SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why Resale value is horrible on the SC430

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 03:03 PM
flatfoot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, already have a son. Thanks again. If your wife is bustin your chops about buying cars, then you may need a new wife! I have also been a car freak since I was about 8 or 9. My dad always took me to the NY auto show every year. I would come home with about 100 lbs. of brochuers and read them over and over untill I memorized all the spec of all the cars.

Ceboyd, best of luck with your Boxster S. That is a great driver's car and a wonderful choice. Post a pic!

Flatfoot
Old 09-21-03, 07:53 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Also a car freak with the track record to prove it...

'99 SC300 (purchased used)- 4 months
'00 330Ci- 4 months
'01 GS300- 9 months
'02 A6 4.2- 8 months
'03 SC430- 14 months
'04 G35- ???

Maybe that means that the SC430 has been able to keep my attention the longest... or maybe I'm actually starting to beat my addiction! Larry and Flatfoot, there could be hope with therapy (but who wants to change?!) Wow! I feel so much better now!

I also know a little bit about depreciation, and I don't think it really matters which brand we're discussing. It has everything to do with DEMAND for that particular model. The bottom line is that demand has cooled for the SC430 because the market for sport coupes (even droptops) is very fickle. Even though it is a wonderful car, It is no longer the "newest thing". Just my Two Cents.
Old 09-21-03, 07:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I like my SC400 Lexus had a monster of a car (SC400) that still thrashes some others today, but when they started to make it "pretty" (SC430) they left out a few good things the 400 had on it. i have never heard the 400 be called boring, ever. The 430 was a nice ride to be in when i took a test drive a few months back. the new engine had a lot of pep to it, but the car's driving experience was rocking to "Hall & Oat's" while my 400 was burning down the road to "ZZ Top" . i definately felt they took the ***** out of the car's overall feel and decided that the 430 was an exceptionally nice ride with lot's of great points, but i just didn't "feel it" while driving.

I decided to keep my 400 for a few more years until i see what is coming next from lexus. i like the 430, it's breathtaking to look at, but somewhat on the retirement plan in the overall attitude of the car during my personal test drive experience. My 400 gives me a more raw adrenaline rush. A litle less comfy, a little more fun to "ME" in my opinion only.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-21-03 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 07:00 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I bought the SC430 without a test drive (first time ever I did that)... and I won't be doing that again... serves me right for buying it when they were too hot to allow test drives.. LOL

Although in all honesty, I probably would have bought it anyway... I kept it 23 months and 2 weeks (almost 2 years) so that is pretty darn good for me considering I usually last less than a year in a car (LOL)

My shortest owned car was 2 months... and longest was 7 years (I still can't believe I kept a car for 7 years.. go figure)
Old 09-24-03, 02:39 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by ceboyd
Yes, I bought the SC430 without a test drive (first time ever I did that)... and I won't be doing that again... serves me right for buying it when they were too hot to allow test drives.. LOL

Although in all honesty, I probably would have bought it anyway... I kept it 23 months and 2 weeks (almost 2 years) so that is pretty darn good for me considering I usually last less than a year in a car (LOL)

My shortest owned car was 2 months... and longest was 7 years (I still can't believe I kept a car for 7 years.. go figure)
Dare we even ask what the year/make/model was of the 2 month owned car?
Old 09-25-03, 07:32 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Jayson
Dare we even ask what the year/make/model was of the 2 month owned car?
Sure, It was a white 1990 Toyota Celica 5-speed
Old 10-15-03, 11:12 AM
Eusebio
Driver School Candidate

Default Top 10 Cars With the Best Residual Value for 2003

Top 10 Cars With the Best Residual Value for 2003
By Edmunds.com Editors
Date Posted 05-07-2003
The percentage following the car is the total amount of depreciation that takes place based on five years and 15,000 miles per year. The smaller the number, the better. Keep in mind that the depreciation percentages are based on the national TMV price plus typical options plus destination charge.
1. BMW Z8 — 45.86%
2. Mercedes-Benz CLK — 45.96%
3. Mini Cooper — 46.68%
4. Porsche 911 — 46.91%
5. Porsche Boxster — 47.42%
6. Lexus SC 430 — 47.49%
7. Acura TL — 47.68%
8. Honda S2000 — 47.93%
9. Dodge Viper — 48.00%
10. Lexus GS 300 — 48.34%
Old 10-15-03, 12:07 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

5 year value is worthless when you only keep the car 2 years... DOH!

but it's nice to see my Boxster is above the sc430 on the list At this point, I plan to keep it at least 5 years...
Old 10-15-03, 12:15 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Enough already!!!! Go drive your Porsche and be happy!!!!! Furthermore, we don't buy cars like this for an investment. We bought it for fun. I don't care what it's worth in five years. Yeah, that 7/100 of 1 percent makes all the difference in the world. Way to go!!!
Old 10-15-03, 12:49 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Plus, it seems these figures would completely refute your theory of "Why resale is horrible on the SC 430" that started this thread. I didn't see the Boxster S on the list anywhere?!?!!
Old 10-15-03, 02:14 PM
BigHat
Driver School Candidate

Default CE: Don't go away mad

Just go away

Edit: Sorry, this was meant in humor and it isn't likely to be received that way. My bad.

Last edited by BigHat; 10-16-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 06:40 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

How can they accurately estimate a 5 year total depreciation % only 2.5 years after a model's introduction? How can you project out the latter 2.5 years accurately? (WITHIN 2 DECIMAL POINTS, MIND YOU!)

Who knows what assumptions were used. It all sounds like BS to me.

Last edited by Gekko; 10-15-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-16-03, 01:44 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Chris, I'll have to agree with Doc C. You need to just go drive your Boxster and be done with it. I'm as happy for you as the next guy, but this is a Lexus forum. I'm certainly interested in hearing about the Boxster... but not how much better it is than the SC.

I also traded my SC430 because I wanted to feel a little more connected, but there are no "sour grapes" on my part. It was a great car, and Lexus gave me an outstanding trade-in value considering I put 15,000 miles on it in 1 year... plus they took $5,000 off sticker on my GS300SD, so I have absolutely no complaints about depreciation, etc. Expensive cars have high depreciation. And even though there are some things that I actually like BETTER about the GS3, I don't think most SC430 really care to hear them.

Like you, I may reconsider a car like this when I'm a little older and/or live in a more rural area where I can really enjoy top-down driving away from the rat race. This just wasn't the right car for me right now. However, it IS the right car for many people on this forum, so just drop it. We've all come to respect your opinion in this forum. Don't blow it.
Old 10-16-03, 02:47 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a much more favorable trade in if I stayed with Lexus... but alas.. it wasn't meant to be...

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything but I guess I fell for the line from my sales guy about how great the SC430 resale is gonna be.. ....In hindsite, I simply should have leased instead and would have been much happier...

My recommendation to anyone who only wants to keep the SC430 for 2 years is to lease... because I took a $25K hit and it hurt! (although I've been told the lease would have cost me just as much??) In comparison, I took a $10K hit on my former 2 year old Z3.

The car gave me ZERO problems... which was great because my former Z3 gave me all sorts of electrical glitch issues after the 1st year of ownership...

I hope my Boxster will be as trouble free the 1st 2 years as my SC430 is but I honestly won't be suprised if an issue arrises... After all, I have prior experience with German cars.. LOL

So long folks... and do enjoy your SC430 folks ...don't savor them but drive them... more mileage doesn't seem to affect resale at all... I was told I would have gotten the same $ value for anything between 6K miles and 26K miles... go figure....

SO especially enjoy that sound system... it is the one thing I do miss at times

...maybe I'll be back if they build a more sporty stick version later

Old 10-16-03, 11:54 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Good luck ceboyd. I've always enjoyed reading your input in this forum. I love my SC and have no intention of selling it but that doesn't mean I haven't looked at the Boxters driving by and wondered. I'm happy with my choice, and wish you the best with yours.

Last edited by RodF; 10-16-03 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Why Resale value is horrible on the SC430