SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS light steady with new tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 12:05 PM
ScottCalki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS light steady with new tires

Installed new tires and TPMS sensors on all four wheels on my 2005 SC 430. Now the TPMS light is on steady. The pressures are good, no tires are flat and the install place (Discount Tire) says they are not equipped to reset it. Is there any way to get this light out, rather than paying big bucks to Lexus?
Old 01-09-21, 03:08 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi @ScottCalki and welcome to Club Lexus. Please note I've moved your thread to a more-appropriate forum (for the SC430).

I do believe that your local @Discount Tire should be able to reset TPMS, but hopefully others can chime in with their experiences.
Old 01-09-21, 04:42 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 348 Posts

The question you need to ask any tire shop is do you have Techstream. Who's TPMS's did you use? If they were not from Lexus ie red,blue, white and gold/yellow then they will not program to your car techstream or not. If they were from Lexus and the shop has techstream then the shop and program them.

Dennis
Old 01-09-21, 08:02 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Discount Tire is not equipped to register the TPS for the 2002-2006 SC430. If they installed OEM sensors on it, you'll have to take it to the dealer or buy a Techstream and register them yourself. If they installed a non-OEM TPS and you still have the SC430 TPMS system in your car, you'll have to have them replace those with OEM for the monitoring system to work. Discount Tire typically installs generic sensors unless informed otherwise because not all of their techs are informed about the SC430's system.

The SC430 TPS were specific to the SC430 and not widely used anywhere else.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Harold57; 01-10-21 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Adding pertinent years
Old 01-09-21, 09:05 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

My 08’s Tpms”s were replaced by Costco yesterday. $194 for four. No labor. Obviously not oem. No light on anymore.
Old 01-10-21, 02:13 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
My 08’s Tpms”s were replaced by Costco yesterday. $194 for four. No labor. Obviously not oem. No light on anymore.
that is because you have a different sensor than the 2002-2006 vs
2007-2010
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
Caflashbob (01-10-21), Harold57 (01-10-21)
Old 01-27-21, 02:41 PM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottCalki
Installed new tires and TPMS sensors on all four wheels on my 2005 SC 430. Now the TPMS light is on steady. The pressures are good, no tires are flat and the install place (Discount Tire) says they are not equipped to reset it. Is there any way to get this light out, rather than paying big bucks to Lexus?
Thank you for your business, Unfortunately as prior members have stated the 02-06 SC430 is a very unique vehicle in regards to the TPMS sensors. The vehicle requires a different sensor part number for each wheel/tire, and although we can order the sensors and physically install them, our programming tools will not activate or learn them to the vehicle.

Please feel free to reach out via pm if we can be of any further assistance.
Old 01-27-21, 03:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Thank you for your business, Unfortunately as prior members have stated the 02-06 SC430 is a very unique vehicle in regards to the TPMS sensors. The vehicle requires a different sensor part number for each wheel/tire, and although we can order the sensors and physically install them, our programming tools will not activate or learn them to the vehicle.

You should not sell parts to a customer that are not compatible and you cannot program. Bad business.

In all honesty something like this is much better anyway, I believe pre 2006 you can disable the TPMS light if I remember correctly.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-27-21, 06:00 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Not without some work. It's not like you can turn them on and off with Techstream.

Dennis
Old 01-28-21, 04:55 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Here you you go, it’s actually rather simple. I have accessed this area a number of times when I was installing my GTA car kit. Takes only a few min.

- put shifter on N, screw off shifter
- open up center console
- pull the whole heated seat module straight up, it will come up. disconnect
- you will be able to pull up the "back" part of the shift plate area (close to center console)
- once it's up, the only point holding it are two clips right below the radio
- pull the shift plate towards the back of the car and a bit angle up. jiggle a bit and it will come off
- once it's out, you will see the TPS unit right below the radio
- unplug BOTH plugs, one small on the right and one bigger one on the left
- put everything back and enjoy
Old 01-28-21, 07:26 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

The disconnection of the connectors will not works for 06+ models.
Old 01-30-21, 09:06 PM
RC51
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for chiming in to help out. Yes, it requires Toyota Techstream software to program. That would be cost prohibitive for all of your stores to have available. The licensing alone would be quite a bit. Thanks for the information.

Old 02-06-21, 08:31 AM
BobbyB
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you determine which sensor is bad?
Old 02-06-21, 11:20 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

If you have techstream you can. If you are asking if Discount Tire can determine which TPMS is bad without techstream I would say no.

Dennis
Old 02-08-21, 05:57 PM
cazzola
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RC51
Thank you for chiming in to help out. Yes, it requires Toyota Techstream software to program. That would be cost prohibitive for all of your stores to have available. The licensing alone would be quite a bit. Thanks for the information.
A completely functional shall we say "generic" version of Techstream and the cable to take care of that problem costs under $25 on Amazon. If you're willing to learn how and have either a 32bit version of Windows (or VM with USB capability), you can do this yourself.