SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What is that GORGEOUS leather smell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-21, 03:10 PM
signalfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is that GORGEOUS leather smell?

So I've got a 2004 SC430, bought about a year ago now. Pearl white with 'baseball mitt' color upholstery. When I first got it I sorta presumed the previous owner must have worn some expensive and downright stunning men's cologne - this car smells GREAT. Leather + honey + amber, would be my description. I mean I would seriously get down on my knees and beg to marry this fragrance... it's been a year now and the smell hasn't faded one bit; it's hard to believe that the original leather still has a 'new car smell' so does anyone know what this is? A particular leather conditioner that might have been used, some diabolical marketing tactic by Lexus, whaaaat?
Old 03-15-21, 06:16 AM
st3rnly
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I got my car with 130k, so I'm not sure what they smell like from the factory. However, I can recommend Zaino Z9 + Z10 Leather cleaner and conditioner. They will leave your car smelling like a leather factory.
The following users liked this post:
signalfire (03-15-21)
Old 03-15-21, 11:21 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Did u search your car for some kind of fragrance card? (aka pine tree looking thing) Maybe under the seat? I agree it is rare the smell would stay around for a year. That makes me think it is a fragrance Card. The other option was the car was detailed right before you bought it and they sprayed a scent in there
Old 03-15-21, 07:06 PM
signalfire
Driver School Candidate

I thought of that (fragrance card) but nope. I've decided to buy some of that Zaino product - their Z9/10 leather cleaners and conditioners sound like that might have been used on the car, although the smell would *still* have had to last for a full year since I bought it. I'm actually loathe to drive with the top down for fear of losing that wonderful fragrance. It's as if Ricardo Montalban were underneath the driver's seat whispering 'Riicchh Corrinnthiann Leathher' in the sexiest voice ever...
JTho (04-24-21)
Old 03-17-21, 09:15 AM
Lexnsun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That smell might be Adams Leather protectant

Originally Posted by signalfire
So I've got a 2004 SC430, bought about a year ago now. Pearl white with 'baseball mitt' color upholstery. When I first got it I sorta presumed the previous owner must have worn some expensive and downright stunning men's cologne - this car smells GREAT. Leather + honey + amber, would be my description. I mean I would seriously get down on my knees and beg to marry this fragrance... it's been a year now and the smell hasn't faded one bit; it's hard to believe that the original leather still has a 'new car smell' so does anyone know what this is? A particular leather conditioner that might have been used, some diabolical marketing tactic by Lexus, whaaaat?
  1. Adams Leather

protectant
signalfire (03-17-21)
Old 04-23-21, 12:05 PM
AlexAviles
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

There is a classic leather cleaner and conditioner called Leather Honey. It’s a bit expensive and has had a long standing reputation for being one of the best leather conditioners for all leather applications. Maybe it’s that?

https://www.leatherhoney.com/?utm_so...SAAEgK8j_D_BwE
Old 04-23-21, 12:26 PM
signalfire
Driver School Candidate

Default You might be right...

Originally Posted by AlexAviles
There is a classic leather cleaner and conditioner called Leather Honey. It’s a bit expensive and has had a long standing reputation for being one of the best leather conditioners for all leather applications. Maybe it’s that?

https://www.leatherhoney.com/?utm_so...SAAEgK8j_D_BwE
I tried "A" leather conditioner, it's close but no cigar. I'll try that one next. Would the smell last over a year now?
Old 04-23-21, 02:50 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you think the smell might be coming from the rear seats since, i doubt, they don't get used and nothing to wear off the smell? Regardless I would just buy the conditioner. I clean my leathers with wooloite+water and then rinse well. I also apply the conditioner WITH MY HANDS all over the surfaces. Seems to get in deeper and less waste . I'm tempted to try this leather honey but I'm not sure how it would smell on black leather. I can only imagine the carmel leather with the honey smell is intoxicating.
signalfire (04-23-21)
Old 04-23-21, 04:29 PM
WtSpyder
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

No one must not have ever eaten chili with beans in that car!
signalfire (04-23-21)
Old 04-23-21, 04:40 PM
signalfire
Driver School Candidate

I actually have never sat in the back seat, just use them for occasional storage like everyone else. While I *do* doubt they've ever been used, I can't believe the leather smell from when the car was new would be that - even the best perfumes don't last that long in the open air (24 hours is considered great longevity in the perfume business). Oddly, while I'm struck by that fantastic smell every time I get in the car, my partner can't smell anything especially, at all. I think he's burned his nose out putting red pepper flakes on everything.

The quest continues... maybe I'll break down and buy some of that 'Honey' stuff. I have enough leather conditioners now to last me forever, and I don't want to use something that doesn't smell like the upholstery does now, for fear of changing a great part of the car's appeal (besides the obvious that first attracted us all to the SC...)