SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why Resale value is horrible on the SC430

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-03, 03:35 PM
flatfoot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ELP-JC
My sentiments exactly! Every car is a compromise. I have had MB, Corvette,Audi, and Jag and they were all great cars. Right now I'm enjoying my SC. There is no perfect car out there. You must drive what feels right for you at the time. When the car ceases to reward you, then it's time to get out of it.. Life is short, and you're gonna be dead a long time. I've always enjoyed the "hunt" for the next car. Prior to my purchase of my SC, I looked at and drove the Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio and the XKR. Both were quicker than the Lexus but I just enjoyed the Lexus more. They both were noisier and rode rougher than the Lexus and both were more expensive by far. My research showed Lexus resale was on a par with the others.

Ceboyd, enjoy your hunt for the perfect car. There is no such thing ,but it's always fun looking. The trouble with car freaks is that they want almost every car on the road. I know, because I'm one of them. If I ever hit the lottery, I would have a garage like Jay Leno..

Happy motoring to all.

Flatfoot
Old 09-16-03, 04:38 PM
Leslie Cra
Driver School Candidate

Of all the forums I have read on this site this one has been the most interesting read to date.

I think the comment about about maybe coming back to the SC430 in 20 or 30 years is a little over the top; not to mention disrespectful. What type of car one drives is a matter of choice and affordability, not age.

My feeling about this SC430 vs. Porsche, BMW, etc., etc. stuff is that it's not how fast one goes or can go, but how good one looks when they get there.

An observation. I've read so many put-downs about types of cars, wheels, modifications, tires, etc. on this site that it's beginning to sound a little elitist here because we can afford to drive and customize $60K+ cars. [I say this knowing that no one here believes that they're better than the next person because they can afford to drive high-end cars.]

Humility counts even more when you drive a fancy car, considering that there are more people in the U.S. who are walking because they cannot afford cars, let alone even shoes. So, lets keep up with providing advice about dealers, mechanics, how to fix problems, etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-03, 04:52 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dear Flatfoot,

MARRY ME !! I LOVE YOU !! I think I found a soulmate !!
Old 09-16-03, 05:09 PM
flatfoot
Driver

Larry?
Already married and this one is a keeper. She never bugs me about buying cars.Thanks anyway,
Flatfoot
Old 09-16-03, 05:35 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about adopting me as a son ?

Actually, I've been into cars since I was 9. My wife can't see what the "big deal" is.
Old 09-16-03, 05:58 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Leslie Cra
Of all the forums I have read on this site this one has been the most interesting read to date.

I think the comment about about maybe coming back to the SC430 in 20 or 30 years is a little over the top; not to mention disrespectful. What type of car one drives is a matter of choice and affordability, not age.

My feeling about this SC430 vs. Porsche, BMW, etc., etc. stuff is that it's not how fast one goes or can go, but how good one looks when they get there.

An observation. I've read so many put-downs about types of cars, wheels, modifications, tires, etc. on this site that it's beginning to sound a little elitist here because we can afford to drive and customize $60K+ cars. [I say this knowing that no one here believes that they're better than the next person because they can afford to drive high-end cars.]

Humility counts even more when you drive a fancy car, considering that there are more people in the U.S. who are walking because they cannot afford cars, let alone even shoes. So, lets keep up with providing advice about dealers, mechanics, how to fix problems, etc.

Thanks!
I meant no 'disrespect' by saying I might want to come back to Lexus when I am 50 or 60 years old.... just that what one wants in a car changes as we get older... and I might want that 'relaxing' opulance with not as much driver input when I am older...

Sorry if I offended anyone in that comment about perhaps coming back to Lexus later in life..

Yes, I totally agree that the quest for the perfect car is impossible and endless...

...and I am fortunate enough to be able to change cars every couple of years as I keep trying

I'd have that big garage like Leno too if I could afford it

....oh, and the SC430 would be in that garage too...

As I said, I will indeed miss that stereo (best I ever had in a car) and that fit and finish and interior was fantastic too.... ...just that the other desires started to outweigh it... and I am just going nuts not being able to shift so my next car will be a stick for sure
Old 09-16-03, 08:10 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

First I want to thank Leslie Cra on her comments...humility is a key! Since I am planning to soon own my first SC430 ( probably an '02 ) I thought I would share why. First, a car is not an investment because we should make investments with growth and profit in mind. A car, most any car most can afford, is a depreciating asset. As soon as those 4 runflats leave the dealership and hit the street you just blew 10% + ( I have been a part of that category ) which is why I decided to purchase an '02 with single digit miles for low $50's. Nothing wrong with having it new but at this time in my life I like saving 20% and still have over two years of factory warranty with low miles. Did you know that many of the first owners of the new SC actually paid around $70,000?

Ceboyd, I wish you the best! Could you PM me with your local newspaper so I can purchase one of those cars in the $40's that you mentioned? Stay away from the dealer trade and advertise on cars.com because there are other markets where prices are much higher than your area. I have been tracking the market on the SC for two months as my lease was near and I am finding that the same '02 will go for 8% higher/lower. I am in the Tampa market but just go south to Ft. Myers and you can add 8%.

I am holding out for Indigo Blue with saddle. Can't tell you all how much I have enjoyed being a part of this forum ( without yet owning what I already believe will be the best automobile of my life ). Hope I can post pictures in the near future.

Thanks for all the great information!
Old 09-17-03, 06:57 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Check out the chicago Tribune or local Auto Trader or even Tradin Times.... Chicago Sun Times has stuff too... (www.chicagotribune.com)

Yes, I see even by the sales prices on Ebay that Florida seems to hold the highest resale value... go figure!

You can also give a call to Lexus of Highland Park at 847-432-1900 or Lexus of Glenview to see what they have in stock (847-729-6000 for Glenview)
Old 09-17-03, 07:03 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Leslie Cra

As a car nut since age 4, I want to make it clear that I am not about ' how I look when I get there ' when it comes to a car.... I have never been about keeping up with the jones...

For me, It is all about how the car feels to me and how it appeals to me... I really don't care what others think... I don't go to 'shows' with my car like others... I don't keep it a garage queen like others.... I buy my cars to drive and enjoy...

In the winter, I drive a cheap but fun to drive car.... One winter I drove a $500 piece of crap car with rust everywhere and dents everywhere that I never even locked (locks didn't work anyway) and I got so much grief about what an eyesore it was at work and in my neighborhood.... I didn't care about how I looked in that car or what image it projected just like I don't care about the folks who laugh and say I own a glorified VW when I pull up in my 911.

I find most people are not into cars like I am..... so I tend to keep my car craziness to myself most of the time and just enjoy my drive
Old 09-17-03, 10:49 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

Damn i was off yesterday and missed this discussion. I appraise cars all day long and 46-47 is about right for a nice sc430 in my neck of the woods and the Boxster S would be 35-36 in my area regardless of equipment. Then a few days ago I read this http://edmunds.com/reviews/list/top1.../article.html.
Old 09-17-03, 10:51 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

what was that article? It said 'file not found' when I tried the link?????
Old 09-17-03, 11:22 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Take the last period of the link (in the address bar when page shows bad link just backspace off the period and hit enter).
Old 09-17-03, 11:42 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by golfkwesi
First I want to thank Leslie Cra on her comments...humility is a key! Since I am planning to soon own my first SC430 ( probably an '02 ) I thought I would share why. First, a car is not an investment because we should make investments with growth and profit in mind. A car, most any car most can afford, is a depreciating asset. As soon as those 4 runflats leave the dealership and hit the street you just blew 10% + ( I have been a part of that category ) which is why I decided to purchase an '02 with single digit miles for low $50's. Nothing wrong with having it new but at this time in my life I like saving 20% and still have over two years of factory warranty with low miles. Did you know that many of the first owners of the new SC actually paid around $70,000?

I am holding out for Indigo Blue with saddle. Can't tell you all how much I have enjoyed being a part of this forum ( without yet owning what I already believe will be the best automobile of my life ). Hope I can post pictures in the near future.

Thanks for all the great information!
Do you plan on buying or leasing your '02 SC430? My wife and I are also holding out for Indigo Ink Pearl , but with black interior....wish us luck! Who am I kidding....she wants kids within the next two years, so we may just end up getting an LX!
Old 09-17-03, 02:01 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Jayson,

After leasing my last three cars I have decided to purchase the '02 SC because I plan to keep it for at least six years. I have found several Blue/Black '02's on either www.autotrader.com or cars.com.

Michael
Old 09-17-03, 02:12 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

yes,ln hindsight.. I should have done a 2 year lease... especially since I only had 16K miles on it after 2 years.. DOH...

oh well... such is life....

Quick Reply: Why Resale value is horrible on the SC430