SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Carlaoer Android Car Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 04:19 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks really love the system. Huge step up from the oem navigation and wireless CarPlay is fantastic

The CarPlay adapter I got from Carlaoer accepted firmware update just fine

After some frustrating efforts trying to get a steering wheel button assigned as microphone in android and recognized as Siri button, I got a steering wheel button assigned to Siri

Requires two steps. First android needs a steering button learned as the play button

Second. Have​​​​​ autokit learn that button as Siri. It must be the button that android has learned as play

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-10-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 12:18 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Default Polish

Freshly completed print. You can see the wavy supports that were needed to print the overhanging mounting ledges.

The support material peels away quite easily if the printer settings are correct.

Leaves the overhanging support ledges that fit over front Android display surface

Fits well, but surface of 3D print is made of 0.15 mm layers. Curved, top, surfaces simply are not smooth if left just as printed.

One nice thing about PETG is it can be sanded and polished to look better than the layered/stepped appearance of a 3D print.
Some wet sanding, micromesh sticks refinement, and nail polishing stick yielded my final gloss finish.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-18-21 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-11-21, 07:13 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've said it once and I'll say it again... your work is extremely impressive! Nice job with the surround, not only refining it, but the polishing really ties the whole unit together. Sounds like you've got the software configured close to dialed too! Looking forward to seeing if Tasker works for you.

Side note, i got the OBDLE unit in the mail on Saturday and couldn't pair it to my phone or Android. After looking in the box I saw it came with instructions that state you must install an app to assist with the BT pairing. Did you need to use their app? Seems a bit sus to require an additional app for a standardized protocol.
Old 01-11-21, 11:53 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Didn’t use their app. Actually didn’t read their instructions. Just plugged in and started use. No pairing just direct selection in apps of the OBD device. It is designed to communicate direct without pairing Bluetooth
Old 01-11-21, 12:52 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Could you please take a screenshot of the About from the unit? Just want to make sure it's hackable/rootable to run custom ROM. I'm thinking about the 9" model that stretches from air vent to vent. Thanks.
Old 01-11-21, 02:12 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Originally Posted by digitatc
Could you please take a screenshot of the About from the unit? Just want to make sure it's hackable/rootable to run custom ROM. I'm thinking about the 9" model that stretches from air vent to vent. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
digitatc (01-11-21)
Old 01-12-21, 09:55 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Didn’t use their app. Actually didn’t read their instructions. Just plugged in and started use. No pairing just direct selection in apps of the OBD device. It is designed to communicate direct without pairing Bluetooth
That's interesting... I've only ever used OBD modules via pairing with Bluetooth. You're saying you didn't have to connect via Bluetooth, it just automatically recognizes the device once in Torque or the like? I tested on both my Android phone and head unit and neither were able to recognize an OBD device. I must have received a faulty unit. I requested a replacement and should have the new one later this week. Fingers crossed that one works.
Old 01-13-21, 03:35 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Odd to receive a bad unit

engine was running when you attempted connection right?

The plug with two short blue antenna wires and video input is plugged into back of android?
Old 01-13-21, 06:32 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Odd to receive a bad unit

engine was running when you attempted connection right?

The plug with two short blue antenna wires and video input is plugged into back of android?
The strange part is the device is recognized in my list of connectable BT devices on both units. When I click on it to attempt to pair, it doesn't display any confirmation or error messages, it just attempts and then reverts to a select-able item. Engine was running and I tried unplugging and plugging it back in again a few times.

I don't recall using a plug with any antenna wires, just the primary harness (which I reduced to Pwr, Gnd, Acc and Reverse), the AV harness (AUX out, Video, in/out, USB), and GPS. Unless those antenna wires were part of the AV harness.

I didn't have any issues connecting to my last OBD device using my Android phone, so not sure what the issue is now. Hoping I received a faulty unit, although I suspect that isn't the case. I figured maybe since Torque Pro doesn't show ELM (only options are Bluetooth, Wifi, USB) as an OBD2 adapter type in the settings menu, maybe that was the case. So I downloaded OBD Fusion which is a recommended app on the device's amazon page. This app has ELM as a connection type, but still couldn't connect to the device.
Old 01-13-21, 08:53 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Mine is working fine with Torque Pro on the Carlaoer Android. I recall it would never pair under the Android bluetooth app, but was able to directly select it in Torque Pro.
OBD fusion talks to it without pairing on my iPhone.
Old 01-13-21, 01:16 PM
NZBruce
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Attached is a zip of my surround's STL file.

Print with supports for the 1mm ledges of inner aspect of left and right sides.
Hi Seattle SCone , I have been going nuts trying to figure out how I could make a surround for my android head unit that didn’t look ugly. .. thanks for sharing the 3D print file . Got a quote in NZ $ 43 , probably about 30$ USA . So am very happy with that. , thanks again Bruce.
Old 01-13-21, 01:27 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

@st3rnly, if your ODBII dongle is one of those BT 5.0 you need to enable your GPS before you can pair it.
There is no need to have the engine running, just turn the ignition key to ON.
Old 01-13-21, 09:14 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Originally Posted by NZBruce
Hi Seattle SCone , I have been going nuts trying to figure out how I could make a surround for my android head unit that didn’t look ugly. .. thanks for sharing the 3D print file . Got a quote in NZ $ 43 , probably about 30$ USA . So am very happy with that. , thanks again Bruce.
Have them print the PETG with 3 (or even better 4) perimeters and 4 top layers. That will yield enough wall thickness to sand and polish without breaking through.
NZBruce (01-14-21)
Old 01-14-21, 09:11 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Have not installed Tasker yet, but at least have Torque Pro configured to show the parameters I'm interested in knowing. Didn't see much utility in adding displays that are already on the dashboard. So, no tachometer, speedometer. This is the view of the Android with Torque Pro at night.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-15-21 at 01:47 AM.
hlthlnk (02-25-21)
Old 01-15-21, 02:04 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Default Symmetric Surround

In case someone is not wanting to have the USB jack to the left of the Android, here is a symmetric version of my surround. This has equal length and equal width left and right legs.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
android surround symmetric.zip (53.5 KB, 16 views)
NZBruce (01-19-21)

Quick Reply: Carlaoer Android Car Install