SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

PROBLEM WITH MY CAR; need your advice gentlemen.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-03, 07:14 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default PROBLEM WITH MY CAR; need your advice gentlemen.

I was getting ready to leave in the morning (driving the vette to San Antonio, to be traded in for the lex), when the salesman called. Turns out that even after repeatedly asking him to personally check the car in and out for any blemishes before we closed the negotiations, now the car magically developed a rock chip in the hood. Guy couldn't even go and check it for himself; supposedly it's not dented, and it's the size of a rounded-head pin, right in the leading edge of the hood, above the grille.

Now what? He said they will call me tomorrow. They'll might do 4 things: nothing, repair it, replace the hood, offer a discount.

Please tell me what would you do, and if it's a discount, how much should I accept? I could probably touch it up myself, but it sucks to buy a car already chipped. On the other hand, if they replace the hood (which I sincerely doubt, especially with the discounted price), will the paint perfeclty match? Would anybody know it was replaced, like carfax?

I never seem to run out of bad luck as far as chips on cars. As a comment, I remember a few years ago having to work on the garage opener a hot summer day. My dear wife told me to pull the car out, but I told her if she didn't know who she was talking to. Well, I climbed the 'A' ladder with tools on top, but the weird position the parked car forced me to assume, eventually made me lose my balance, and you can probably guess where the tools landed. Yep, on my pristine BMW. HEY, stop laughing; at least I inflicted the damage myself!! The relevance of the story is two fold: will never do it again , and I've become a master at touch-up .

If the car is not ready, they also ruined my yearly motorcycle rally at Ruidoso; I was going tomorrow with my buddies.

I really appreciate your input.

JC
Old 09-18-03, 07:32 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on what I read, I would ask for a discount and really make them feel the pain. You sound like someone who could touch up the car and do a great job. That being said I know what its like when you buy something you want it to be perfect.

My vote is to tell them to take some cash out of the deal, or give you a free service(s) (if you plan on servicing it there). I feel your pain. Good luck and what ever you do, enjoy the car!!!!

Old 09-18-03, 07:39 PM
JCtx
Racer

Thanks for your input buddy. I live in El Paso (560 miles away) so I probably won't see those folks again.
The chip sounds rather large, and I'm sure I can do a decent job of touching it up, but any such repair WILL always be noticeable at close inspection. I would prefer no cash discount and car perfect, obviously, but this is the reality. I won't find any other new '03, and even less at that discount.
The question is how much to accept. On a car like that, they should really replace the hood, which I assume would amount to some serious cash (a grand maybe?), so how much would be fair to ask?
I'm really pissed off at why nobody bother to find this damage before (repeatedly) claiming the car was perfect.

Thanks again
Old 09-18-03, 07:48 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Tough call,

They are just going to claim that they thought it was perfect and that they just found it while cleaning it, or something to that effect. No doubt they have a digital camera there, get him to take several shots of it and email it to you. At least you will have some idea of what you are dealing with.

A new hood would be ideal, I wouldn't worry about the paint matching up. Most places are pretty good with that stuff. Do I think that they are going to put a new hood on, I'm not sure. I am pretty sure that its a very expensive part, plus painting etc....

I think you should call the sales manager and lay out the facts and see what he offers you. I am sure that they are anxious to move the car and don't want to lose the deal, is the dent enough to make you walk on the deal?

Whatever you do make sure that you are happy when you drive off in the car and you don't regret taking it in whatever condition you agreee on...

Last edited by DropTop430; 09-18-03 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-18-03, 07:56 PM
JCtx
Racer

Thanks man. Living 600 miles away don't make things easy, and even less driving with a trade-in.

My other worry is that when I bought the SC400 and LS400, the cars had swirl marks all over the place when the bozos at the dealer washed the car ONCE. This car has been sitting in the lot (OUTSIDE; no windshield sunshade) for 1-1/2 months, and apparently washed several times in that period. This 'boo-boo' makes me wonder if they were as effective looking for swirl marks than chips.

Oh well. Let's see what happens.
Old 09-19-03, 04:15 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Make *** hurt

Ask them to "clay bar" the car for swirl marks,
touch up the chip, install the spoke wheel covers
and trade out the Run-Craps for better tires
(Eagle F-1 GS D3 or Pilot Sports AS ). Remember
these things cost them much less than you.
Don't forget to ask for t/golf shirts, caps, cups
and any other freebies.

Last edited by Joe Peters; 09-19-03 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-19-03, 09:39 AM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Joe. Man, I'm mad as hell. Got a call this morning, as I was ready to leave to San Antonio, and the little chip the size of a pin head in the edge of the hood grew overnight to the size of a large pencil eraser, and relocated to the middle of the hood. Forget about re-touching that. This had to happen to whoever took the car to a gas station to fill it up, but the smart aleck said it was there, without knowing the manager himself checked the car the day before (for the 2nd time) following my instructions.

Trip cancelled folks. I told the manager to nobody will accept that kind of damage on a $60K+ car, so he better order a new hood right away (possibly covered by their insurance). My question is if the hood comes already painted by the factory. In addition, even if it does, the darn car sat for month and a half in 100º heat, so will the hood look like if it was there all along? I doubt it, since most batches of paint are not identical.

I already decided not to get this vehicle. Will have to wait for an '04 in October. Talking to my brother-in-law, who owns a cartier town car with 'ecru' interior, I decided against the ecru as well. Will be either a white/saddle in Albuquerque, or a silver/black in El Paso (if they match the $3K off MSRP).

And to make matters worse, after more than 4 years without problems, hemorroids came back this morning out of the blues, so my motorcycle rally is off too. Geez, what's next?

Take care guys.

JC
Old 09-19-03, 05:08 PM
flatfoot
Driver

ELP-JC, Unless they were discounting that car about 10k, IMHO,I would hold out for the 2004. A chip of any size on a new car of this caliber is unforgiveable.
Old 09-19-03, 05:31 PM
JCtx
Racer

Just bought an identical car (silver/ecru) for $59K, but it's an '04 and should arrive next Tuesday. I'll take delivery with every plastic on the car, and do the detailing myself.
It's $2K more expensive than the other, but NO sun exposure at all, a year newer, and with no dents. I was expecting only $3K off (about $61.3K), but the guy said: I told you $59K, right? I said... No, but I'll obviously take that. Car has both options plus the wheel locks and trunk mat, for a sticker of $64,234. That's a great deal IMHO.

Oh, and it's 300 miles away; not 600

Have a good weekend gentlemen.

JC
Old 09-19-03, 06:18 PM
FWCruiser
Driver School Candidate

ELP, where are you getting your car. I am in Fort Worth, waiting for the 2004's to arrive and the best I can find is $1500 under MSRP. Thanks, David
Old 09-19-03, 09:39 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Exclamation

JC,
Sorry about all the BS they put you through
and your other problem too
David,
Do a search for Lexus dealers with in 300 miles
of Ft Worth and contact them with a I'm ready to
buy. I'll bet there are 15 dealers in the 300mi radius.
Ours is Pre-Owned Certified 2002 we got it in Austin.
Black/Saddle 33K mi. for 49,000. I Know you want new
but check all the dealers you can find and if you wait till
Dec. ( end of the month) you might save a few thousand.
What color combo are you looking for?

I just checked and within 350 Miles of Fort Worth:
11 in TX., 2 in OK ., 1 in AR. & 1 in LA.
Hey, thats 15. Just look it up on www.lexus.com.

BTW I'm in Fort Worth.
www.pbhats.com

Last edited by Joe Peters; 09-19-03 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-19-03, 09:59 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by ELP_JC
Just bought an identical car (silver/ecru) for $59K, but it's an '04 and should arrive next Tuesday. I'll take delivery with every plastic on the car, and do the detailing myself.
Good for you that you are able to get one to your satisfaction.

"Bad" for ne next guy because the dealer will probably just spot paint that chip. They do this all the time, especially with CPO cars. Unless you really look for it, you'd probably won't know. For the next guy, he won't be expecting it so he won't notice it. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 09-20-03, 06:33 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it depends on the buyer.. I examine a car with a fine tooth comb in every nook and cranny BEFORE I sign the final paperwork... so I notice EVERYTHING...

My guess is ELP is the same way

Geex $49K for an 02 with 33K miles seems really high to me.. I guess the market down south is much stronger than up here.... go figure.. OH well...
Old 09-20-03, 10:33 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

It was 6 months ago and Lexus certified to 100k
or 3 years from date of purchase. Came with a spare.
64,000 seems a litle high for the same car.
Old 09-20-03, 02:25 PM
flatfoot
Driver

ELP-JC, They did you a favor by chipping the 03. You are now the man with an 04! Congrats!
Flatfoot

Quick Reply: PROBLEM WITH MY CAR; need your advice gentlemen.