SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can you use coilovers in front and leave rear OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 10:39 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Can you use coilovers in front and leave rear OEM?

I have a 2006 that the front springs are starting to sag and the tires are starting to rub the fender when entering sloped driveway aprons. The struts are not leaking, but the front end really takes a jolt when hitting potholes. Has anyone replaced the front springs and struts with coilovers, but leave the rear as original?
Old 01-14-21, 10:49 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Most likely the new front coil overs are going to be higher spring rate than your old rear struts. I'd be concerned that would make the car even more prone to understeer - which is the opposite of what you want on the car.

I'd swap them out all around to gain improved handling balance instead of making it worse.
Old 01-14-21, 01:13 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle SCone
Most likely the new front coil overs are going to be higher spring rate than your old rear struts. I'd be concerned that would make the car even more prone to understeer - which is the opposite of what you want on the car.

I'd swap them out all around to gain improved handling balance instead of making it worse.
I agree. you can replace just the front if you plant to replace it with the OEM spring and shock.
Old 01-15-21, 11:18 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I agree. you can replace just the front if you plant to replace it with the OEM spring and shock.
I would be leaning towards staying OEM if you can't mix coilovers in the front and OEM in the rear. Since it has sagged in the front, then front springs, struts, bumper, insulator and upper supports look like it will run just over $900 in parts at MYLParts.com. That's a crazy amount with me doing all the labor. Anyone found better deals?
Old 01-15-21, 01:29 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
I would be leaning towards staying OEM if you can't mix coilovers in the front and OEM in the rear. Since it has sagged in the front, then front springs, struts, bumper, insulator and upper supports look like it will run just over $900 in parts at MYLParts.com. That's a crazy amount with me doing all the labor. Anyone found better deals?
Yes, the OEM shock & strut are not cheap unless you are looking for a used one. Keep in mind most used OEM are 10+ years old now so not really a good choice. You might want to go full coilovers front and back. The Megan EZ coilovers goes for around $750 might be better choice.
Old 01-15-21, 01:51 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Our SC430's OEM suspension is, in my opinion, the worst of both worlds. It transmits a lot of road vibrations into the cabin, but sways like a boat in curves. Not a sporty suspension. Not a luxury ride. Basically, they managed to cobble together something that was superlative at nothing.

Going to full coilovers at least gives you the chance to get an actual sporty suspension able to take corners without tossing the occupants over the cliff. It won't be silky smooth, but I'm super happy with my 10K / 10K setup and upgraded sway bars. It transfromed my 18 year old boat into something that feels like my DB9 despite being an old Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
MeeYagee (01-23-21)
Old 01-15-21, 03:47 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

Oem has/had too much high speed compression dampening and not enough low speed dampening and no internal bottoming resistance. And while the 12/6 kg spring rate was correct as Jerrick told me they were too long. A shorter same rate spring holds the car up much better as it turns out.

night and day difference driving the Sc with the MeisterR CRD’s on it.

straight into short steep driveways at not creep slow speeds and cushes up the slope and no bottoming.

can be driven harder now. Sway bars. Front and back. Coilovers front and back.

if anyone wants to test this I live in south Orange County, ca.

the deflection off tiny bumps that the oem had is gone.

Car is spring firm now with the adjustable dampening the fine tuning.

i build and ride off road bikes since a young guy and suspension is the key.

Jerrick set it up very well.

a softer short spring set maybe 5/10 might be more cushy and then turn up the dampening but the body roll would increase.

Remember I have 45’s on this car. Some tire lean.

My tpms shows 38psi roughly when they are warmed up.

not a floater still. Taunt but not stiff. Does follow the road changes in bumps but no kickback.

this is at 17 out front and 20 out rear out of 32 clicks

full soft was smoother but 80-90% of the cars new feel turns out to be the shorter springs.

A progressive spring wind might be even softer but at the expense of the turning which now is an 8 out of 10 good.

Most of the 8 versus a 9 as i mentioned I think is the 45 series tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Caflashbob:
MeeYagee (01-23-21), RichardMor (01-16-21)