SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Counterfeit Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 04:34 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts
Default Counterfeit Parts

I can't believe I am making this statement; Twenty years ago I would have called myself an idiot for buying dealer parts, but there is a pretty good reason you should buy from your local car salesman.

My cousin works for Customs and she told me that counterfeit Auto parts abound these days. Since things are so easy to buy on the internet, counterfeiters find it easy to sell their wares. I know if I have the option to buy genuine toyota parts off ebay, or a generic aftermarket part, I am willing to pay more for Toyota Parts. I now wonder how many counterfeits did I buy?

Many are outright counterfeits, which have questionable quality

Other are "Gray Market Parts" (but still Toyota parts)
https://www.autoconsumernewsdesk.com...e-gray-market/

I actually found that buying Parts directly from my dealer is cost effective and sometimes even cheaper. An example would be oil filters. A SC430 filter from Toyota is $6 and a filter that fits the SC430 from Walmart is $11.25
I bought 12 quarts of Toyota Type IV automatic Transmission Fluid for $60 ($5 a quart). If you go to O'Reilly's their house brand of "global transmission fluid" is $6.99 a quart.

Not all dealers charge the same price, so you may want to shop around.

I have often asked "Is there anyway you can give me a discount?" and they usually do...

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 03-03-21 at 04:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DshngDaryl:
JTho (03-04-21), Wilson2000 (03-04-21), WtSpyder (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 04:40 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Another interesting thing I learned from this video (Go to the 24 Minute 30 Sec part of the video). If the Toyota part has a YZZ in the part number, it is a Toyota part designed for their parts department. If it does not have those letters, than it is a part designed for the assembly line.

An example he gave was that Brake Pads come in the YZZ line and the non YZZ line, but the non yzz's are twice the price.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 03-03-21 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-04-21, 05:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Good stuff Double-D! I've often railed against aftermarket parts and warned others regarding OEM vs true-OEM parts, and now I have one more thing to loose sleep over...counterfeit OEM parts! I was aware of counterfeiting as the issue came up in a CL thread about Denso iridium plugs. Some posters thought they were buying Denso brand plugs, but found out they were counterfeit after receiving them. The a-holes who are perpetrating these crimes need to be strung up by their nads!

It's hard enough taking on DIY maintenance and repairs without having to fear this. Maybe out of a abundance of caution, I've always tried to buy my parts from Toyota/Lexus dealers who sell on-line at a discount. Now that I know the lengths criminals will go to, ripping-off the American market, I'll be doubly cautious. Thanks for bringing these videos to our attention. I hope Toyota takes note and goes after these unscrupulous butt-f'ers!

The YZZ issue was also enlightening. Will I be faced with blank stares if I tell my Lexus parts clerk I want the same parts installed on the assembly line rather than the lesser YZZ parts?

I'm wondering now if I order a set of Akebono brake pads from Amazon, what's the chances they'll be counterfeit? My whole sense of reason in buying online has come crashing down (not that one couldn't buy counterfeit from a brick and morter). WTF is this world coming to?
Old 03-04-21, 06:13 PM
davyboygs
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Anything you buy from Amazon is likely to be counterfit!
Old 03-04-21, 06:23 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davyboygs
Anything you buy from Amazon is likely to be counterfit!
Unless you aim to buy cheap Chinese crap. Nobody is counterfeiting it!
Old 03-04-21, 11:25 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This could be why I am on the 3rd radiator in my SC in less than a year - they are all leaking slowly at the top tank. Denso and Cryomax are from the same factory and OEM - the Cryomax I put in one night, and test drove the SC the next day and 10 miles later the slow leak is back from the crimps on the radiator plastic tank same exact spot as previous new Denso.. I have a whole thread about this, which I am about to add a bunch of new info I just discovered. Less than 1500 miles across the period of a year on these 3 radiators.. something screwy is going on and even Denso is being turned to **** and made in China now
Old 03-05-21, 08:55 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Some parts are not as expensive as they were before...shop around.
This is a toyota dealer in Virginia:

Old 03-06-21, 06:00 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting thread. I purchased an OEM timing belt kit off of eBay knowing that it was sent directly from the dealership of Lexus in Scottsdale, AZ. This certainly makes one wonder what independent repair shops might receive and use for repairs. I also remember visiting an independent repair shop in SoCA that specialized in repairing Lexus and when asked what type of parts they would use for a timing belt job they specifically stated only OEM and would not use any other brand. Perhaps conservative, but counterfeit parts may have been their reason.

Last edited by sixonemale; 03-06-21 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-06-21, 02:20 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sixonemale
...I also remember visiting an independent repair shop in SoCA that specialized in repairing Lexus and when asked what type of parts they would use for a timing belt job they specifically stated only OEM and would not use any other brand. Perhaps conservative, but counterfeit parts may have been their reason.
I see your thinking, but if you watch both videos, it is hard for anyone other than a Lexus/Toyota parts expert to distinguish between a Lexus/Toyota OEM part and a counterfeit Lexus/Toyota OEM part. Thus, unless the indy shop is aware of this scam, they may be buying their "OEM" parts on Ebay and Amazon from parties who are not authorized Lexus/Toyota parts dealers, and getting counterfeit OEM parts unknowingly.

This is all very disturbing. Buyers beware, and counterfeiters be exposed and put out of business! Educating consumers is the only recourse, so I hope this topic gets a lot of traction in all the CL forums. Thanks again to Double-D for bringing it to our attention!