteries very fast because I have a lot of after market equipments such as 16 wheelers horn (see the pic.), huge amplifier, radar, etc. My point is that it was not the first time when the battery is discharged, charged back to the normal condition to start the engine but I have never experienced any warning lights or codes .
Thank you for the info about timing belt replacement. It is defiantly attempting to save money by not going to a dealership... Bell Lexus wants $1350 and Toyota $1200 for timing belt and water pump.
Old 10-05-20, 06:37 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

DshngDaryl, thanks again for the info. I called the Ha's Auto. Mr. Ha will charge $240 for timing belt job which sounds very reasonable to me. What timing belt/water pump would you recommend? Did you purchase your timing belt kit on ebay?
Old 10-05-20, 07:57 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 556 Likes on 423 Posts

DshngDaryl, thanks again for the info. I called the Ha's Auto. Mr. Ha will charge $240 for timing belt job which sounds very reasonable to me. What timing belt/water pump would you recommend? Did you purchase your timing belt kit on ebay?
Whoa, my mechanic charged $350.00 for labor, I thought that was cheap. I ordered the Aisin-021 from Amazon. My total cost was less than $550.00.
Old 10-06-20, 09:49 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Thank you for your comments. It is very interesting information about a bad battery or alternator. I did not mention in my first post that a day before I got those lights/codes my wife could not start the car because the batter was discarded. I charged the battery, started the engine and got all those lights/codes. My car drains batteries very fast because I have a lot of after market equipments such as 16 wheelers horn (see the pic.), huge amplifier, radar, etc. My point is that it was not the first time when the battery is discharged, charged back to the normal condition to start the engine but I have never experienced any warning lights or codes .
You should consider getting an AGM battery for your car. Since I put one in my SC, I can leave it for three or four weeks (alarm off) and still get in and start it up.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 10-06-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 09:57 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Another reason I like Mr. Ha is that he only uses Dealer Parts or dealer equivalent parts. He was ok using the Aisin kit I had bought from Rock Auto, but he encouraged me to get Toyota Hoses and thermostat..

Here is the Aisin Kit I used off Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Here is a post about other things you can consider replacing at the same time, since they have to come out of the car anyways:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-belt-job.html
Old 10-06-20, 03:47 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

I have never heard about an AGM battery. My existing battery is only 1.5 years old but my next battery will be an AGM battery for sure. Thanks for the good suggestion.
Old 10-06-20, 05:39 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I have never heard about an AGM battery. My existing battery is only 1.5 years old but my next battery will be an AGM battery for sure. Thanks for the good suggestion.
AGM is the way to go. As a technology AGM has several advantages to a flooded battery. Here is a webpage about it.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm

Here you can see the cost is slightly higher than a flooded battery, but not too much higher.
https://www.pepboys.com/car-batterie...%204.3L%20DOHC
Old 10-09-20, 09:45 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
AGM is the way to go. As a technology AGM has several advantages to a flooded battery.
I have AMG batteries in three of five vehicles, but not in my SC (yet). While they have several advantages, they also have a few disadvantages, starting with $$$$. They are also hard to charge once completely drained. I've been told I need to buy a special charger with an AMG setting, but I have resisted so far and gotten bye with my regular charger. When I first got my SC, I installed a high-end Interstate, wet cell battery and it hasn't let me down in almost five years now.

Quick Reply: Bad Camshaft Position Sensor