SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need 'c-best' Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-03, 12:54 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Need 'c-best' Help

Hi guys. Dealer says DRLs (daytime running lamps) can't be deactivated, and I've seen cars that way (BMWs can be programmed off too). There're many other functions, like lowering the volume of the key-in-ignition chime, and dealer says can't do that either. They said only the stuff mentioned on the owner's manual can be changed.

I saw on this board a TSB about C-BEST in acrobat, but can't find it. I especially want the DRLs off, so if you know of a way to defeat them, in case they can't really be turned off, please let me know. On my vette, I had to pull fuse #2 to do the trick.

Thanks gang.

JC
Old 09-18-03, 01:24 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a reference to it in the FAQ here and it takes you to the web page with it..

My DRLs were disabled on my SC430 and I took in the CBEST printout to give them showing the line item on disable...

IT CAN BE DONE!!!
Old 09-18-03, 02:32 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also get a copy of the C-BEST options on my web site in Word or RTF form:

www.theantigeek.com
Old 09-18-03, 02:42 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Antigeek, I just did that buddy (in word), but there's NOTHING about the DRLs man.

Ceboyd also mentioned disabling his but there's nothing even on the TSB version.

Hey Antigeek, where did you get your silver caps? Just called a place in CA (714)632-6700 but they can only get chromed. I might get the chromed version, but don't know how it'll look. On the other hand, the stock ones seem to be almost chrome-looking, right? Opinions?

I'm trying to avoid the chrome exchange just because of the hassle that is, and the possibility of messing up the sensors. I was going to wait for tire time.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-18-03, 09:57 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out "DRL FUNCTION" under Section 8 -- "Light Control".
It's the next-to-last option. There's a disable function for the DRLs.
I haven't disabled the function on my car (too dangerous for Dallas ),
but I've heard that it works for those who want it.

The silver caps are the factory versions from the dealer. I told them I wanted to change them out myself so I could provide the details to CL.

They're not chrome-looking at all -- actually, they're as dull as the painted wheels themselves. The original center caps are a different plastic than these, so the "pie plates" are actually shinier.
Details on my original post when I installed them -- plastic differences and all.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=87487

Any time, I'm here to help.
Old 09-19-03, 04:38 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many dealers say they won't turn off the DRL's. It's a "guideline" Lexus follows, not a safety law. When pushed, most of these dealers will acquiesce. Before my first scheduled service, I had the service rep (who refused my DRL request) write down that I had requested this and he had refused. (I think most reps would give in at this point, but this guy was a rookie and wrote it down.) I intended to take my request to a higher source, but when I got my car back from the service, the mechanics had read the request and refusal and turned them off anyway. At least they knew how to satisfy a Lexus customer.

Failing that, you can always wait until they screw up (and they will) with scratches, swirl marks, whatever, and then when complaining about that say, "... and on top of that, you won't even turn off my DRL's which most of the SC's in Texas have had done!" That gets their attention.

But if I were you, I wouldn't buy the car until they assure you they'll do it. Good luck, JC.
Old 09-19-03, 09:46 AM
JCtx
Racer

Antigeek: Thanks for the info, but won't pay for them since I want to chrome wheels anyway; might have to do it right away after all.
Hey, did you have to remove the lug nuts, which means supporting the car?

Roofless: I'll do that buddy. I'll have to buy an '04; I was about to leave this morning to San Antonio, when I received a call that the car developed a chip bigger tnan a pencil eraser. I won't be getting that car.

Good day.