SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any Pics of wrapped SC's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 11:47 AM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Any Pics of wrapped SC's?

The clearcoat on the trunk of our SC is flaking off, much to our dismay. I've had quoted a price to strip and paint just the trunk and blend in with the rear fenders. But I'm skeptical of doing this for 3 reasons (1) after 14 years I think the difference will be noticible (2) the rest of the car has little rock chips and minor scratches and (3) I spend so much time washing and detailing this car, it would bug me every time. Because of all the little trim pieces surrounding the top parts, I'm thinking a whole paint job has to be rather expensive to get it done right. So...I've considered wrapping it. I understand the wrap will only be for about 3 years, but I'm okay with that. I'm going to use the KPMF material KPMF K75400 Gloss Red Black Iridescent and have a quote for $1,100 to wrap it. If anyone has had their SC wrapped, would you please post some pictures?

Thanks,
Rich
Maple Valley, WA
Old 03-10-21, 01:02 PM
SC0TT
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichardMor
The clearcoat on the trunk of our SC is flaking off, much to our dismay. I've had quoted a price to strip and paint just the trunk and blend in with the rear fenders. But I'm skeptical of doing this for 3 reasons (1) after 14 years I think the difference will be noticible (2) the rest of the car has little rock chips and minor scratches and (3) I spend so much time washing and detailing this car, it would bug me every time. Because of all the little trim pieces surrounding the top parts, I'm thinking a whole paint job has to be rather expensive to get it done right. So...I've considered wrapping it. I understand the wrap will only be for about 3 years, but I'm okay with that. I'm going to use the KPMF material KPMF K75400 Gloss Red Black Iridescent and have a quote for $1,100 to wrap it. If anyone has had their SC wrapped, would you please post some pictures?

Thanks,
Rich
Maple Valley, WA
Hey Rich,

I am somewhat in the same shoes you're in and plan on either repainting the color to factory or wrapping it orange and black similar to the one below.

From what I researched is that car wraps do not behave the same as car paint, meaning theres not a mirror finish after a wax compared to a car wrap. Also a good paint job can be as 3 to 5 times the cost of a wrap job. If you truly love your SC, get a paint job! Car wraps can be noticeable when driving unless it is a matte color.

Old 03-10-21, 08:47 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Hey Sc0tt, thanks for the advice, unfortunately too late - they started wrapping today. I’ll post pictures when complete and live with it for as long as we can stand it or 3 years, which ever comes first.

That orange is a head snapper! We’re not going quite as wild 😂
Old 03-11-21, 05:17 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Here you go, not mine, from someone on this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by digitatc:
joemg (05-06-21), RichardMor (03-11-21)
Old 03-12-21, 06:33 AM
Hemisphere
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

the silver SC with the black roof looks great. I can't tell which - or perhaps both - were wrapped. are they matte finished?

I have a black SC and am considering wrapping the roof in silver or a dove gray color. also wrapping just the hood in a matte black, along with the lower side panels. another reason to consider this is I had some body work done - including removing the dreaded spoiler - and though OK the paint over the body work where the holes for the spoiler were show some slight blistering, probably from too quick sanding. The wrap, I'd hope, should help mask this. Presumably a wrap job would be smoother than most paint jobs, especially over bodywork.
another question is whether there's any restrictions on wrap color choices over different underlying paint. for example, with my black car are there colors that would not cover it, such as a silver or gray wrap.
Old 03-12-21, 07:19 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Alternative would be dipping the car. That's easier than a regular paint job and well within the DIY skill and cost range.
Old 03-12-21, 10:39 AM
RichardMor
Driver

Vinyl wrap will cover any color paint, however it needs to be baby-butt smooth as it will transfer any physical blemishes. Well...if you can feel it, it will most likely show. There are several companies providing vinyl wrap. The quality is all over the place. The thicknesses vary. The adhesives are different. Application knowledge and technique is critical for it to turn out looking well. Applying to flat smooth surfaces can be done by a 3rd Grader, but the curves, corners, edges, etc., can be a challenge. Some need more stretching, some need more heat. So ensure you practice or see prior jobs if paying someone.

it’s kinda fun to review all the potential choices - www.metrostyling.com click on Products/vinyl wraps.
Old 03-12-21, 11:37 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I had my blue roof wrapped in silver years ago and its great, but I did had the usual very small crud in the corner of the roof which was hardly noticable. It showed up more after the wrap, but has never got any worse. As Richard said the bodywork has to be absolutely perfect for wrapping or faults will look worse.
The guys who did mine also did my interior and steering wheel. I watched the guy do the wheel and it took ages, but came out fantastic and is still as good today seven years later.
Excuse the crappy gear shift that has been changed now.

The following 6 users liked this post by WIL44:
Buster06 (03-12-21), Kira X (10-20-21), Neil E (03-12-21), RichardMor (03-12-21), sc4tlc (03-12-21), Seattle SCone (03-12-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-12-21, 10:46 PM
RichardMor
Driver

I talked with the shop that is wrapping my car about wrapping the steering wheel. I’ve never understood why Lexus had such beautifully grained wood in their interiors then had their steering wheels done in green! Not even close to matching.

I’m dubious about having it wrapped - looking & feeling good and holding up with the weather extremes we get.

It’s probably been 4 to 5 years ago, I sent a wheel to California - had the leather portion wrapped with dark blue leather and the wood portion redone with burled walnut that closely matched the dash. IIRC, that only cost about $250.

The following users liked this post:
WIL44 (03-16-21)
Old 04-18-21, 02:16 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

That silver over blue is drop dead gorgeous!!!! And getting 7 years out of it sounds great. Did you do the prep work or did the shop do it?
Old 04-19-21, 11:42 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
That silver over blue is drop dead gorgeous!!!! And getting 7 years out of it sounds great. Did you do the prep work or did the shop do it?
There was no prep work required apart for a good wax and they just make sure it is perfectly clean at the shop before wrapping it.
Old 04-19-21, 09:07 PM
RichardMor
Driver

We’re very happy with how the car turned out. Color is not so much different from the stock Matador Red Mica, maybe a touch darker, but the color really pops, especially in the sunlight.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichardMor:
joemg (05-06-21), WIL44 (04-20-21)
Old 04-20-21, 04:50 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

I would have thought that the wax would have caused a lessening of the adhesion of the wrap. But you say its OK?
Old 04-20-21, 08:57 PM
RichardMor
Driver

jimisbell - experts at wrapping will strip a car of wax before applying a wrap material. I helped doing so to my car. Wax would inhibit adhesion.
Old 04-20-21, 09:04 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

That is what I thought too, but WIL44 says he waxed the top before the wrap...AND it HAS lasted 7 years!!!

Quick Reply: Any Pics of wrapped SC's?