SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My rear windows are now under my control

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 05:53 PM
Natroth
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default My rear windows are now under my control

A few months ago, pre-covid, a Russian man, Slava at www.turbofactory.ru, was spruiking on this site about his magic box that would allow you to control the position of your rear quarter windows without interfering with the normal operation of the car and its roof. I did wonder what an SC430 was doing in Russia but I read all the less than positive feedback others left and watched his videos proving that his black box worked. In a dark and alcohol-fuelled moment, I bought the kit (probably covid fever). I spoke with Slava and had to wait to get the kit as he had not translated the instructions from Russian to English.

Today, I dismantled the boot space and fitted the kit....... it took two hours to install the black box near the ECU in the boot and then run a wire up to the window buttons on the driver's door. The operating rules are; Press the unlock button three times to raise the quarter windows and press two times to lower the quarter windows, messy but it works.

I did believe that being able to have the quarter windows up would make for a less turbulent cabin. Truth be told, there is a small improvement given that I also have the wind deflector on my car. BUT, it looks great and that is the most important part. The curve of the quarter window flows straight into the upward curve of the boot line, very smooth...........

In the words of the great ALDI, it is "Good Different"

All windows UP!

The "Black Box" all wired up

The following 6 users liked this post by Natroth:
718SC (11-06-20), digitatc (11-07-20), Eathon (11-20-20), joemg (11-11-20), nzxyxy (09-10-23), texsexlex (11-07-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-06-20, 07:58 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I sent you a PM reff the wind deflector and the black box would appreciate any help
Old 11-06-20, 10:37 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

The quarter window control and the cabriolet wind deflector do decrease the cabin turbulence at higher road speeds. Car looks “cooler” with the top up and the front and quarter windows both down.
The following users liked this post:
Eathon (11-20-20)
Old 11-07-20, 09:28 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....so what does the window kit cost & do you have a link ? Im interested in doing this.......thanx
The following users liked this post:
Eathon (11-20-20)
Old 11-07-20, 11:44 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Would you mind sharing the price youn pay for this? You can pm me if you dont want to post it in public. Thanks.
Old 11-08-20, 09:15 AM
evgeniy
Pit Crew

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Ahah, when i posted here Slava's 1/4 windows controller some of members wrote me that my videos fake
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...n-edition.html
Old 11-09-20, 12:36 AM
Natroth
Driver

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....so what does the window kit cost & do you have a link ? Im interested in doing this.......thanx
There were a few recent threads discussing quarter window control and a Russian popped up claiming to have made a module to achieve manual control of the rear windows. He posted videos to prove his point. There was some skepticism about interference with roof controls.

I took a risk and ordered the module. There was a delay as he had not converted the instructions to English. After a month the module was sent, with instructions. The installation was straight forward. There was some cutting and splicing of a few wires on the Window management ECU in the boot and a wire (supplied) had to be run up to the window switches on the driver's door. Everything worked the first time. The module gives you manual control of your quarter windows. Today, I took a long high-speed drive down the coast of New South Wales, Australia, and can state that the rear quarter windows being up when the roof is down made quite a difference to less wind buffeting in the cabin.

The module cost me $US200 plus a bit for shipping to Australia. I can absolutely endorse the module as doing what it says without any side effects to other operations of the car i.e. the very sensitive roof. Here is the email address of Slava: www.turbofactory.ru
Old 11-09-20, 12:42 AM
Natroth
Driver

Originally Posted by evgeniy
Ahah, when i posted here Slava's 1/4 windows controller some of members wrote me that my videos fake
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...n-edition.html
Your videos ARE NOT FAKE! The module works without interfering with other systems in the car. I know because I have installed it...... I haven't taken videos yet but am happy to answer any doubts about its functions.

The quarter windows "up" look great, note the clean flowing curve from both glass windows to the metal. Why did Lexus not do this at the factory???

The following 2 users liked this post by Natroth:
Eathon (11-20-20), nzxyxy (09-10-23)
Old 11-09-20, 08:56 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Natroth, What is it behind your seat? Did you have it install? How close is it to the roof?

Last edited by GmanSC; 11-09-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 08:47 PM
Buster06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GmanSC, that wind deflector could have been from this web site https://www.cabriosupply.com/lexus-s...ctor-2001-2010

Natroth, could you post a close-up of where you mount the hinges?

Old 11-11-20, 02:33 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

damn, thats awesome. I was interested in this but it was a bit too expensive for me since I live in SoCal and have the top completely down like 95% of the time. Glad to see more posts about it though.

One of these days I'm going to attempt to wire up the "2 touch" top down button that was mentioned in another thread. I have the parts I'm just being lazy/busy with other things.
Old 11-11-20, 04:12 PM
Natroth
Driver

Default Wind Deflector

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Natroth, What is it behind your seat? Did you have it install? How close is it to the roof?
That is a wind deflector that substantially reduces wind turbulence in the cabin when the roof is down and holds the heat in the forward section. It absolutely works, stopping the swirling cold air around your head and feet. secondly, it makes the best anti-theft device for the back seat. No-one can reach in and steal anything on the backseat when parked or at lights. I bought mine from https://www.cabriosupply.com/lexus-s...ctor-2001-2010 which is the only place I found that sells them for the SC430. Installation is easy (drill two holes) and the screen is removable. There are two metal tongues that slip under your rear headrest to hold up the back. The screen does fold down but it is almost transparent so I leave it up.

Old 11-11-20, 04:27 PM
Natroth
Driver

Default Wind Deflector and Anti Theft screen

Originally Posted by Buster06
GmanSC, that wind deflector could have been from this web site https://www.cabriosupply.com/lexus-s...ctor-2001-2010

Natroth, could you post a close-up of where you mount the hinges?
The wind deflector substantially reduces wind turbulence in the cabin when the roof is down and importantly holds the heat in the forward section of the car. It absolutely works, stopping the swirling cold air around your head and feet. Secondly, it makes the best anti-theft device for the back seat. No-one can reach in and grab anything on the backseat when parked or when sitting at traffic lights. I bought mine from https://www.cabriosupply.com/lexus-s...ctor-2001-2010 which is the only place I found that sells them for the SC430. The screen is a high-quality device that befits the SC430. It is tight, does not rattle or vibrate at high speed. Installation is easy (drill two holes) and the screen is removable. The hole surrounds are supplied. There are two metal tongues that slip under your rear headrest to hold up the back. The screen does fold down but it is almost transparent so I leave it up. I think it is a practical improvement to top-down driving.

Please note the very cool rear quarter windows in the UP position with the roof down, which helps lower wind turbulence even further, contributes to the anti-theft barrier, and looks good.

Last edited by Natroth; 11-11-20 at 04:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Natroth:
Buster06 (11-11-20), mrblister (11-12-20)