SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

odd nav radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20 | 01:21 PM
kosmo101
Rookie

Default odd nav radio

Picked up an 02.. radio was replaced with a pioneer unit. Im not understanding what is happening here. First, i see the lexus logo on the LCD screen when i start up but you never see more than that. Radio works ok. Im trying to get the navigation and buttons to work but the LCD on the factory screen is blank after the initial lexus logo. I wouldnt think the screen is bad if i see the logo..but maybe something was done when they did the install meaning they cut off the screenworking? Also neither the nav screen nor radio now have the woodgrain cover. I assume i can get this from a wrecked one? thanks!
Old 10-26-20 | 04:34 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Check the DVD in the trunk. May be you don’t have a disk in it.
Old 10-26-20 | 05:34 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I don't know if this is your problem, but it is worth a try.

Originally Posted by Habious

You unplugged the power to the nav system so, it's basically "off" when you turn the car on the next time. Hitting the "Map/Voice" button turns it back on.
Old 10-27-20 | 05:56 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

cool thanks.. i will try these things. the screen looks a bit iffy but as mentioned it does show the lexus logo on startup and the door does open when you start the car. sure appreciate the help!
Old 10-27-20 | 10:46 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

so i checked.. dvd is in the player in back. the screen comes on only if you hit the information button..but shows nothing. its like its not getting any info at all. Any thoughts?
Im going to try to listen to see if the dvd player is making any noises.. like maybe its dead?

Last edited by kosmo101; 10-27-20 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-27-20 | 03:42 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Take a look at this post. It will explain a little more about the NAV screen. Also it will tell you about the diagnostic mode.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...acement-2.html

Is your door completely missing, or is it just always open?
Old 10-27-20 | 03:44 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Also, many times when people replace their factory radio, they have the new radio mirror on the top screen. Or they do something like use it for a rear view camera. Do you think any of those things are happening?
Take a look at some of these other posts about pioneer radio installations
https://www.google.com/search?q=club...w=1920&bih=910

Does you new radio work?

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 10-27-20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-27-20 | 04:24 PM
kosmo101
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Also, many times when people replace their factory radio, they have the new radio mirror on the top screen. Or they do something like use it for a rear view camera. Do you think any of those things are happening?
Take a look at some of these other posts about pioneer radio installations
https://www.google.com/search?q=club...w=1920&bih=910

Does you new radio work?
yes.. so weird. So only the info and display buttons beep. No other buttons beep nor do anything. New radio works but no navigation on it. Im assuming that something was done when new radio was put in. Wonder if the nav was bad or something or they just jacked things up. Im trying to get in touch with previous owner. I have a receipt from 2018 radio install. I doubt the shop would recall what they did. Maybe I just need to bring to a stereo shop? I dont get why the diagnostic screen won't even come up or any info on the car itself.

I.just want nav on the top screen and the new radio. Not sure what to do.. replace nav ecu? Try another disc? Pull apart the front and see whats what?

Last edited by kosmo101; 10-27-20 at 04:26 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-27-20 | 05:48 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

watch this poorly filmed video and see if you can get in the self check menu
Old 10-27-20 | 06:58 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

If your pioneer head unit was installed with a beat sonic harness it might be in video mode...press your mode button and see if nav screen changes to nav mode....good luck..
Old 10-28-20 | 05:44 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
watch this poorly filmed video and see if you can get in the self check menu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGS_ybEMvMI
Problem is i dont get the caution screen, the NAV map screen at all. It is like it doesnt exist. i can hit display and try the top left/bottom left thing 4x and nothing. also tried the hold info and hit the lights on/off 3x. nothing.
I took apart the rear carpet area. dvd seems to go in and out as expected and i do hear some like noise like it is trying to read the dvd. There is some computer box to the left of the dvd player and a box on top of the dvd player. what are those? im reading and thinking maybe the NAV unit is bad..but not sure which unit that is? Anyone know what parts make up the nav system ..i know there is the player and antenna under dash. and the amplifier on top of the dvd player. Anything else? I see the Mark Levionson amp behind the dvd player. But wanted to know what the other boxes are. I will check connections today back there.

What is also odd is the open/close feature of the lcd screen works only sometimes. Also the info/display buttons work sometimes as well. Im hoping to not have to pull it all apart to see what was done when radio installed.

Last edited by kosmo101; 10-28-20 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-28-20 | 10:01 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Read this post. It is not all about the nav, but a lot of it is. Especially read post #17 and watch the video. It will show you how to take out the NAV display to see if everything is hooked up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...acement-3.html
Old 10-28-20 | 10:57 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

will do.. thank you. i cannot get any diagnostic screen or really any screen to come up for that matter except the blank info screen and a display screen.

do your buttons beep when you click like menu, map, etc?

Old 10-28-20 | 04:47 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Remove the radio then remove the Nav unit, check all connection. Since the ML was replaced, you must have some kind of interface unit. May be the interface unit is the problem.
Old 10-28-20 | 05:01 PM
kosmo101
Rookie

Popped out the climate control. Weird..the open close buttons work like 50 percent of the time. The door for the radio i see is there i noticed. But it doesn't work. I press button and nothing happens.

Now none of the map to close buttons work at all. All the climate stuff works and roof. Could the climate unit be bad or do those buttons somehow interact with the radio? My gut is telling me they screwed up this radio install. I.will pull it all apart this weekend. Just didn't want to go ahead and order all kinds of parts. Thanks

Quick Reply: odd nav radio