SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Alternator Replacement Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 11:21 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Alternator Replacement Report

Problem - On my way to work on Monday. Driving normally, no check engine light or any dash indicators to show a problem. As I was driving, my red "Battery" indicator came on. Seconds later, almost all indicators came on the dash. I assumed it was an alternator problem immediately since my battery was only 2 years old. Pulled off the freeway and into a large name brand auto repair for a quick check and diagnosis. Paid $27.00 for the diagnosis to tell me that the Alternator was not charging. There was no way I would ever let them do maintenance on my car anyway but I asked for a battery charge to get home. They didn't have that capability. Of course. Since my battery had been depleted a few times due to stupidity like leaving my emergency flashers on or whatever, I decided to replace the battery on the spot. I purchased the battery with the diagnostic service for $233.00. Not cheap in CA. Drove home with all systems working normally. No dash lights etc.

Next I did some quick research on this forum as well as YT to see what was involved with changing out the Alternator. Found it to be pretty straight forward with the exception of a Pulley needing to be removed to drop the alternator from the bottom. I saw a few post with horror stories of trying to get the pulley off and just didn't have time to risk that I would run into a similar situation so I called my local Lexus dealer for a price on a new one. Over $300.00 with core charge. I made the decision to just have my dealer do the replacement because of time and I also live in a condo where working on vehicles in the parking lot is not allowed. I can get away with quick things like oil changes etc., but this job was not guarantee to be quick. I got a same day appointment amazingly. Took her in where they were confused because they expected her to come in on a flatbed. ;-) I still had no dash indicators after driving for approximately 25 miles. But it did have a brand new battery also. They questioned if it was the alternator at all. I told them that I was making no assumptions since the name brand store mechanics were not what I would call a trusted source for diagnosing my girl. They took my keys and got me a loaner vehicle. 26 hours later she was done. Inspected, a few minor oil leaks that they admit are nothing to worry about. Just monitor for now. No Power steering leakage issues noted so that's a plus. Washed, tires shined up, vacuumed and all using genuine Lexus parts with one year warranty. Total cost was $563.01. They did say that the cost book stated it was an hour long procedure and it took them with all of their equipment and experience, two and a half hours. BUT they still only charged me the book labor and not for the time it actually took. All in all, I was very Pleased with this dealership. I don't say that often. My compliments have to be earned. They earned them.

So, she's back on the road with a new battery and alternator and should be issue free for years to come. Thanks.

Paul
The following 2 users liked this post by Raven01750:
dommo25 (03-31-21), JHNSTN (03-28-21)
Old 03-26-21, 02:03 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Paul: What year is your SC and how many miles when your alternator failed?
Old 03-26-21, 03:22 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Another alternator repair...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...and-labor.html
Old 03-26-21, 06:22 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
02 w 128K. But I have to say that I have owned the car since 100460Miles on the odometer. I didn't bother going back through my service records to see if it had been changed by a previous owner. But now you have me curious.

P.S. went through the service records and see no mention of the alternator ever being replaced.

Paul

Last edited by Raven01750; 03-26-21 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-26-21, 10:22 PM
gleeson
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
All in all, I was very Pleased with this dealership. I don't say that often. My compliments have to be earned. They earned them.

So, she's back on the road with a new battery and alternator and should be issue free for years to come. Thanks.

Paul
Paul, thank you for sharing your experience with your battery and alternator replacement. can you share the dealership you used for my future reference? i like to keep track of good experiences (and bad) with dealerships.

thanks.
Old 03-27-21, 07:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Wow, $563 sounds pretty reasonable from a dealer. Glad that you got it fixed.
Old 03-27-21, 10:18 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Originally Posted by gleeson
Paul, thank you for sharing your experience with your battery and alternator replacement. can you share the dealership you used for my future reference? i like to keep track of good experiences (and bad) with dealerships.

thanks.
Since you asked, I live in SoCal and it was Lexus of Escondido. The two service items I had done were programming my new TPMS sensors and now the Alternator. The TPMS programming procedure actually cost more when everything was complete. But their prices for parts were the best in my area with two other Lexus dealers to shop at.

I do believe that its still a rarity for their mechanics to get their hands on an SC. She drew quite a bit of attention in the Service bay when she pulled in. But they have been nothing but square with me in our dealings in my opinion and am happy to give them a shout out.

Paul
Old 03-27-21, 02:53 PM
gleeson
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Since you asked, I live in SoCal and it was Lexus of Escondido. The two service items I had done were programming my new TPMS sensors and now the Alternator. The TPMS programming procedure actually cost more when everything was complete. But their prices for parts were the best in my area with two other Lexus dealers to shop at.

I do believe that its still a rarity for their mechanics to get their hands on an SC. She drew quite a bit of attention in the Service bay when she pulled in. But they have been nothing but square with me in our dealings in my opinion and am happy to give them a shout out.

Paul
thanks for taking the time to share your dealer experience. there's no greater endorsement of a dealer than a satisfied customer!
Old 03-27-21, 03:50 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

Lexus of Westminster in Southern California earned the high mark in my opinion. They have done my airbag recall twice, both times with courtesy and professional. Even though I do not take my SC to them for service due to the cost saving, I highly recommend to those who do.
Old 03-28-21, 05:38 PM
JHNSTN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to butt in here but my 02 experienced the same thing at 130K or so. It had been hard to start for a couple of months before this happened but always jumped right off. No lights, no warnings, just boom, dash lights up like a Christmas tree and the motor died. We replaced a two-year-old battery and take it to the shop. Repairs were about the same as mentioned. Coming up on 5K later and no problems. I saw a big increase in MPG after replacing it. I don't know if it was related or not but it was noted.
Old 03-29-21, 10:18 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by JHNSTN
I saw a big increase in MPG after replacing it. I don't know if it was related or not but it was noted.
That makes sense, now you have "More Spark" which results in a cleaner detonation. Which results in More Power. Which results in less gas needed.
Old 03-29-21, 12:48 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
That makes sense, now you have "More Spark" which results in a cleaner detonation. Which results in More Power. Which results in less gas needed.
Or, the MPG improvement resulted from the resetting of the ECU during the battery exchange.
The following users liked this post:
Seattle SCone (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 03:09 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Or, the MPG improvement resulted from the resetting of the ECU during the battery exchange.
Could be that also. Did you know the SC had two different alternator outputs?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ternators.html

Maybe they replaced his 130 Alternator for a 150 amp one
Old 03-29-21, 03:26 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Could be that also. Did you know the SC had two different alternator outputs?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ternators.html

Maybe they replaced his 130 Alternator for a 150 amp one
I always thought it was 100 or 130 amp...check out this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...lternator.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-29-21 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 05:54 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Higher amp alternators create more drag on engines, theoretically resulting in lower MPG's.

Quick Reply: Alternator Replacement Report