SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can't feel engine idling any more. (Motor Mounts)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 05:28 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Can't feel engine idling any more. (Motor Mounts)

Motor mounts were on my list of refit projects. Never experienced any thunks with engine acceleration/deceleration. Also, I didn't see excess motor motion, but based on age (2002 model year), it was reasonable to get the mounts done. Several on the forum have managed to do it themselves, including mention that they were successful because their mounts were already split into two, especially the left mount which is more difficult to extract.

I don't have an engine hoist and lifting bars have not been reported in a DIY here. Moreover, mine did not appear to be torn in half and it was going to be new territory extracting an intact left mount. It was more than I felt comfortable doing myself.

I also wanted to change my differential gear oil, but unseen gunk inside the fill plug had prevented my 10 mm hex getting a good purchase. I didn't realize my hex was not fully inserted into the fill plug. As soon as I noticed the breaker bar moving, but not the plug, I stopped. Oh, great!

I had Dan Fast in Bellevue do the work for me. They had previously installed my Magnaflow Catback exhaust. Brandon and his crew did a great job on the mounts and getting the differential cracked open. They needed to use an air chisel to open the partially deformed fill plug. They'll replace the damaged plug for me when I return with a new plug.

Mounts did not look anywhere near as horrible as some have posted despite 226K miles. However, they were starting to crack and were maybe 40% through tear on the worst one.

Transmission mount looked pretty good.

They reported that the differential was "super clean" when they got the plugs open.

Post the motor mount replacement, I was astonished. The slight hum-like vibration I was accustomed to detecting while idling was basically gone. After the engine was warmed up, I could no longer feel the engine was idling at stop lights. Heck, the impulse of my wiper blades was super noticeable compared to the absence of engine idle vibration. They were not completely bad or horrible mounts, but wow. It made a huge difference in idle smoothness.

Very pleased with the results.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 03-05-21 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-05-21, 07:49 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

I was hoping you would make a DIY for the motor mounts
Old 03-05-21, 08:00 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Man’s gots to know his limits.

Don't despair. A fuel injector adventure is in the near future. Waiting for final parts to arrive from the UAE.
Old 03-05-21, 08:10 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Wise man.
I'm getting lazy about fixing car... Not sure when I'll get that motor mounts done.

Are you going to replace or clean? I think BGW70 did a cleaning DIY before. I've been using the Techron concentrate every 1000 miles and I think it helps.
Old 03-05-21, 08:38 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Replace. A set of 8 reman'ed Densos are already here. Waiting for fuel pulse dampers and drier weather. Engine is running very well, and ECU is within self-adjustment range, but it's an experiment to see if I can get the LTFT's to go further neutral.

I'm replacing the fuel pulse dampers because pulling them off will allow easier fuel rail removal. Course, have to get the gaskets as well.

Techron three or four times/year here as well. It does smooth the idle after a treatment. Motor mounts took away what the Techron didn't

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 03-05-21 at 10:01 PM.