Carlaoer Android Car Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 02:41 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Torque Pro up and running paired with a LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE
Amazon Amazon

Steering wheel mode button readily switches between each running app. I'm glad I got a faster Carlaoer android car with enough CPU and storage to simultaneously run multiple apps. A lesser unit might not have been as satisfying.
Old 01-07-21, 06:36 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

That's pretty slick the unit has dashcam integration too. I was wanting to add one to my SC as well, so this might be the best solution. Good call on painting the mirror surround black too, I'm sure that tan really stuck out.

God Torque Pro looks so good there. That was the first app I downloaded and the second main reason behind doing this install (behind bluetooth), but unfortunately couldn't get my OBD2 adapter to pair with the android. Mine won't show the prompt to enter a pin, so It automatically fails. Did your android prompt you to enter a pin?
The following users liked this post:
Joehdavis (02-26-21)
Old 01-07-21, 06:54 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

No pin for my OBD adapter. I chose that one for low power draw and Bluetooth connection. That lets it interface without knocking out WiFi network connectivity

it also communicates via Bluetooth without pairing. So it doesn’t mess with phone’s pairing

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-07-21 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-07-21, 07:26 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
No pin for my OBD adapter. I chose that one for low power draw and Bluetooth connection. That lets it interface without knocking out WiFi network connectivity

it also communicates via Bluetooth without pairing. So it doesn’t mess with phone’s pairing
Sweet! Thanks for the link. I just purchased one.
Old 01-08-21, 01:54 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

I think you'll find the LELink Bluetooth Low Energy OBD adapter works well. I have also used it successfully with OBD Fusion on my iPhone.

Today's mystery was how to get back out of Torque Pro's gauge display to its home screen. Kept looking for an icon to press or a menu. Not until I watched a video showing someone use the "back" icon on the Android menu did I understand.

Still trying to find a way to automatically launch iGo and Torque Pro upon car startup. Wireless CarPlay does start up automatically, but I want those other two apps to also automatically start.

Also, need to arrange for my wife's iPhone to also work with wireless CarPlay and learn how to switch between phones when we're both in the car.

My on the road view. Not bad for a 2002 that predates the iPhone and didn't even include an auxiliary audio input! 224K miles old and she's refitted to much better suspension and modern electronics.

Dashcam also gives lane departure warnings. It's not super smart and can be fooled by road surface flaws, but even so. It has kept me out of trouble when I was super tired post overnight work. That alone more than earned its keep.

(That GPS antenna you see on my dash is the one for the mirror dashcam)

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-08-21 at 02:09 AM.
joemg (03-24-21)
Old 01-08-21, 06:43 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
I think you'll find the LELink Bluetooth Low Energy OBD adapter works well. I have also used it successfully with OBD Fusion on my iPhone.

Today's mystery was how to get back out of Torque Pro's gauge display to its home screen. Kept looking for an icon to press or a menu. Not until I watched a video showing someone use the "back" icon on the Android menu did I understand.

Still trying to find a way to automatically launch iGo and Torque Pro upon car startup. Wireless CarPlay does start up automatically, but I want those other two apps to also automatically start.

Also, need to arrange for my wife's iPhone to also work with wireless CarPlay and learn how to switch between phones when we're both in the car.

My on the road view. Not bad for a 2002 that predates the iPhone and didn't even include an auxiliary audio input! 224K miles old and she's refitted to much better suspension and modern electronics.

Dashcam also gives lane departure warnings. It's not super smart and can be fooled by road surface flaws, but even so. It has kept me out of trouble when I was super tired post overnight work. That alone more than earned its keep.

(That GPS antenna you see on my dash is the one for the mirror dashcam)
For automating the android unit, you might be able to use Tasker or a similar app to create a rule dependent on some condition that occurs every time you get in the car. For instance when it detects or pairs to your iPhone via Bluetooth.

I hope I don't have any issues exiting Torque Pro once I get the new OBD dongle, since my "physical" buttons are hidden. I'm assuming you should be able to swipe down from the top of the screen or a similar gesture to display a different menu. Does your mode button not work to toggle out of this app?

Let me know if you come up with a better solution for switching Bluetooth pairing. My girlfriend was riding with me last night and wanted to pair her phone while I was driving, but couldn't figure it out so I had to stop, disconnect mine, and then pair hers.
Old 01-08-21, 08:30 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Originally Posted by st3rnly
.....I hope I don't have any issues exiting Torque Pro once I get the new OBD dongle, since my "physical" buttons are hidden. I'm assuming you should be able to swipe down from the top of the screen or a similar gesture to display a different menu. Does your mode button not work to toggle out of this app?.....
What I was referring to is WITHIN the Torque app. I had it set to always go to dashboard upon launch. That doesn't leave an obvious way to get back to Torque's home screen. It's the back icon that is on the pull down Android top bar that gets you to the home screen in Torque. The Android pull down bar should be available to you even with a smaller device exposure.

The Mode button of steering wheel works fine for switching between running apps and launcher. Each press of mode switches between an app and Launcher. Every other press is Launcher.

You should still be fine with the physical buttons covered.

Pairing with wireless CarPlay with the AutoKit's bluetooth rather than the Android's bluetooth. So, what I come up with might not be that useful to you.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-08-21 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-08-21, 08:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I like your mirror. I’m also using something similar. Dual front and rear recording with park guard. Really like it a lot.

Seattle SCone (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 08:53 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Must be one of the newer, 12 inch units. Nice.
Old 01-09-21, 04:53 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Surrounding space measured, frame modeled and printing. I only need to cover left, top, and bottom. To fit the USB socket, left side is shorter than right. Also needed to cove out a bit on the left to clear air vent plastics. Overhanging ledges require supports to be printable.

Will take about four hours to print at 0.15 mm layers. If fit isn't right, will adjust model and print a revision. Not a fast process.

Old 01-09-21, 07:51 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Well shoot! Two, minor 1 mm dimension adjustments were needed in the CAD model. Printing what should be final version of the surround. I will post the STL file once I have verified fitment.

BTW found that Android Car will auto launch the navigation app. There is a "boot launch" checkbox in the Android settings for navigation app.

Will have to learn how to use Tasker to set up automatic launch of Torque Pro.
Old 01-09-21, 11:44 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Surround print fits. It slips easily into place and is held in position with a strip of silicone fusion tape on each side of the surround. USB socket end of cable is affixed using a small piece of 3M VHB tape.

Surround was printed in black PETG. So, it's a bit difficult to get a good picture of it - which is basically what I wanted - not really noticed.

Left side of surround is intentionally wider to accommodate the USB jack's thickness.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-09-21 at 11:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Seattle SCone:
MattInLex (01-10-21), sc4tlc (01-10-21), st3rnly (01-11-21)
Old 01-09-21, 11:45 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Attached is a zip of my surround's STL file.

Print with supports for the 1mm ledges of inner aspect of left and right sides.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
carlaoer android surround.zip (50.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-09-21 at 11:50 PM.
NZBruce (01-11-21)
Old 01-09-21, 11:56 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Default Using two iphones

Configured wireless carplay for my wife's phone as well.

If both phones are in range, AutoKit, upon car startup, automatically connects wirelessly with the most recently active iPhone.

If only one iPhone is present, Aut0Kit picks up the iPhone that is range.

I haven't worked on manually switching between phones with both phones present. That should only come into play if we are both in the car and the last active phone is not the one desired.
MattInLex (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 06:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Looks great Seattle SCone. Great job.

Quick Reply: Carlaoer Android Car Install