SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Carlaoer Android Car Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 02:27 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

I forgot to show how I attached the Carlaoer Android to the multi-display's chassis using the brackets supplied with the Carlaoer. Didn't require any modifcation or drilling.

Old 01-19-21, 12:49 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Updated the 3D print picts to illustrate how the supports allow printing of a overhanging ledge, and the 3D printed surface stepping removed with sanding and polishing.

Now deciding between Tasker vs a replacment Launcher that also knows how to autostart apps. Haven't found a theme I really like yet.
The following users liked this post:
NZBruce (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 02:02 PM
NZBruce
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm using Agama launcher , it's not perfect but better than what was standard on my H/U . Thx for adding the extra info regarding the 3d printing ,
Old 01-22-21, 08:17 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Noticed that my rear speakers were more active than they should be. Turned out I had not neutralized the android DSP’s speaker placements. So DSP was shifting audio in addition to the ML amp processing.

Be sure to neutralize that in the DSP settings if using ML amp. Speaker distance is accessed via a button in the DSP app

------

Another tidbit. The LElink OBD bluetooth adapter I am using
Amazon Amazon
has a zero power mode that can be turned on/off via the maker's EngineLinkLE phone app. If the adapter is in automatic zero power mode, adapter goes completely off and may not power up until your RUN your engine. Simply turning ignition key to ON won't reliably awaken it from zero power mode.

Because my OBD adapter is in automatic zero power mode, my engine must be running to awaken mine. If you don't enable zero power mode, you will see the red LED remains on even when key is removed from car.
Draw without, zero power mode, is reported 30 ma, which is still quite low. I was keeping mine in non zero power mode initially, but changed to zero power mode.
If a unit is shipped with zero power mode enabled, you won't be able to connect until the engine is on (can visually check by whether adapter's red LED is on)

Also, you really do NOT need to bluetooth pair this particular OBD adapter. Torque Pro, OBD Fusion, and EngineLinkLE all directly communicate with its bluetooth without pairing. I do not have mine paired to phone or android.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 01-23-21 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-25-21, 04:57 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I did a lot of testing with different devices and apps and was never able to get the LELink unit to work with my android. I think it may be the 9.0 vs 10.0 difference between ours. Fortunately though, I was able to get OBD2 via Bluetooth working via
this unit this unit

I'm going to have to take a look at my DSP settings after work today. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-25-21, 07:24 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Good job getting OBD data acquisition working. That link, though. It seems to get a bunch of eBay listings rather than a specific item.

I really like the flexibility to obtain the runtime data continually. To think I was limited to just idiot lights and super outdate navigation a little while ago.
Haven't even used the iPod since wireless CarPlay has been added to car. CarPlay is SO convenient.

Old 01-25-21, 08:01 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Good job getting OBD data acquisition working. That link, though. It seems to get a bunch of eBay listings rather than a specific item.

I really like the flexibility to obtain the runtime data continually. To think I was limited to just idiot lights and super outdate navigation a little while ago.
Haven't even used the iPod since wireless CarPlay has been added to car. CarPlay is SO convenient.
That's strange about the link, it's a direct link to the product on amazon. Does this work for you?
Amazon Amazon

Either way, I'm super stoked on the new setup. I still need to play around with arranging gauges on the dashboard. I really like your setup and will probably end up with something similar. Trans and intake temps plus battery voltage should be really useful. I'm definitely a little jealous of your wireless carplay.
Old 01-25-21, 08:22 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

New link works
Old 01-29-21, 04:28 PM
cazzola
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VSC OBDII problem

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Have not installed Tasker yet, but at least have Torque Pro configured to show the parameters I'm interested in knowing. Didn't see much utility in adding displays that are already on the dashboard. So, no tachometer, speedometer. This is the view of the Android with Torque Pro at night.
I also have a 2002 and there's a known issue with these years that OBDII readers can trip the VSC and disable it until you reset it (It's happened to me with different readers). Has this been an issue with your scanner?

Last edited by cazzola; 01-29-21 at 04:30 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-29-21, 04:54 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

No. Have not had that happen with my OBD LeLink. I do have that happen with my Techstream cable, but will be deleting its pin 14 connection to prevent that issue.

cazzola (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 05:28 PM
cazzola
Driver School Candidate

@Seattle SCone Now that you've been using the unit for a couple weeks, what do you think of the Carlaoer deck (boot time, audio quality, screen quality, other glitches)? It certainly looks like an excellent value on paper.
Old 02-01-21, 06:05 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Overall, very happy with the Carlaoer unit. Boot time is fast enough that wireless Carplay is engaged by the time I'm leaving my driveway. Not a single crash of its Android OS to this day. It's a natural part of my driving experience now.

Screen quality is not equal in contrast to the OLED on the iPhone. It almost seems like a TN panel by comparison, but probably is not TN based on the wide viewing angle. Direct sunlight on the screen definitely washes it out.

Given the choice, I'd definitely do it again. It's a massive step forward in capability. Don't miss the old nav screen or its door at all. Igo navigator runs in the background all the time and I appreciate its speed limit warnings. Even more, new roads in the real world actually exist in the navigator as opposed to the myriad missing from my old navigation DVD.

OBD data is great to have at ready access. Runtime parameters let me watch for battery, vacuum, O2 sensor, ECU function, and cooling issues. Even can do a DTC code scan without dragging out my laptop and TechStream cable. Way better than a dummy light!

Audio quality has been enjoyable. I have not fired up the iPod classic in weeks. Wireless Carplay sounds quite good despite being wireless, not using the Burr Brown DAC's of the iPod, and feeding through speaker level output and level matching adapter. Only puzzlement were some seemingly mysterious pauses in audio while driving. Turned out to be an Igo navigation feature for muting musing for railroad crossings. Other than that --- system basically just works.
cazzola (02-01-21)
Old 02-04-21, 03:25 PM
cazzola
Driver School Candidate

@Seattle SCone I'm more of a Waze guy myself because of cop warnings . I haven't heard of many people using Igo. What's it's claim to fame that makes you partial to using that one?
Old 02-04-21, 03:56 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Not super partia. It's simply convenient because there is no continual network connection needed. It's mostly a backup anyways, with CarPlay doing the heavy lifting. Nice thing about Android is getting to set it up the way you want.

I did find one way to temporarily glitch my OBD LELink. Do an ECU reset procedure and it won't wake back up until the car and Android are off for about a minute. Otherwise, no glitches with reconnecting the OBD capture.

By ECU reset I mean this sequence.....
1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait 2 minutes.
6. Remove key.
7. Done
If you do the above, the OBD won't reconnect again until the car is off for about a minute. If you immediately restart car, it won't reconnect.

Old 02-14-21, 03:33 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Default Car Launcher Pro

Rather than using Tasker, I ended up installing Car Launcher Pro to automate startup of Torque Pro. It also let me arrange a simpler home screen. Still arranging it to my taste, but I like it a lot better than the default Launcher that comes on the Android. Could possibly have done it with Car Launcher Free, but GooglePlay store was having fits letting me grab that version. I also considered Agama, but that has way too many gadgets on its home screen. I only wanted a simple launcher for a few apps and the automated launch for Car Kit (Wireless Apple CarPlay), iGo, and Torque Pro. Now, they automatically fire up before I can get out of the driveway.

You can see I made the theme super simple. Still need to add iGo, but that's it. I spend 99% of time with either the CarPlay or Torque display on screen. The home screen is largely an annoyance I pass through while pressing the steering wheel mode button. Others may want more on their home screen and it's nice to have customizability.

Total time from turning key to ON to launch iGo, Torque Pro, and CarKit and have music playing via wireless CarPlay is 31 seconds.

A couple setup tips for autolaunching and leaving your favorite app in front...

Android has a setting for auto start of navigation on boot. I turned that off and let Car Launcher do the startup.
Similarly CarKit also has an automatic startup setting it the app. Turn that off as well.

That let me set the startup sequence in Car Launcher by adjusting the time delay before launch for each app.

iGo - zero delay
Torque Pro - 3 seconds
CarKit - 9 seconds (last to start up so this ends up as displayed app)

Turned OFF return to CarLauncher after launching all apps otherwise the Car Launcher Pro home screen would take screen back over instead of CarKit.

Torque Pro and iGo are left running in background and available at a few touches of steering wheel mode button.

Now it's automated just like I want.

Just that dang temp widget is in C instead of F. Google voice assist doesn't change it.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 02-14-21 at 05:16 PM.
Buster06 (02-14-21)

Quick Reply: Carlaoer Android Car Install