SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navinks vs. Navtool. Your choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 09:43 AM
cjinthesky
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Navinks vs. Navtool. Your choice?

Anything stand out on either units? Goal: Rearview Camera. 2nd goal: screen mirror telephone display to Lexus nav screen.

After returning an Alpine iLX-W650 to Crutchfield (unit does not play nice with some Android phones; Crutchfield is highly recommended), I still have the rear camera in place and wish to use it on OEM navigation screen. OEM radio unit is now back in place. Audio is fed from smartphone to OEM radio via Bluetooth FM transmitter (in center console--works fine!), so I do not need AUX audio input. .

I do not need DVD player, front camera or other such choices, but I would like to see smartphone display on OEM navigation screen to be able to use Waze on the rare occasions when I get 'directionally challenged'.

I would use smartphone for controlling phone calls, map search, SiriusXM (via streaming instead of satellite) etc.

I've read many posts in this forum about installation and troubleshooting and feel confident about hooking up the rearview camera (which worked fine on the Alpine screen) into the Lexus nav module in the trunk. I've not found much on screen mirroring with the OEM nav screen.

Do you have a preference between the products? What input can you offer about screen mirroring and what is needed as far as installation behind dashboard? I might do only the camera link, if screen mirroring is a pain.

thanks!

2003 SC430
cjinthesky
Old 10-08-20, 01:49 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Something like this ?
Old 10-08-20, 08:47 PM
cjinthesky
Driver

Well, yes. Although I'm fine with an actual repetition of what's on the smartphone. I see your AUX setting on the head unit; what's going on here? :-)
Old 10-12-20, 07:23 AM
cjinthesky
Driver

Default Follow up

Hey there! Any input about my question? Thanks! CJ
Old 10-12-20, 10:19 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Digitatc probably has a VAIS. I believe that he did a write up on his system.
Old 10-12-20, 04:26 PM
digitatc
Instructor

I have Naviks in the trunk. Long extension of the HDMI input to the middle console and connect to my iPhone lightning port - HDMI adapter (for waze/google maps)
For the Aux you see on the head unit, it's actually Bluetooth via USASPEC BT45-TOY. As Harold mentions above, I did a write up on that if you are interested in a little bit of fun.
My ODBII reader is connect to an old phone just to display/run Torque Pro.
There is no point of buying the Android auto or Apple carplay from either Naviks or Navtool due to the cost. You might as well replace the entire system with the same amount of money.
Old 10-12-20, 09:11 PM
cjinthesky
Driver

Interesting! Thanks for the reply, digitatc. I'm sure I read your write-up; I went through a lot of good ones when I was researching.

I just saw that Amazon's Echo Auto device is $20 for Prime Day, so I'll give that a shot to get some hands free capability. That was lacking and part of my disappointment with the Alpine head unit I tried.

And I'll obtain rear camera interface via Naviks / Navtool. Too bad there's not a cheaper option for single video sourcing.

cheers!
cj
Old 10-12-20, 11:06 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Originally Posted by cjinthesky
Interesting! Thanks for the reply, digitatc. I'm sure I read your write-up; I went through a lot of good ones when I was researching.

I just saw that Amazon's Echo Auto device is $20 for Prime Day, so I'll give that a shot to get some hands free capability. That was lacking and part of my disappointment with the Alpine head unit I tried.

And I'll obtain rear camera interface via Naviks / Navtool. Too bad there's not a cheaper option for single video sourcing.

cheers!
cj
How are you going to connect that Echo Auto without an AUX input?

​​​​​​If you just want backup camera, there is an option for about $30-$40 as well. Just search for it.

​​​​
Old 10-13-20, 07:55 AM
cjinthesky
Driver

Amazon Auto====> Bluetooth FM transmitter.
Despite diligent searching I could not find a $30-40 option for single video interface for b/u camera....
Old 10-13-20, 02:02 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Amazon Auto====> Bluetooth FM transmitter.
Despite diligent searching I could not find a $30-40 option for single video interface for b/u camera....
Ahh, got it. Sound won't be that great though. Can you just use the phone then ?

Here is the post that I mentioned. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10695872
Old 10-13-20, 02:17 PM
cjinthesky
Driver

Thanks for that link; looks like it was indeed discontinued but I'm looking around the interweb. And finding a lot of nada...

Yes, audio quality takes a hit with the FM device.

As far as just using the phone I could not get iphone to do voice command for siriusXM app. And I bought the iphone SE (admittedly on a good deal) only because the Android I had would not be recognized at all by the Alpine iLX-W650.

I'm reading that Echo Auto is pretty quirky, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-20, 02:41 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Try Alexa on your iPhone first before spending that $20. Or grab one of the old Echo Dot and test it out.
The following users liked this post:
cjinthesky (10-13-20)
Old 10-13-20, 05:11 PM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for that link; looks like it was indeed discontinued but I'm looking around the interweb. And finding a lot of nada...

Yes, audio quality takes a hit with the FM device.

As far as just using the phone I could not get iphone to do voice command for siriusXM app. And I bought the iphone SE (admittedly on a good deal) only because the Android I had would not be recognized at all by the Alpine iLX-W650.

I'm reading that Echo Auto is pretty quirky, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks again!
I’m using an Amazon auto in my GX 470 and SC 430 and it works great. I installed a USA spec Bluetooth device in the GX and a GTA car kit Bluetooth device in the SC. The Amazon auto connects through Bluetooth to each device when I enter the car. I read reviews about the “quirkiness” of the Amazon auto, but it has work great for me. I have a bunch of things connected to my Echo at home, so it’s pretty cool to tell Alexa to turn my pool spa on to heat up while I’m on the way home from work using the Amazon auto and it’s hot when I get home. For $20 it’s worth a try for sure.
Old 10-13-20, 07:05 PM
cjinthesky
Driver

Excellent! Thanks for the input! The item already arrived; I'll try it out.
Sadly I have no hot tub to pre-warm... :-)
Too bad Echo Auto would drain battery if we wanted to leave it on in Away Mode to monitor glass breakage...

BTW, I purchased a NavTool interface for $176.00 using a 20% off coupon on the website.
Old 10-14-20, 09:23 AM
2006SC430
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent! Thanks for the input! The item already arrived; I'll try it out.
Sadly I have no hot tub to pre-warm... :-)
Too bad Echo Auto would drain battery if we wanted to leave it on in Away Mode to monitor glass breakage...

BTW, I purchased a NavTool interface for $176.00 using a 20% off coupon on the website.

Replace NAV with BT Android head unit and connect via high quality RCA cable to VAIS. The sound quality is top-notch ... especially with premium Spotify.

The following users liked this post:
cjinthesky (10-14-20)