SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nav screen and DVD unit upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 07:27 AM
Roger480
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nav screen and DVD unit upgrade.

I have 2003. The Nav screen is displaying error codes from the dvd unit which I can't fix. I want to replace the OEM screen unit with a Garmin GPS unit(model having video input for back up camera) and completely disconnect/remove the dvd unit. The radio and ML amp work fine so I want to keep them. Has anyone done something like this. Will the radio and amp still work ok if I just disconnect the harness from the dvd unit and the screen unit?
Old 10-29-20, 10:20 AM
bmanone
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

@Roger480,
I put the Garmin GPS unit in mine and removed the DVD unit in the rear. The screen closes and opens just like the original and the ML head unit works great.
Old 10-29-20, 10:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Removal of the NAV unit from the headunit should not create any issues on a 2003.

bmanone, could you post some pictures of your installation?
Old 10-29-20, 01:33 PM
bmanone
Pit Crew

Here are 3 pictures I just took of the Garmin installed, I didn't photo document my installation:

The following 2 users liked this post by bmanone:
Harold57 (10-30-20), sc4tlc (10-30-20)
Old 10-30-20, 04:01 PM
sc4tlc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmanone
Here are 3 pictures I just took of the Garmin installed, I didn't photo document my installation:

Looks good.
Old 10-30-20, 06:11 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

Just curious, how does it effect the control of the old Nav? How’s the wiring? Add and remove any harnesses?
Old 10-30-20, 07:10 PM
kosmo101
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@bmanone Could you tell us the exact garmin unit you used? My NAV is not working not sure what previous owner did but wonder if he eliminated the ML amp. The open/close button does not work on mine..odd.

Could you tell us any other parts you used and what backup camera unit you used? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 10-31-20, 07:51 PM
bmanone
Pit Crew

Default Brief Description Of GPS Replacement

Here's a brief description of what I did:

I unplugged the factory harness from the DVD unit in the trunk and removed the unit. I stowed the disconnected harness with some zip ties before reinstalling the floor.
After removing the display assembly from the dash, I disassembled the unit and removed the screen and the PCB attached to the screen. I also removed the PCB in the bezel used to light the screen (not sure it was necessary to remove, but I didn't want light leaking out around the Garmin GPS). I installed the GPS using dense closed cell foam to wedge it in place. I kept all the motors and PCBs in the assembly. When installing the display assembly back in the car, I plugged all the connectors back in. I tapped power for the GPS from the power outlet in the center console arm rest. The unit has a power button in the rear (no longer accessible), but it also comes on when the ignition turns on. The door open & close and screen tilt work, but none of the other navigation buttons work (they are not connected to Garmin GPS), however the touchscreen works great. The GPS unit I used is the Garmin Drivesmart 65 & Trafic. The backup camera is the Garmin BC40 Wireless Backup Camera.
I didn't take pictures of my install, however this website has some: https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...lacing-satnav/
Old 11-03-20, 06:29 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

@bmanone Is there a way to make it activate when you put car in reverse? or you have to always press that button to show the camera?
Old 11-03-20, 07:23 AM
Roger480
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I used bmanone’s advice to install gps and back up camera. I have yet to complete job but I have ordered the bc 30. This is powered by car reverse light circuit so it only activates when in reverse and if I understand Garmin instructions triggers the display automatically and goes off when reverse is disengaged.
I am using the drive smart 61. Same size as 65 but earlier model.
Old 11-03-20, 08:17 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

Originally Posted by Roger480
I used bmanone’s advice to install gps and back up camera. I have yet to complete job but I have ordered the bc 30. This is powered by car reverse light circuit so it only activates when in reverse and if I understand Garmin instructions triggers the display automatically and goes off when reverse is disengaged.
I am using the drive smart 61. Same size as 65 but earlier model.
Please let me know how this works out. I really want it only if it can engage on the display when the car is in reverse. I dont want to have to yell camera on or something everytime. It needs to change from NAV to backup camera when i put in reverse. Also lilke to hardwire it vs. bc 40. if you get it installed, would you mind letting me know how you wired it? Assume im stupid so details and photos are great. thanks
Old 11-03-20, 10:59 AM
bmanone
Pit Crew

The backup camera comes on first when the car is turned on. It can also be activated anytime, when the blue camera icon is touched.
Old 11-03-20, 11:22 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

Originally Posted by bmanone
The backup camera comes on first when the car is turned on. It can also be activated anytime, when the blue camera icon is touched.
Thats great but i want it to auto show the camera when i go into reverse like every other car out there. Who wants to press a button?
Old 11-03-20, 12:05 PM
bmanone
Pit Crew

Sure I get your desire. It's not a big deal to me, I chose installation convenience over reverse activation. I only installed the reverse camera for my wife to be more comfortable using my car. I always activate it when backing and then use the mirrors instead, oh well. Also, the wife never drives my car, I guess she afraid of damaging it?
Old 11-04-20, 05:49 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

seems there is a way to do this with the bc 30 camera by wiring it to the reverse light. im trying to find out more info and find some sort of wiring diagram for how to do this....

Quick Reply: Nav screen and DVD unit upgrade.